Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3) Has Arte already mounted the car tire on his rim? Are you looking for someone to do it? I recommend my friend Danny at Moto-Tire in Phoenix for this. Have Montoya contact me at [email protected] or 480-440-4666.
Mi amigo usa su esposa para montar la llanta de carro

Chingada!!!
No kidding, that's amazing Art and his wife mounted up the car tire on the FJR rim working together. I thought you had to use a tire changing machine for that one, I'm still using my buddy Danny at Moto-Tire to do mine though.

I've decided to break ranks and install this Toyo Extensa Hp tomorrow.

99819970.jpg

I picked this tire up for $73 shipped. It has 9/32" left, has never been plugged and was mfg in 2011. I'm sure this increases the chances my bike will spontaneously combust even while I'm reinstalling the rear wheel.

I look at this like trying any other tire. I didn't try a PR2, Angel or Storm thinking this is the only tire I will ever use again. For the moment, the CT would be a good choice for me since I can't ride all the miles I have planned for the remainder of the year on a single set of PR2's which is my current LD tire. So I'll give it a try and if it handles to my liking I have 3 rallies this year I'd like to run on it.

Besides, 2-up LD riding just makes a m/c tire flat anyway ;) The pic below is my current 10k mile PR2 ridden 60/40 2-up.

6ccc4224.jpg

I'll report back after I take it for a spin this weekend and snap a pic of everything installed to make it official.

Mounted up and taken for a quick test ride:

74e871a1.jpg

The tire went on easily using our pneumatic tire machine at the shop and balanced with .75oz.

I honestly had low expectations for how a CT would perform and feel. I was surprised at how subtle(minor) the changes were for me. I actually caught myself riding about usual speed in the first turn on my road and thinking maybe I should back it down and ease into things a little more. I didn't have any issues on this ride which was 50/50 back roads/hwy. My plan now is to put a few more miles on before I head out 2-up for the Not Superman 100hr rally here in a couple weeks.

I started at 32psi and at the end of the ride my pressure was 37. Is that increase what you guys see normally? I was thinking maybe I needed to add a couple pounds, especially when going to 2-up. Thoughts?

Welcome to the Darkside Paul. You have been added to the Darkside FAQ as #55. I hope it works well for you and good luck in the NSR.

Forgot to add that the pressure rise you see is pretty much on par for a good pressure. I would suggest leaving it at 32 psi for two up riding. In this case, you're simply not going to exceed the load rating of the tire when two up. I played with this a bit with a 200 lb passenger, (in full gear), and both the bike and the passenger seemed more comfortable at my normal pressures. She, (the pass), felt the ride was harsher with the extra pressure.

Still, no harm in playing around and seeing what you think about how it feels. That's the most important factor in play, how does it feel for you and your specific riding needs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reverend Eric,

You must feel like a proud papa watching this thread go almost 150 pages and almost 3000 posts!?

Like watching one of your kids grow up?

Be careful, though...one day, when they're about 16-17 years old, you'll get the call....."Mister Howard, we found your car about 50 yards out in a lake. Your son is alright, but he's been incarcerated at least 'til he sobers up."

To which you need to reply....."KEEP HIM!!!"

:rofl:

Hello everyone,

I've decided to post my experience with a car tire. I'll start first with some backgound:

I have a 2006 FJR with 140000km (87000 mi). I use it for daily transportation to work and for as many trips as my boss will allow. I bought the FJR as an all around do everything kinda bike with a sporty streak. It had to be reliable, fast, safe and above all fun. So far the bike has not let me down.

I've ridden with enough of you forum members to safely say that if we could, we would ride the slab with a Wing and the ride the twisties with a Ducati. But we can't, so that's why we compromised with the FJR. For me and many others, twisty riding is a very important aspect of FJR ownership. Go to any of the many rallies and you will find the routes are almost exclusively based around the best twisty roads. I'm a competent rider and like to be in the faster half of a group ride.

I have been going through at least 2 sets of tires/year since I bought the bike. After reading the reports and wanting to get better tire life I mounted up a Bridgestone Potenza grid tire. There was surprisingly little difference in feel between the bike and car tire especially under sedate use. To and from work, it was like I forgot it was a car tire. I kept the car tire on for over a year and rode it through every imaginable road surface. While I had the tire on, I kept trying to convince myself it was ok. I liked the fact that it was cheaper but I had to work SO hard in the twisties. Finally, this spring while riding twisties with my buddies I said enough is enough and I removed the csr tire and installed a set of PR3's.

It was like fireworks went off! I had forgotten why I bought the bike in the first place....FUN. My fun factor went up 10 fold. The bike rocked around corners like it was on rails. No more fighting the twisties, I was chewing them up and spitting them out. On that day I'd have paid anything for the fun I was having. That day I realized that the car tire had taken away the fun and wasn't worth the savings on tires.

Now the specifics:

On flat highways it's ok except for slanted cambers that you have to constantly fight.

Traction is always great

Tire life is fantastic

Uneven pavement when parking can make you drop the bike as the tire tips you from side to side.

It looks cool and always starts a conversation wherever you go.

The twisties suck! Yes it can do them, but it isn't fun. It is hard work. It's not bad on high speed sweepers that don't transition, but abyssmal in tight twisties that rock from side to side. As you lean the bike over, there is a "settling" spot that feels good. But in tight twisties there isn't time to find that settling spot and you are constantly "muscling" the bike around the corners. The front tire takes a lot more abuse with the car tire than without. Hanging off the bike helps, but not as much as you would get with the bike tire and still requires much more counter steer.

In conclusion: I would not recommend a car tire to anyone who likes to ride twisty roads. I put up with the flat roads so that I can have fun on the twisty roads, not the other way around. Remember why you bought this bike and realize you WILL be sacrificing fun for cost savings. For me it's not worth it.

Mike

Hello everyone,

I've decided to post my experience with a car tire. I'll start first with some backgound:

<big snip>

In conclusion: I would not recommend a car tire to anyone who likes to ride twisty roads. I put up with the flat roads so that I can have fun on the twisty roads, not the other way around. Remember why you bought this bike and realize you WILL be sacrificing fun for cost savings. For me it's not worth it.

Mike
Nice post Mike. :good:

From the beginning, I've always said that if you live for the twisties, a CT is likely not the way to go. We all define fun in different ways. Many riders are exactly as you have described, yet others use the bike to travel, not just to ride twisty roads or travel on or to twisty roads. I enjoy a nice set of curves, but it's just wasting my time if I'm down in the lower gears too much. For me, I'd just as soon enjoy 30 mph and above posted corners. That keeps me moving and regardless of tire choice, I'm not poking along or having to worry about someone that can't corner coming into my lane. Roads like the "Tail of the Dragon" have no appeal to me. But that's just me.

Hello everyone,

<big snip>

Mike

From the beginning, I've always said that if you live for the twisties, a CT is likely not the way to go. We all define fun in different ways. Many riders are exactly as you have described, yet others use the bike to travel, not just to ride twisty roads or travel on or to twisty roads. I enjoy a nice set of curves, but it's just wasting my time if I'm down in the lower gears too much. For me, I'd just as soon enjoy 30 mph and above posted corners. That keeps me moving and regardless of tire choice, I'm not poking along or having to worry about someone that can't corner coming into my lane. Roads like the "Tail of the Dragon" have no appeal to me. But that's just me.
NOT SO!!!!

I don't know if it's the different manufacturer and model of car tire, or the rider, but I ABSOLUTELY LOVE :wub: the car tire in the twisties. MORE SO than a moto tire. To me it feels more planted and stable, it offers increased ground clearance and lean angles, and it makes it easier for me to achieve those severe lean angles. I am faster in the twisties with a car tire than a motorcycle tire!!!

I was fortunate enough to spend three days in southwestern Colorado last week and got to do some more exploring of the handling limits of the FJR with the car tire installed.

I had a BLAST :yahoo: railing around corners with that car tire. I hope to do a more extensive write-up when I get some time, but for a teaser, here is a photo of me on the Million Dollar Highway, US550, just south of the absolutely picturesque town of Ouray, CO.

No issues with a car tire in the twisties here!

IMG_8356B.jpg

For Sale to Darksiders - Men's XXL Black short sleeve Tee with the infamous "Come to the dark side, we have cookies... ~V"

100% cotton pre-shrunk fabric. Made in Honduras.

This shirt is used, clean and undamaged. I've worn it at events perhaps 10 times, but since I'm not a Darksider now, it won't get worn by me any more so it's up for sale. I bought it from ThinkGeek. Linky They want $18 for the XXL size.

$10 shipped to your door in the lower 48.

288sf2r.jpg

w1fwcm.jpg

Hello everyone,

<big snip>

Mike

Kinda wanted to add a big set of FUZZY BALLS to this Eric.. But a number of riders who kick as in the twistys has something different to say regarding the flaming death we CT users will eventually suffer.

I will say that the twistys, even if I lived in an area with them.. Lost their appeal to me 20 years ago.

Back then my reflexes were somewhat sharper and my sense of 'self preservation' had yet to develop.

JMHO here, but if you wanna play speed racer buy a bike dedicated to that pursuit.. 600 plus pounds of bike is too much to get serious in the twistys.I'm not denying ya can't go fast but up against a serious designed to tear up the roads bike these things don't stand a chance.

The fast guys will be fast regardless of the tire. If anything, my cornering confidence has improved since the addition.

Hello everyone,

<big snip>

Mike

NOT SO!!!!

I don't know if it's the different manufacturer and model of car tire, or the rider, but I ABSOLUTELY LOVE :wub: the car tire in the twisties. MORE SO than a moto tire. To me it feels more planted and stable, it offers increased ground clearance and lean angles, and it makes it easier for me to achieve those severe lean angles. I am faster in the twisties with a car tire than a motorcycle tire!!!

I was fortunate enough to spend three days in southwestern Colorado last week and got to do some more exploring of the handling limits of the FJR with the car tire installed.

I had a BLAST :yahoo: railing around corners with that car tire. I hope to do a more extensive write-up when I get some time, but for a teaser, here is a photo of me on the Million Dollar Highway, US550, just south of the absolutely picturesque town of Ouray, CO.

No issues with a car tire in the twisties here!

IMG_8356B.jpg

Fuk!! You are my hero ya lop ear fuker! :wub:

I'm sorry to say that yes, I am a Darksider now. It took me this long to post it because I had the strangest thing happen to me after getting the tire on the bike. I suddenly couldn't figure out how to use a computer, I wanted to teach my bike how to fly, and felt like I had dropped 100 IQ points. I briefly knew what it was like to be Skooter...

I decided screw it, if you're going to do something stupid, don't half ass it, go full retard and bought an Exalto tire. When it arrived, it had cooled down to about 100 here in the valley so I figured I might as well use this nice cool evening and mount the tire myself instead of paying someone to do it. I setup my HF tire changer in the back yard and proceeded to mount it. It did take more work than a moto tire, but with the assistance of my wife I managed to wrestle the tire on the rim. It did take a Mojo lever, a few blocks of wood, and 3 spoons to get the tire mounted, but I got it on.

When I took it out for a quick spin after install it, the bike felt off. It was almost like I had a flat rear tire. The bike just seemed to handle a little sluggish, and just off. When I road into work today, I still noticed some of the oddness of the abomination I was riding, but it didn't feel as bad as it did the other day. I will say that I initially did try the original CT abomination OCFJR had way back in the day and this did not feel nearly as bad as that did. I truly did not like the way that tire felt on the bike and at that time said "Not for me, thanks." For whatever reason, after Skooter told me he had dabbled in the dark deed and liked it, I was intrigued. I don't know if this will be a long term thing for me or not, but I still have a fairly new set of PR2's mounted on my other rims to fall back on if I just don't like swinging this way.

exalto.jpg

I'm sorry to say that yes, I am a Darksider now. It took me this long to post it because I had the strangest thing happen to me after getting the tire on the bike. I suddenly couldn't figure out how to use a computer, I wanted to teach my bike how to fly, and felt like I had dropped 100 IQ points. I briefly knew what it was like to be Skooter...

I decided screw it, if you're going to do something stupid, don't half ass it, go full retard and bought an Exalto tire. When it arrived, it had cooled down to about 100 here in the valley so I figured I might as well use this nice cool evening and mount the tire myself instead of paying someone to do it. I setup my HF tire changer in the back yard and proceeded to mount it. It did take more work than a moto tire, but with the assistance of my wife I managed to wrestle the tire on the rim. It did take a Mojo lever, a few blocks of wood, and 3 spoons to get the tire mounted, but I got it on.

When I took it out for a quick spin after install it, the bike felt off. It was almost like I had a flat rear tire. The bike just seemed to handle a little sluggish, and just off. When I road into work today, I still noticed some of the oddness of the abomination I was riding, but it didn't feel as bad as it did the other day. I will say that I initially did try the original CT abomination OCFJR had way back in the day and this did not feel nearly as bad as that did. I truly did not like the way that tire felt on the bike and at that time said "Not for me, thanks." For whatever reason, after Skooter told me he had dabbled in the dark deed and liked it, I was intrigued. I don't know if this will be a long term thing for me or not, but I still have a fairly new set of PR2's mounted on my other rims to fall back on if I just don't like swinging this way.

exalto.jpg
End Of Days is truly coming...

Welcome to the Darkside Art, you have been listed in the FAQ as Darksider # 56.

That is one damn impressive photograph right there Folks, even if I am bragging about my own Kid! Every naysayer on this Forum regarding car tires on FJR's should be made to stare at this picture for a minimum of five minutes: An Incredible lean angle! Outstanding Performance Photo, SkooterG!

IMG_8356B.jpg

That is one damn impressive photograph right there Folks, even if I am bragging about my own Kid! Every naysayer on this Forum regarding car tires on FJR's should be made to stare at this picture for a minimum of five minutes: An Incredible lean angle! Outstanding Performance Photo, SkooterG!

IMG_8356B.jpg
Calling bullshit here Jake an the fatman.. I bet if we were to see pinky's exit from this corner he'd be in the fookin trees!

I NEVER, EVER question SkooterG, but I am confused by this fantastic picture. The right hand side mirror looks suspiciously like a GEN 2 mirror. It is not the rounded mirror of a Gen 1. Please, someone set me straight on this. In fact the color looks kinda dark...

I NEVER, EVER question SkooterG, but I am confused by this fantastic picture. The right hand side mirror looks suspiciously like a GEN 2 mirror. It is not the rounded mirror of a Gen 1. Please, someone set me straight on this. In fact the color looks kinda dark...
I believe only 03 had the rounded mirrors. 04 and up are all the same style. You can also look at the rear turn signals. Gen II has clear lenses with amber bulbs. His bike has amber lenses.

I believe only 03 had the rounded mirrors. 04 and up are all the same style. You can also look at the rear turn signals. Gen II has clear lenses with amber bulbs. His bike has amber lenses.
If you exit this forum and log back in all 3 of the bikes on our opening page have rounded mirrors. I am far from the leading expert in FJR's but the mirror in Skooter's pic is not standard Gen 1.

Nope. All Gen I mirrors are the same.

No conspiracy however, just some Gen II mirrors on a Gen I with a car tire. Just so I could feel REALLY retarded. Thought I had posted photos before that nobody commented on, but I can't find them.

IMG_8263.jpg