Hand guards

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenporider

Reaction score
I've been debating on getting a set of hand guards now that the temps have been dropping at night. I was at a local dealer today and picked up the Powermadd ones. I was even able to get them in silver with black trim to match my '03. :yahoo:

Installation wasn't too bad, just need to dremmel off the little spacer tabs on the brake and clutch reseviors to get enough clearance.

They seen to work pretty well, need to wait til it gets a little colder to see what kind of difference they make.

I'll post up some pics when I get a chance.

Vstrom handguards fit FJR's with very little effort.

I love mine, hands stay warm and dry.

I had a half brick hit my right hand once on the I-95, didn't crash but thought I had busted the last three fingers, the hand swelled up so bad that I had to buy XXXL gloves to finish the trip.

They are not just for dirt bikes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vstrom handguards fit FJR's with very little effort. They may well fit other models as well.I love mine, hands stay warm and dry.

I had a half brick hit my right hand once on the I-95, didn't crash but thought I had busted the last three fingers, the hand swelled up so bad that I had to buy XXXL gloves to finish the trip.

They are not just for dirt bikes.
The Vstrom guards are very popular with the forum members, thought I'd try something else and present a different option for those who are looking.

I put V Strom ones on mine.....got them from fjrgoodies.com, good price, and the were an easy install.

They are the BEST thing i've put on a bike!! I ended up putting them on the Versys also.

Good timing on this thread.

I put a set of VStrom hand guards on just last night. Shopped around, and got the entire kit, with hardware for $65. No dremeling needed on mine, I had them on and loctited (thanks EOM!) in about 20 minutes.

Just came back from an all day ride over the Deer Trail north of Elliot Lake. It was 4C (about 40F) when we left. This was the test.

Verdict = I'm such a dumbass! I should have put them on the very first day I got the bike!

Great day, great ride, great company and a roadside BBQ to top it all off. Pics to follow. Love those hand guards!

What model & style?
There's only one model with different color options. The mounting bracket is separate and can be purchased for either snowmobile or motorcycle/atv.

I almost forgot, if it gets too warm and you want to get some air to the hands the panels are removable.

Put the v-stroms on mine right away. Might have even been the first farkle, right there with the sliders.

As for them keeping my hands warm, eh... Will be getting the grip warmers soon as my bimmer has me spoiled with them. :ph34r:

Well Shit! I gotta get me some new glasses. Coulda' swore this was something about handjobs :dribble:

color me embareassed!

:jester:

I went with the V-strom guards as well, and honestly, I think they might be the best bang-for-the-buck mod I've done to the bike. I thought I'd want to take them off in warmer weather, but it's really not been an issue. With all the heat my 1st gen puts out, my hands are the least of my getting hot worries. Besides, they also do a fantastic job of keeping the rain off my gloves. They aren't just for cold weather fellers.

I am also thinking about handguards, and while many have used the Vstrom guards , that certainly doesn't (shouldn't) mean that they are the only option. I'll be watching this thread to see what other options are available...

Last edited by a moderator:
I just put the V Strom guards on. Supremely solid!

You may want to re-set the left side mount holes to make them fit the same on both sides. The left side has it's mounting holes set further out almost as though they were made for another bike.

rco45c.jpg

I have them on my '03 and I used the existing bolt holes with no problems. They even block those little Canadian moose. :rolleyes:

Canadian FJR

I called my local dealer to get a quote on the Vstrom guards and hardware as listed on War Childs website (https://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=30). The hand guards were only $18.00 each but the hardware cost $55.00 for a total of $91.00! Yikes :blink: Surely there is cheaper hardware we can use. I mean, this part 57431-06G00 Bolt, Lever was $14.00 each! Is this the price that everyone is paying or is my dealer bending me over?

I have them on my '03 and I used the existing bolt holes with no problems. They even block those little Canadian moose. :rolleyes:

Canadian FJR

I called my local dealer to get a quote on the Vstrom guards and hardware as listed on War Childs website (https://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=30). The hand guards were only $18.00 each but the hardware cost $55.00 for a total of $91.00! Yikes :blink: Surely there is cheaper hardware we can use. I mean, this part 57431-06G00 Bolt, Lever was $14.00 each! Is this the price that everyone is paying or is my dealer bending me over?
Check out fjrgoodies.com for them.