Good deal???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burninrice

Reaction score
Been riding an '07 1200GS for the last 9 months... Now that I got that out of my system, I am planning on trading my '05 FJR ABS (which I kept in case I didn't like the Beemer) for a used 2007 FJR with 1000 actual miles in mint condition for $3000 to boot + tax/lic. I don't have to let any farkles go with the '05, just a bike for bike trade. My '05 is in excellent condition with 18,000 miles. Basically, I could have bought the '07 for $9500 straight-out, so they are giving me $6500 for mine or however you want to manipulate the numbers. I bought mine two years ago with some farkles for $8k and the ticker problem was warranted last year. The dealer, who does not sell Yamaha, sunk stupid money into this '07 a year ago and wants to get rid of it. Sound like a decent deal?

I will be glad to return to the FJR fold once again. The GS is a good bike, but I bought it on emotion. Wanted to try the whole "Ghost Rider" adventure on/off road thing, like a lot of other guys. This is all perfectly fine, except that GS weighs about 500+ and handles like it on gravel. Great road bike, though. However, I could never get comfortable on it. Tried three different seat options, etc. The FJR just fits me, I guess. Plus, I don't need to travel 4 hours for maintenance... Come to think of, with an FJR it doesn't need maintenance, except for every 25000 miles. Sweet!

Any and all opinions welcome.

Number one issue... Heat. I've done all the heat mods and it still drives me nuts on warm days.

Number two issue... Honestly, the whole ticker fix thing burned me out on the bike. It will probably be fine and is 100% psychological, but I am a mechanical head-case kind of guy. Had a few issues after the ticker was fixed with some related mechanical stuff. Wouldn't go so far as to say I don't trust the bike anymore, but it's in my head.

Number three... I've researched this trade since last fall. I've seen what fully farkled '05s are going for here and elsewhere and I think if I can p/u a '07 for $9500 and get $6500 for mine stripped-down, I don't know if I can pass that up, given the current econ climate.

Last issue... with the miles I put on, I will be hitting the valve adjustment miles this summer and I don't feel like dropping a grand into the head on that thing. Likelihood is, it won't need any adjustment, but my maintenance habits prohibit me from ignoring it.

Otherwise, I would have no problem keeping the '05. Probably the most beautiful looking bike I've ever owned. Will miss the Galaxy Blue!

...I will be hitting the valve adjustment miles this summer and I don't feel like dropping a grand into the head on that thing.
The valves shouldn't need to be adjusted until 26,000 miles after the tick repair, but it sounds like this is a done deal.

Looking at the aftermath of the work my dealer did on my tick repair, I also feel like I'm riding damaged goods....

I know what it's like to ride a bike that you think "may" have a problem. It's not fun and can really limit your enjoyment on a ride or even prevent you from going on a ride.

Can you afford the $3500 without impacting any other area of your life?

How much is your peace of mind worth?

I, if financially able, would do it.

Besides, I love black cherry.

I know what it's like to ride a bike that you think "may" have a problem. It's not fun and can really limit your enjoyment on a ride or even prevent you from going on a ride.
'Toecutter': Looking at the aftermath of the work my dealer did on my tick repair, I also feel like I'm riding damaged goods....
'burninrice': Number two issue... Honestly, the whole ticker fix thing burned me out on the bike. It will probably be fine and is 100% psychological, but I am a mechanical head-case kind of guy. Had a few issues after the ticker was fixed with some related mechanical stuff. Wouldn't go so far as to say I don't trust the bike anymore, but it's in my head.
Many people get rid of vehicles (cars, motorcycles, etc) right after any major work is done. There seems to be very little trust in the abilities of service personnel these days... :unsure:

Begs the question -- why even have a warranty....? :rolleyes:

Burninrice,

You know, bikes sell for different prices depending on where you are. All you need to decide is if you want out of the old bike and if YOU'RE happy with the price.

Good luck.

Bob

Can you afford the $3500 without impacting any other area of your life?

How much is your peace of mind worth?

I, if financially able, would do it.

Besides, I love black cherry.
Gunny. Well said.

This is really a personal issue. It's nice to have others opinions, but it's really your call. If piece of mind is worth $3500 and you can afford it, fine. Then again, what other issues could you be buying with the '07?????

I have a 2005, with over 40K and no problems so far. I'm not going to worry about it either. From what I've read on this forum, the percentage of ticker bikes is very low.

Good luck, let us know if you have a new 07....

Last edited by a moderator:
Would still like people's opinions. It's not a done deal until I sign the bottom line. If you think it's a bad deal, let me know.

For $3,000. I might consider parting with my Gen I in Galaxy Blue for an '07. Still a tough decision though!