gps maps and mac computers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
can anyone assist me.... just got a mac book pro and am trying to keep everything on one system.... is there a program like mapsource to use for the zumo and nuvi gps units.. unfortunately i can not load mapsource on the mac and it does not recognize the maps already created by mapsource... i need help..... saw a few links by garmin and tried to install them but i could not get any where... any help is greatly appreciated..

thanks so much

chrissy

The mac version is called Mac Road Trips...... and it SUCKS compared to Mapsource for PC's. I went with a Mac after my regular computers crashed a few times. After installing the Garmin for mac applications (I have a Zumo and love it), I almost wish I would've just bought another regular PC. YMMV.

I'll try and get you the info for the download.... stay tuned!

Yer clicky's not a clicky, but mine is. Click here.

And BTW, saying something sucks compared to MapSource is saying something!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
with the road trips by garmin application i can only get the major roadways to display... is there any way to get the secondary roads and also the minor roadways to show... am i missing something with this program application...

chrissy

This is the ONLY way I found to run any decent mapping program on a mac. clicky Allthough for me, I wanted even smaller than a macbook pro. So I went and got a little netbook just for traveling and mapping. Works like a champ.

with the road trips by garmin application i can only get the major roadways to display... is there any way to get the secondary roads and also the minor roadways to show... am i missing something with this program application...

chrissy
Read the Notes page on the link in my earlier post, especially bullet # 3. You have to apply the unlock codes that came with your device, and apparently migrate the map files that it wants to install onto windows. (I'm not a Mac guy, so all I can give you is what I'm reading there. But you only get the detail maps that you've purchased, or that came with an unlock code with your GPS receiver.)

I have used Mapsource on a Mac-with bootcamp for many years. Using bootcamp or parallel program that emulates a pc program on the Mac is sadly the best option as there is no great alternative that runs natively on the mac.

RoadTrip is the old final release of the beta Bobcat and your right it's not so hot. The newest Mac routing software is BaseCamp much improved over RoadTrip but still lacking some from the old standby Mapsource. Then you'll need MapInstall to well, install your maps otherwise you won't get the good detailed maps. All these can be found Here