Gravity SUCKS, Pumps PUSH..........

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaitsdad

I'm confused - Just ask my Wife.
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I'm starting this post as a discussion point for the merits of gravity vs. pump for aux fuel tanks. The information I'm posting is based upon my VERY LIMITED experience - so If something's going on that I don't understand, I'll tell you. I'm not going to list anything that is 'hearsay.' In other words, if I haven't experienced it, I won't put it down.

I look forward to the members of this forum with decades of experience posting up !!

It doesn't matter what bike it was installed on. My FJR, your 1969 R bike, his Goldwing. We're trying to examine Gravity vs. Pump.

My intent is NOT to have a "Mine is bigger than yours" or "Manufacturer ABC is better than Manufacturer XYZ." What I'm looking for here is input from this forum of personal experiences - prats and pitfalls, your personal history with tanks, which method of fuel transfer do you prefer, etc., etc., etc.

Opinions are very welcome, but please try to back them up with facts and/or experiences.

First - a few basics that apply to either style of fuel transfer. If you know of additional facts, please post them. These are here because these physical traits affect fuel transfer.

1. Fuel Expands under heat. In some cases, dramatically so. The design has to be able to deal with the expansion of the fuel. This is done by a vent opening on the aux tank that allows expanding fuel to escape.

2. Expanding fuel builds pressure if not allowed to escape. This is NOT a desirable trait.

3. As the fuel is transferred from the aux to the main, the volume of fuel moving from the aux tank must be replaced with a similar volume of air from the atmosphere. This is accomplished by the same vent hole. See #1.

4. And while obvious, I'll put it here - there must be ROOM in the main tank for the transferring fuel to go - and the air in the main tank must be able to vent out as it is displaced by incoming fuel.

OK - Let's do a basic examination of gravity feed:

(This is kind of a 'brain dump' for me - I'm just kind of thinking via my keyboard)

Gravity pulls DOWN. Liquid will always flow to the lowest point, as it is pulled there by gravity.

Logic - a gravity transfer tank will need to be mounted in such a manner that the fuel exit (and level) of the aux tank is HIGHER than the fuel entrance (and level) of the main tank. This way, when then valve is opened, the fuel will flow from HIGH to LOW.

Flow rate equates to time. Faster flow rate = less time, slower flow rate = more time.

Logic - the larger the inner diameter of the fuel lines, the faster the flow rate. The greater the differential in elevation (we're talking inches here, folks !) the faster the flow rate. (Very minor difference, unless you were to mount the tank on some sort of superstructure 6 feet above your head :blink: )

Gravity is always present. (Unless I missed the event, I've never noticed it leaving.)

Logic - does not require mechanical assistance.

Flow DIRECTION is dependent upon gravity -

Logic - Fuel flows from high to low. (redundant, I know. but very important. )

And Pump feed:

Simple - a fuel pump is installed to transfer the fuel REGARDLESS of tank elevation differentials.

A fuel pump could be used on a tank that might otherwise function as a gravity feed tank.

Logic - using a fuel pump allows the placement of the aux tank to be agnostic in elevation to the main tank. (does that make sense?)

Fuel pumps require electricity - or a gerbil on a wheel, whichever you choose.

Logic - this is a failure point.

Fuel pumps produce pressure -

Logic - fuel lines and fittings must be able to accommodate the increased pressure.

Fuel pumps vary in flow rates (usually listed by pressure)

Logic - it is possible to install a pump with TOO MUCH PRESSURE and make a huge mess of your garage when the fire department puts out the resulting conflagration.

Some fuel pumps can burn out when operated dry.

Logic - research what you buy. This is not a component to save $$ on.

And now to fuel transfer differences - and this is from my personal experience.

Gravity feed - I have limited experience. I installed a gravity feed tank last November, which was quite a learning curve for me.

114775863-L.jpg

This tank was on my bike long enough to run three fills through it. If you notice, it's much higher than a pillion mounted tank - and the transfer rate was relatively quick, due to the large differential between fuel levels. (The bottom of the aux was higher than the top of the main) It was possible to open the petcock, and have this tank empty through the main tank overflow valve if I wasn't watching the main tank level. This meant I really had to pay attention, and make very sure that the valve was closed when I filled it. So - I found myself riding along, trying to remember if I'd closed the darn thing! The petcock was not easily accessable when riding - I had to stop the bike, then twist backwards, and open the valve. I simply could not do it while underway. This could be dealt with by a different fuel line routing, perhaps an in-line valve for the transfer. The fuel movement inside the tank was very noticible - sitting up high like that, any wave motion was amplified. I overcame this by installing anti-slosh foam in the tank as per IBA regs. Should I elect to use it again, I will also have to engineer a proper static ground for it.

I have no personal experience with a "pillion mount" style of tank. Many of my fellow riders do, and I look forward to hearing of their experiences.

Pump feed -

I installed a "underhung" design, as I had discussed with Ron Sampson his need to adapt the long standing Ron Major design to the FJR1300. He used my bike as the mule for this - and I worked with him extensively to get the system 'tweaked.'

IMHO -in retrospect - I should have gone with a pump to begin with. I could still rig a pump on my gravity feed tank, and not have to deal with the valve position.

Using the pump feed I find to be substantially easier. I can simply turn on the pump via a LED (visual indication) rocker switch on my cowling, and inside of 25 minutes, 4.3 gallons of fuel transfers to the main tank. I think the ability to pump the fuel easily with a minimum of fuss is of benefit. This transfer time could be improved upon, as I used 1/4" line and fittings. This is due to the tight radii that I needed to obtain with the line routing. The 5/16" line simply would not make the turns without collapsing.

The installation of a fuel pump is more complex - wiring, fusing, additional fuel lines, etc., but it's certainly not above a reasonably competent wrench. If you've got the self confidence to do the main tank penetration, the rest of the installation should be easy. If you could install a gravity tank, you could install a pump.

The downside? COST. As there are more components, the cost to install a pump is greater than gravity feed.

I did the final install last May - and have now put just over 7K miles on it. It has functioned as designed without any problems. I continually check the nuts and bolts, I check for abrasion on the fuel lines, leaks on the Herbie clamps, etc. But so far - it's been bulletproof. Time will tell.

So - that's where I'm at - I have heard many additional comments and stories from forum members - but not having matching experiences, I can't relate those to you.

Pump vs. Gravity? Well ?

I put a pump on the tank I put together last winter. I do agree with TWN that Gravity never breaks. I do alway hear it is just something that could fail. This is true, but almost every motorcycle and car/truck build today has a electric fuel pump pushing the fuel around. To me it make me worry less about fuel transfer, a simple switch a $50. pump from the local auto parts store and a warning lamp. To me it does not get any better than that.. Get the main tank down to two bars, open the valve and hit the switch...The one I had would transfer 4.3 gal in 8 minutes or so...

After hanging around the IBR for the last few week has me wanting to do some rallys. I sold my tank, but I am sure I will be putting another one together... Smitty

I look forward to the members of this forum with decades of experience posting up !!

I recall RenoJohn had some issues with backfilling the aux tank when running uphill using a gravity feed system? I'll wait for RJ to come on line and post.

almost every motorcycle and car/truck build today has a electric fuel pump pushing the fuel around. To me it make me worry less about fuel transfer, a simple switch a $50. pump from the local auto parts store and a warning lamp. To me it does not get any better than that..

This is what I was thinking. I like Kaitdad's idea also along with skyways tank. I'll be reading this with interest. I like the idea of taking a pillion.

devanator

I've got a Tanji cell using gravity feed. The Tanji is lower than most gravity feed tanks and I have had some feed problems so I am in the middle of installing a pump. I put quick disconnect fitting on both sides of the pump so if it quits I can pull the pump out of the system.

I will add something that has not been mentioned here. Vacuum! I have a GL1800 Gold Wing with an aux fuel tank in the right saddle bag. It has a small electric pump on it that I can turn on via a switch. I connected this line to the vent line connection of the original Gold wing tank (not to the vent line, but to the vent of the tank) The aux tank has a vented cap, so the system is vented. Unless it is hot outside (say 80 plus degrees), as I use fuel from the main tank, a vacuum is created in the aux tank and it transfers the fuel from the aux tank to the main tank without any help from the pump. So it is vacuum from the main fuel pump on the bike that causes this transfer, as the aux tank is mounted much lower than the main tank. Gravity is not going to help here. If the temp is above 80, for some reason the fuel does not transfer, so I use the pump. But generally, I fill both tanks, start down the road and my fuel gauge stays at full for 200 plus miles, then it starts to drop as I use the fuel in the main tank. It works. I did not engineer this setup, I purchased it from a guy that has done many of them. The beauty of this is that you do NOT HAVE to run the pump, it draws the fuel from the aux tank and through the aux pump without the pump running. If for any reason the fuel does not transfer, when the main tank gets low enough, I use the pump. I plan to add an aux tank to the FJR and hope a simular set up will work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will add something that has not been mentioned here. Vacuum! I have a GL1800 Gold Wing with an aux fuel tank in the right saddle bag. It has a small electric pump on it that I can turn on via a switch. I connected this line to the vent line connection of the original Gold wing tank (not to the vent line, but to the vent of the tank) The aux tank has a vented cap, so the system is vented. Unless it is hot outside (say 80 plus degrees), as I use fuel from the main tank, a vacuum is created in the aux tank and it transfers to the fuel from the aux tank to the main tank without any help from the pump. So it is vacuum from the main fuel pump on the bike that causes this transfer, as the aux tank is mounted much lower than the main tank. Gravity is not going to help here. If the temp is above 80, for some reason the fuel does not transfer, so I use the pump. But generally, I fill both tanks, start down the road and my fuel gauge stays at full for 200 plus miles, then it starts to drop as I use the fuel in the main tank. It works. I did not engineer this setup, I purchased it from a guy that has done many of them. The beauty of this is that you do NOT HAVE to run the pump, it draws the fuel from the aux tank and through the aux pump without the pump running. If for any reason the fuel does not transfer, when the main tank gets low enough, I use the pump. I plan to add an aux tank to the FJR and hope a simular set up will work.

Rick, That is interesting !

So - let me see if I understand what is going on here -

Let's ignore the aux tank for a bit -

As fuel is consumed out of the main tank, the fuel is displaced by air being drawn into the tank through the vent tube.

And now let's add the aux tank -

The exit line from the aux tank is installed to the main tank in place of the vent tube - and as the main tank fuel is used, it's replaced by the fuel from the aux tank instead of air - until all of the fuel from the aux tank is pulled into the main tank, at which time air enters the main tank from the aux tank to replace the fuel there. Is this correct?

Heck, I'd just like to know why the need for an aux tank? Limited gas stations where you are, or where you're going?

The exit line from the aux tank is installed to the main tank in place of the vent tube - and as the main tank fuel is used, it's replaced by the fuel from the aux tank instead of air - until all of the fuel from the aux tank is pulled into the main tank, at which time air enters the main tank from the aux tank to replace the fuel there. Is this correct?

You got it :clapping: I know this works , and the best part is it does it right through the in line aux pump without it running.

Heck, I'd just like to know why the need for an aux tank? Limited gas stations where you are, or where you're going?

That is correct. I doubt if anyone with an aux fuel tank is going to go 400 plus miles without stopping and getting off the bike. But I have been in the western US where you do not kow where the next gas station will be and you realise that you only have enough gas to go 30 or 40 miles. It takes that worry away completely to know that you have gas on board to go another 200 miles if you need to to find a place to fill up.

You got it :clapping: I know this works , and the best part is it does it right through the in line aux pump without it running.
Is there some sort of one-way or 'check' valve in place that prevents fuel from the main tank backfilling into the aux tank?

Is there some sort of one-way or 'check' valve in place that prevents fuel from the main tank backfilling into the aux tank?

no. since the vent fitting is on top of the main tank, gravity keeps the fuel in that tank. I would guess that if the main tank was full and the bike was parked in the sun on a hot day, the gas would expand and normally go out the vent line, now it would go into the aux tank and whatever is in the aux tank (air or fuel) would get pushed out of its vent line.

no. since the vent fitting is on top of the main tank, gravity keeps the fuel in that tank. I would guess that if the main tank was full and the bike was parked in the sun on a hot day, the gas would expand and normally go out the vent line, not it would go into the aux tank and that ever is in the aux tank (air or fuel) would get pushed ut of its vent line.
Have you examined how to access the vent tube on the FJR? Where would you attach to?

If you can figure this out, it eliminates the need to install a tank penetration fitting. This would be huge !!

[Have you examined how to access the vent tube on the FJR? Where would you attach to? If you can figure this out, it eliminates the need to install a tank penetration fitting. This would be huge !!
I have not looked into the FJR yet. But even if you had a tank penetration fitting, this idea would work as long as you plugged the tank vent and the aux tank has a vent. It would be a little more work but you could go as far as to connect the aux tank vent to the main tank vent hose so if there was some factory filter on that vent , you would still be using it.

Sorry for the temporary hijack.....

I've got a Tanji cell using gravity feed. The Tanji is lower than most gravity feed tanks and I have had some feed problems so I am in the middle of installing a pump. I put quick disconnect fitting on both sides of the pump so if it quits I can pull the pump out of the system.
Doug, I am going to say that almost all feed problems associated with the Tanji cell are related to air bubbles in the fuel line from the cell to the main tank. Since the Tanji cell will completely empty around the time you are hitting reserve level on the main tank, air can be introduced into the fuel lines between main tank and fuel cell. It can be critical to remove this air. I now have a procedure when fueling that ensures there is no air in those lines and I no longer have any problems whatsoever with fuel transfer. I also installed a new fuel filter at the beginning of this riding season that is different than the one the fuel cell came with and it seems to have increased the rate of fuel transfer.

[Have you examined how to access the vent tube on the FJR? Where would you attach to? If you can figure this out, it eliminates the need to install a tank penetration fitting. This would be huge !!
I have not looked into the FJR yet. But even if you had a tank penetration fitting, this idea would work as long as you plugged the tank vent and the aux tank has a vent. It would be a little more work but you could go as far as to connect the aux tank vent to the main tank vent hose so if there was some factory filter on that vent , you would still be using it.
Ok, youse guys are totally confusing me. There is no way to patch into the FJR's venting system to try and use it to transfer fuel. The venting system is all done in he fuel cap, which supplies a very slight positive pressure to the interior of the tank. There is then a hose that directs any vented fuel or vapors to down at the bottom of the FJR, but it simply a method of routing the fuel/vapors and is open to the atmosphere.

There is no way around using a bulkhead fitting on the FJR for fuel delivery. And while theorhetically it is *possible* to combine the venting of the main tank and the fuel cell, you would have to drill the main tank a second time for access, and it would have to be at the very top of the tank, making it *practically* impossible.

I don't see how blocking the main tank venting and trying to route venting through the cell would provide any tangible benefit, and off the top of my head can think of several problems that could arise.

BTW, there is a 2nd line that goes down through the interior of the tank and exits at the bottom of the FJR and that is for removing/directing fuel overflow from the filler/fuel cap area.

There is no way around using a bulkhead fitting on the FJR for fuel delivery. And while theorhetically it is *possible* to combine the venting of the main tank and the fuel cell, you would have to drill the main tank a second time for access, and it would have to be at the very top of the tank, making it *practically* impossible.
I don't see how blocking the main tank venting and trying to route venting through the cell would provide any tangible benefit, and off the top of my head can think of several problems that could arise.

BTW, there is a 2nd line that goes down through the interior of the tank and exits at the bottom of the FJR and that is for removing/directing fuel overflow from the filler/fuel cap area.
Skoot,

I do not know how the FJR tank is vented. But in order to do what I am doing on my Goldwing, you can not hve a vent in the main tank as that will not allow the main tank to go into the slight vacuum needed to transfer the fuel from the aux tank. So maybe this can not be done on a FJR. I do wonder how the FJR vent works so as to keep a positive pressure in the tank? Seems like that would be hard to do as the fuel level goes down, it almost needs to allow air in to keep from going into a vacuum, and then how does it get a positive pressure again? But as I said, I have not looked at the FJR vent system, so I know nothing about it or how it works, My refering to blocking the main tank vent was in reference to trying to do what I am doing on my Goldwing, and if you allow the main tank to vent...... it is never going to go into a vacuum and pull fuel from an aux tank. I would agree that blocking the main vent is not a good idea, but as long as there is a vent in the fuel tank system, it should be okay. I have no problems on my Goldwing that is set up this way, and I can not think of any problems that could arise, now on the FJR..... I do not claim to know. I would like to know what problems you see with the setup. We're all just brainstorming here so its all good. :yahoo:

Latest posts