Gosh...why are some cagers complete asses?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mcatrophy, lane sharing is illegal in all US states except California. What networkguy did was technically illegal, but it's his call as to whether the legal situation was actully safer. The other guy's actions were definitely uncalled for, but it's quite common for drivers to act like you've cut their balls off and personally insulted their mommas by you actions in traffic.

It's not like he was going to be held up, right? Anybody actually seen a bike move out from a light slower than traffic wanted to go? Anyone?
That's the whole point.

Part of defensive riding is to not aggravate even the unreasonable drivers if you don't need to.

My suggestion was don't push to the front if it wasn't necessary for safety, particularly where it's illegal, so that drivers might feel you've committed a felony, so they think they are within their rights to punish you.

As for bikes holding up traffic from the lights, few drivers realise what performance bikes have - I'm not talking Hardly Dangerouses here. Though, thinking about it, I suspect drivers in your area are only really aware of HDs, which do seem to have a performance deficit. Of the rider if not the bike. No-one on this forum, of course.
unsure.gif

Perfect example of why, curved or straight, things can go REALLY bad in a queue of cars. Imagine if it there had been a bike in that mess.

https://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c2#/video/us/2012/07/05/evexp-dart-van-crash.hln
Yep! Perfect video TWT, it can happen in a second. I've seen things like that a few times right before my eyes. You could have predicted what was about to happen. That's why I have NO trouble at all with not putting myself there. Like I said: I'll gladly pay the ticket. :)

Can't comment about your situation as I wasn't there except it sounds like you did the safe thing for you at the time. Living in Cali as mentioned drivers don't usually get their panties in a wad for lane splitting, I mean lane sharing. But when traffic is stopped at a light I don't usually never pull to the front like most riders as it does cause stress IMO and that is unwanted or needed.

Personally I maintain my lane space usually off center left so no knucklehead tries and share his ride next to me causing an unsafe condition. C.H.P. friend once told me while on duty they allow lane sharing by bikes as long as traffic is traveling 35 mph or slower and the biker is not traveling more than 10 mph faster than traffic and in a safe manner. Sure many over look this general rule but safe being the key word. And if I'm provoked the best response I can give is none. Now days it doesn't pay to react, but if it was legal to pack like it is in your state, seems like the idiot who yelled at you might have forgot that fact....ride safe. PM.

I thought I would add, after thinking about it, that it's not being a cager that makes him a complete ass, it's being a complete ass that makes him a complete ass.

I wonder if that other guy is on some truck forum right now posting up about why mortorcycle riders are such a bunch of entitled a-holes. It's possible...Right?? :lol:

Now days it doesn't pay to react, but if it was legal to pack like it is in your state, seems like the idiot who yelled at you might have forgot that fact....ride safe. PM.
Most people who have concealed licenses realize that "when the gun goes in the holster, the ego stays behind". Or, as Heinlein puts it "An armed society is a polite society."

Can't comment about your situation as I wasn't there except it sounds like you did the safe thing for you at the time. Living in Cali as mentioned drivers don't usually get their panties in a wad for lane splitting, I mean lane sharing. But when traffic is stopped at a light I don't usually never pull to the front like most riders as it does cause stress IMO and that is unwanted or needed.

Personally I maintain my lane space usually off center left so no knucklehead tries and share his ride next to me causing an unsafe condition. C.H.P. friend once told me while on duty they allow lane sharing by bikes as long as traffic is traveling 35 mph or slower and the biker is not traveling more than 10 mph faster than traffic and in a safe manner. Sure many over look this general rule but safe being the key word. And if I'm provoked the best response I can give is none. Now days it doesn't pay to react, but if it was legal to pack like it is in your state, seems like the idiot who yelled at you might have forgot that fact....ride safe. PM.
Exactomundo. The 3 letters those deranged liberal demorats cry about- CHL

One never knows what such mental disorders can lead to, so better to pack it

and not need it, then otherwise....

Next time some asshat gives you shit at an intersection, do what I do....

Tip my helmet back an inch or two, hawk a gigantic loogey on their windshield and drive off.

Nothin' says lovin' like somethin' from yer lungs!!

I realize what I did is technically illegal. But you know what? If youre travelling down the freeway at 70 and see ahead of you traffic is coming to a screeching halt, so is slowing down but staying close to - or on - the shoulder. I also do that alot. On normal intersection stops I almost always stop 1 car length and on the far right side. But in this case, with this corner, even then it would be blind. If a car came off the exit at 60, I dont care how attentive I was, Id get hit. Just not gonna risk it.

As others have said, I'll take a ticket over getting rear ended.

I realize what I did is technically illegal. But you know what? If youre travelling down the freeway at 70 and see ahead of you traffic is coming to a screeching halt, so is slowing down but staying close to - or on - the shoulder. I also do that alot. On normal intersection stops I almost always stop 1 car length and on the far right side. But in this case, with this corner, even then it would be blind. If a car came off the exit at 60, I dont care how attentive I was, Id get hit. Just not gonna risk it.

As others have said, I'll take a ticket over getting rear ended.
Amen Brother! :)

Next time some asshat gives you shit at an intersection, do what I do....

Tip my helmet back an inch or two, hawk a gigantic loogey on their windshield and drive off.

Nothin' says lovin' like somethin' from yer lungs!!
Howie you GRUB!!!!!!.......I love it!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Now days it doesn't pay to react, but if it was legal to pack like it is in your state, seems like the idiot who yelled at you might have forgot that fact....ride safe. PM.
Most people who have concealed licenses realize that "when the gun goes in the holster, the ego stays behind". Or, as Heinlein puts it "An armed society is a polite society."
The trouble with this type of communication is one can easily take ones word out of context. I fixed it for you. Feel better? But I don't mean to hijack the thread and cause this to be off topic. Move on. PM.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, Ive been riding a long time. Ive experienced tailgaters and such, but yesterday this guy was a complete ass.

This particular exit off the freeway sweeps to the left and stops almost under the freeway, where a lights control the intersection. It feeds on to a 6 lane main road (3 lanes each way) so its a major road. I always hate this exit because its almost a blind corner at the stop line. I usually pull to the far right, almost on the shoulder. Yesterday, however, there were about 6 cars waiting for the light. If I had pulled into the 7th place, it would've been right at the bend of the curve, thus completely blind. So I pulled up to the front next to the car at the 1st spot on the line. Normally people dont care, but this guy rolls down his window and starts yelling at me "WTF do you think youre doing?" I yell back I dont want to wait in a blind corner and get rear ended! He yells "You f***ing bikers think you own the road! But you know what? You dont!" and proceeds to crank his wheel to the extreme right and creep up right in front of me, almost IN the intersection to cut me off! WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT! I back peddle a bit to get out of his way, and he yells "You better move back ass****!". Once the light turned green he peeled out and away.

/sigh. I dont get some people. (pic included...the red X is where I was sitting)
So, just out of curiosity, did anyone else read this and think "their life was in danger?"...

So, Ive been riding a long time. Ive experienced tailgaters and such, but yesterday this guy was a complete ass.

This particular exit off the freeway sweeps to the left and stops almost under the freeway, where a lights control the intersection. It feeds on to a 6 lane main road (3 lanes each way) so its a major road. I always hate this exit because its almost a blind corner at the stop line. I usually pull to the far right, almost on the shoulder. Yesterday, however, there were about 6 cars waiting for the light. If I had pulled into the 7th place, it would've been right at the bend of the curve, thus completely blind. So I pulled up to the front next to the car at the 1st spot on the line. Normally people dont care, but this guy rolls down his window and starts yelling at me "WTF do you think youre doing?" I yell back I dont want to wait in a blind corner and get rear ended! He yells "You f***ing bikers think you own the road! But you know what? You dont!" and proceeds to crank his wheel to the extreme right and creep up right in front of me, almost IN the intersection to cut me off! WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT! I back peddle a bit to get out of his way, and he yells "You better move back ass****!". Once the light turned green he peeled out and away.

/sigh. I dont get some people. (pic included...the red X is where I was sitting)

So, just out of curiosity, did anyone else read this and think "their life was in danger?"...
The potential was certainly there, would you like to take the chance?

So in this situation, because the potential "might be there", just empty a clip into the guys window?

So in this situation, because the potential "might be there", just empty a clip into the guys window?

Who in the hell is talking about blowing somebody away?????

I really cannot see any link to doing that??? Not really sure where your mind set is man but mine ain't there with it I can assure you.

I was talking about getting yourself out of the way of a nut job behind the wheel of a dangerous thing who has the potential to run you over? Then I say what ever it takes to get out of harms way...not pumping someone's arse full (Keep reading) of lead.......