Greenville SC to Pensacola and back, May 2nd

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]There's not a lot of effort put into photodocumenting my rides, but a few shots were taken on this one.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Bad news-soggy start. Good news-no Harleys on the road.[/SIZE]

PENSACOLA002.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]Fun stuff ahead.[/SIZE]

PENSACOLA003.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]Hwy 80 snack break. Much damage from this past winter's ice storms is evident. I wish I had a nice wide angle shot to show more of the damage and a couple pics of the bicyclists FLYING down the mountain in the rain-NUTS. [/SIZE]

PENSACOLA004.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]Pensacola NC[/SIZE]

PENSACOLA010.jpg

PENSACOLA009.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]State Highway 197. Yeah, some of it's just gravel.[/SIZE]

PENSACOLA018.jpg

Met these two fellows on Hwy 197. One Fla and one Tenn tag. They agreed that it looked paved on the map

PENSACOLA012.jpg

I assume that since it's a state highway the bridges must be rated for tractor trailer traffic. If pics of big rigs on The Dragon are scary, imagine one here.

PENSACOLA019.jpg

PENSACOLA020.jpg

An amusing little 1/2 day spent exploring. The bicycle race Assault on Mt Mitchell occurs at the end of May so bicycle traffic in the Hwy80 area should heavy the rest of the month. The section of Hwy 197 that is unpaved is no big deal, but a gravel road labeled as state highway makes it tempting to start slinging inbred hillbilly jokes. Funny thing is, most of the homesteads in the area are mini-Southforks. Damn retirees from up north (I can bemoan the Yankee invasion because I've lived here since 1979 when my Michigan native father retired from the military and moved his family to SC) and work-from-home-on-the-internet high rollers. In some places the crazy residents refuse to grant the state the necessary rights-of-way to bring civilization (blacktop) to their doorstep in the name of preserving their privacy. Don't they realize they could be passing up a chance to be next Deals Gap. :sarcasm:

Eight days til Wheaton weekend-Yea!

Gotta go now. There is a real estate agent on the phone. I've got an Aunt in Michigan that's retiring this year and is looking for a little place in the Blue Ridge Mountains.