Great Ride in NE Washington until...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to hear that you are both home and on the mend! :clapping:

Recuperation can be tough and discouraging...just you know that there are MANY of us out here that care about you and think about you even though we may only have this tenuous connection through the internet.

Real people are on the other side of these keyboards and computers and are wishing you the best and pray for a great recovery. :yahoo:

Peeps,
First and foremost, thanks for all the prayer, support, warm wishes, flowers, donations to EMT, cards, and all the love in general. I finally read through the forum topic and caring bridge posts last night and was absolutely moved. Of course, I have been aware of the outpouring through our many friends but to take it all in at once was lot to take. Thank you.

I have lots of thoughts and commentaries about the ride, accident, changes to be considered, advice to be handed out, but I think I will spread them through a number of post and or topics. One big post would be overwhelming. Not sure if a fresh topic or adding on to this lengthy one is best - feel to opine.

We are home, minds are good, and bodies are healing. No doubt we have lots of things to overcome still, but the biggies are behind us. We will live, and with very normal lives. More to come because I'm now home with an active brain and I'm confined to a recliner. Thank God for a laptop.

David
We are soooooo glad that you were able to go home and not to a re-hab facility. :yahoo: +100 to what Wheatie said!!!!!

I would start a new topic for each of your ideas to discuss so that you can keep it focused on the issue and not get side tracked.

OMG, I just found this thread and it brought tears to my eyes. So sorry to hear about the suicidal forest rat meeting and the resultant injuries. But so happy to hear about the heroic efforts of fellow riders. And really glad to hear that you're back home and recovering! :yahoo:

I've been gone on a long ride with my wife, heading from Bonney Lake to Yakima, down through Oregon, across Idaho, up into Montana and back home through Washington. Saw lots of deer and one elk cow and always nailed the brakes when seeing them. Wife even asked about deer and what I'd do if one jumped out. My reply was to try and stop or swerve, but ultimately I'd plow straight through it with the bike upright and going straight. Good thing I didn't have to try any of those maneuvers because we were alone with no awesome FJR friends along. Scary to think about.....

I have some venison in the freezer and would be honored to cook some up and bring it over for dinner if you like the taste of venison (and perhaps revenge?).

Caring Bridge update:

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 12:15 PM, PDT

Big David here. I'll take over updates for a bit and then wind this thing down.

First and foremost, thank you all for the outpouring of prayer, cards, flowers, comments, phone calls, things sent, and good juju in general. While we hadn't read most of this until very recently, we were constantly being told of the love and prayers being provided by each and everyone of you. I can't begin to tell you how much it helped Knowing folks care and that armies were praying.

A very special thanks for John B, Little David, and Sue Y for spending nights with us and tending to our every need. We know we were being very babied but it sure felt nice having their comforting presence in the room. Additional thanks to John K for taking care of us for a day and helping us get home by taking the van with us and babying us even more. Vicky and Clint were at the hospital A LOT (thank you), delivered real meals, clothes, made calls, and so much more. Colleen's folks have stepped up huge and took care of our kids starting day 2 and are still here taking care of us at our home. They have been indispendsable in more ways that I can list. My Mom showed up Sunday and is now doing her part with the chores and healthcare. Having three grandparents running around is supremo. Not to be ignored is the two boys still at home that get plenty of wheel chair action, delivery chores, and occasional urinal duty. Yuck.

Special thanks to John B and his family. John came out to visit me twice, stayed with us through several nights, arranged equipment at home, delivered furniture, made the rooms ready, made showers ready, etc. Meals are ready to go. He is a goto -man that I can depend on completely.

And as important as anyone is the crew that tended to our most critical needs immediatly following the wreck. David Black, Bryan Bailey, Marissa Bailey, and Kevin Ross. Their on scene actions ensured that we are here today. They put on an impressive show of life saving action, phone calls, driecting traffic, triaging work load, splitting up to the different hospitals, and staying close throught the tough times. The gathered our things, helped with the bike, made phone calls, and so much more.

I won't even detail at this time the EMT, Sheriff's, recreational boaters, helicopter and amubulance crew, and the Sacred Heart staff.

Stay tuned, I will post a status report soon for Colleen and I. There are no words large enough to express our gratitude for all things done and that will be done. We have seen miracles, heroism, the closest friends and family anyone could wish. Too bad it takes such an event to make it all come home.

I thanked those that affected us so directly, but the prayers of the greater community is what kept us afloat over the past 2.5 weeks and what will keep us going through the trials to come. My family, friends, co-workers, neighbors, dive buddies, motorcycle community, etc have all been there for me. I love you all.

Little David - you're all man now. I told you how proud I was of you a few weeks ago but that doesn't hold a candle to how I feel today. Thanks for taking the time off, taking such good care of us, and for getting this blog started.

"Little David - you're all man now. I told you how proud I was of you a few weeks ago but that doesn't hold a candle to how I feel today. Thanks for taking the time off, taking such good care of us, and for getting this blog started. "

Very proud Dad, very good my friend, very good.

Caring Bridge update:
Wednesday, June 30, 2010 12:15 PM, PDT

Big David here. I'll take over updates for a bit and then wind this thing down.

First and foremost, thank you all for the outpouring of prayer, cards, flowers, comments, phone calls, things sent, and good juju in general. While we hadn't read most of this until very recently, we were constantly being told of the love and prayers being provided by each and everyone of you. I can't begin to tell you how much it helped Knowing folks care and that armies were praying.

A very special thanks for John B, Little David, and Sue Y for spending nights with us and tending to our every need. We know we were being very babied but it sure felt nice having their comforting presence in the room. Additional thanks to John K for taking care of us for a day and helping us get home by taking the van with us and babying us even more. Vicky and Clint were at the hospital A LOT (thank you), delivered real meals, clothes, made calls, and so much more. Colleen's folks have stepped up huge and took care of our kids starting day 2 and are still here taking care of us at our home. They have been indispendsable in more ways that I can list. My Mom showed up Sunday and is now doing her part with the chores and healthcare. Having three grandparents running around is supremo. Not to be ignored is the two boys still at home that get plenty of wheel chair action, delivery chores, and occasional urinal duty. Yuck.

Special thanks to John B and his family. John came out to visit me twice, stayed with us through several nights, arranged equipment at home, delivered furniture, made the rooms ready, made showers ready, etc. Meals are ready to go. He is a goto -man that I can depend on completely.

And as important as anyone is the crew that tended to our most critical needs immediatly following the wreck. David Black, Bryan Bailey, Marissa Bailey, and Kevin Ross. Their on scene actions ensured that we are here today. They put on an impressive show of life saving action, phone calls, driecting traffic, triaging work load, splitting up to the different hospitals, and staying close throught the tough times. The gathered our things, helped with the bike, made phone calls, and so much more.

I won't even detail at this time the EMT, Sheriff's, recreational boaters, helicopter and amubulance crew, and the Sacred Heart staff.

Stay tuned, I will post a status report soon for Colleen and I. There are no words large enough to express our gratitude for all things done and that will be done. We have seen miracles, heroism, the closest friends and family anyone could wish. Too bad it takes such an event to make it all come home.

I thanked those that affected us so directly, but the prayers of the greater community is what kept us afloat over the past 2.5 weeks and what will keep us going through the trials to come. My family, friends, co-workers, neighbors, dive buddies, motorcycle community, etc have all been there for me. I love you all.

Little David - you're all man now. I told you how proud I was of you a few weeks ago but that doesn't hold a candle to how I feel today. Thanks for taking the time off, taking such good care of us, and for getting this blog started.

:yahoo: Hi All involved for this reacking.

My Wife is going to allow me to rebuild my Bike so YOU GUY'S ARE FANTASTIC!!

Caring Bridge update:

Thursday, July 15, 2010 4:54 PM, PDT

After a couple of weeks at home we finally got to the time to visit the doctor again. It was the 1 month anniversary of our accident and we went to the doc with high hopes of freedom dancing through our heads. A couple of ways we can look at the outcome of the meeting:

1) A complete bummer. David has to wait two more weeks before he can start putting any weight on his pelvis and then it is physical therapy and baby steps from there. Bones are all knitting, but there is plenty more to go. Still haven't found a back doctor to do the follow up on the new hardware installed. Colleen was told 6 more weeks before any weight bearing activity, 6 months until her left leg can take full weight, and up to two years for a full and complete recovery. Very depressing.​ Next appointment in six weeks will be time to set getting the cable removed from supporting her right knee. Also heard that parts of her knee cap were so "pulverised" that it was removed completely - about 25% worth.

or

2) Progress was made. I was found to be knitting well and can start working on walking in just two short weeks. I have been cheating some already and feel like I have a head start on the program. By our next appointment in six weeks I should be at least 8o% weight bearing and moving around pretty well. Just need a back doctor to get that evaluated, but the pain in that area is greatly diminshed. Colleen was able to get the brace from her left leg removed forever which is a nice win. She was also told she can put her right leg down on the ground with all the weight she wants as long as she has that brace on - no bending. She stood up for the first time today and will start learning to pivot so she can sit in cars and chairs - a big step forward. Right shoulder is coming along and range of motion is greatly improved. She can take her own showers now - makes her happy.

So, we are choosing to go with option 2 and and be pleased with the progress that is continually happening. We have really cool pictures now of all the hardware installed in our various parts but not sure how to share them and not creep anyone out. We happen to think it is cool stuff since it is part of what is helping us progress so quickly.

I went and visited the office today and it was good to get out and see everyone. Weather is gorgeous and we are trying to not whine about missing the big motorcycle trip to the Redwoods that was scheduled for next week.

Dave, ya just make me smile.

Update from CaringBridge for those that don't follow there: (Keep up the good work Dave and Colleen :clapping: . Seems like baby steps, but considering all you have been through it is great progress.)

After a couple of weeks at home we finally got to the time to visit the doctor again. It was the 1 month anniversary of our accident and we went to the doc with high hopes of freedom dancing through our heads. A couple of ways we can look at the outcome of the meeting:

1) A complete bummer. David has to wait two more weeks before he can start putting any weight on his pelvis and then it is physical therapy and baby steps from there. Bones are all knitting, but there is plenty more to go. Still haven't found a back doctor to do the follow up on the new hardware installed. Colleen was told 6 more weeks before any weight bearing activity, 6 months until her left leg can take full weight, and up to two years for a full and complete recovery. Very depressing. Next appointment in six weeks will be time to set getting the cable removed from supporting her right knee. Also heard that parts of her knee cap were so "pulverised" that it was removed completely - about 25% worth.

or

2) Progress was made. I was found to be knitting well and can start working on walking in just two short weeks. I have been cheating some already and feel like I have a head start on the program. By our next appointment in six weeks I should be at least 8o% weight bearing and moving around pretty well. Just need a back doctor to get that evaluated, but the pain in that area is greatly diminshed. Colleen was able to get the brace from her left leg removed forever which is a nice win. She was also told she can put her right leg down on the ground with all the weight she wants as long as she has that brace on - no bending. She stood up for the first time today and will start learning to pivot so she can sit in cars and chairs - a big step forward. Right shoulder is coming along and range of motion is greatly improved. She can take her own showers now - makes her happy.

So, we are choosing to go with option 2 and and be pleased with the progress that is continually happening. We have really cool pictures now of all the hardware installed in our various parts but not sure how to share them and not creep anyone out. We happen to think it is cool stuff since it is part of what is helping us progress so quickly.

I went and visited the office today and it was good to get out and see everyone. Weather is gorgeous and we are trying to not whine about missing the big motorcycle trip to the Redwoods that was scheduled for next week.

Caring Bridge update:

Anyone who can keep looking for what's behind door #2 is going to come out OK. Kudos to you for taking the positive attitude.

Tough to watch, and a honor to know these two.

I also happen to know that David has already been out looking for his next ride, can't wait for our next ride together!

Well friends, we were pretty bummed to find Colleen has such a long road ahead of her but she continues to be an inspiration to me with her good attitude and quick smile. She told me last week she wanted a more flashy helmet vs. the "plain black" she had last time - so we have one on the way. Maybe we can put our helmets on and have wheel chair races.

So, two helmets on the way. We have also purchased from Smitty some Bill Mayer seats, a Yamaha trunk, and a heli bar triple clamp - so we really do need a bike soon. Even sent the trunk lid to Garauld to paint match - just not sure which color we need to match yet.

So - all eyes open on either an 07 or an 08 AE. Leaning towards an 08 right now.

David

We'll be happy to help you spend money BReamer! I'm partial to the 08AE color...so that's the one I'm looking for. ;) :D

See you two soon.

--G

From Caring Bridge:

Thursday, August 5, 2010 8:18 PM, PDT

Alright, this is it. Last entry. Nothing else to see here, time to move on.

You all know how to contact us, we will leave it at that for now on. Colleen and I cannot begin to tell all of you how much your prayer and support has meant over these past seven plus weeks. Based on our recovery these past few weeks, there is no doubt that all the care helped us immensely - we have been truly taken back by the outpouring.

The latest: It is purely a waiting game at this point. We will both achieve something very close if not a complete recovery and will carry a few extra artifacts and scars to remind us of the experience. It is hard to wait, but many of you already know that and have been a big source of encouragment. (Stu - you especially seem to have a knack of knowing how we could be feeling and reacting any given week and we have appreciated your insights).

As I said, bottom line is time. Wait for the bones to knit, exercise the ignored muscles from the past couple of months, start doing what we can as we can. Pretty simple.

Successes: Driving the car, going into the office, sitting in whatever chairs we want, don't need help with the bathroom (a biggie), making plans for the future, going places, real beds, real showers, and much more. Mobility is increasing, we are realizing many more freedoms, and we're back to all the mundane stuff like paying bills, worrying about the yard, school starting soon, and all that everyday jazz.

Controversial news of the day: Our replacement motorcycle should be arriving tomorrow, we are excited.

Bad news: Can't ride it yet, but really hoping to do so by 2nd week of September. Got a trip planned, you know?

A very special thanks to our folks, Bob and Gretchen Johnson. They put their lives on hold and have been at Killough Casa for seven weeks helping out with absolutely everything. And I mean everything. Honestly, not sure we could have done without that help.

A lot of other folks have helped in many other ways, read through the journal to be amazed. Thanks everyone, we will never forget!!

David and Colleen - out.

Excellent update! It's great to see and hear the progress that both have made so far. Every day, our thoughts, prayers and support are with David & Colleen!

--G

Great to hear of the progress. Time now to heal and regain lost strength. Time will put you farther from the accident and thoughts of that will diminish. The new motorcycle preperation should be a great project to focus on. Take care,

Tom