Hard downshifts pt. 2

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally picked up the bike this a.m.

WOW! as smooth as any of the many Honda's I've owned.

No more lurching/clunking when going from neutral to 1st and silky smooooooooooth downshifts from every gear even when stone cold. No effort whatsoever, just a nice little click like butter!!!!

All they did was soak the plates and replace gasket.

Steve

Finally picked up the bike this a.m.WOW! as smooth as any of the many Honda's I've owned.

No more lurching/clunking when going from neutral to 1st and silky smooooooooooth downshifts from every gear even when stone cold. No effort whatsoever, just a nice little click like butter!!!!

Steve
what brand of oil did you end up with and did they do anything to clean clutch plates prior to soaking-thanks

Finally picked up the bike this a.m.WOW! as smooth as any of the many Honda's I've owned.

Steve
what brand of oil did you end up with and did they do anything to clean clutch plates prior to soaking-thanks
I put the Yama lube and OEM filter in and problem continued so I then took it to dealer for fix. The Yama lube/filter are still in but next change will likely be Rotella and Purolator filter.

Don't know about the plates sorry. The just told me Yamaha told them to try soaking plates first and it worked. I rode the bike 200 miles Sat. and about 150 miles today, smooth as silk every shift.

Steve

Excellent news, Steve! Did the Yama Rep or dealership quibble about covering it as warranty work?

Steve

I have the same problem with my clutch. But I have only 160 miles on it :( . Damn job and weather won't give me a break. But I am glad to hear others are having this problem (well not glad) and will address it at my 600 mile check.

I have the same problem with my clutch. But I have only 160 miles on it :( . Damn job and weather won't give me a break. But I am glad to hear others are having this problem (well not glad) and will address it at my 600 mile check.
Please report what you find.

Steve
I put the Yama lube and OEM filter in and problem continued so I then took it to dealer for fix. The Yama lube/filter are still in but next change will likely be Rotella and Purolator filter.

Don't know about the plates sorry. The just told me Yamaha told them to try soaking plates first and it worked. I rode the bike 200 miles Sat. and about 150 miles today, smooth as silk every shift.

Steve
Thanks-I asked because I wondered if the Rotella had any bearing I had the same problems as you including upshift problems they seemed to occur (or were more noticeable) immediately when I switched to Rotella. I switched back to motorcycle specific 10/40 (also changed filter) and rode a short while today. I noticed easier shifting both up and down. I could stop in 5th and shift to low without rocking bike or clutching between gears-before I could not. It still clunks into 1st but seems nearly normal in the other gears.I used the new formula Rotella made for the 07 EGR diesel emissions and was wondering if they changed something either in the oil or clutch material on 06/07 bikes

Steve
okay, now my ears have perked and my interest piqued, as my fjr _always_ clunks from neutral to first, and is really, really hard to break loose with the clutch pulled in, in first gear, in the morning (before it's been started), AND often does not release until a couple seconds have gone by when i pull the clutch in when downshifting/coasting coming to a stop. i've read on the fj list when replacing the clutch plates to ALWAYS soak them first.

so, how does one remove the clutch cover on the fjr, and once that is off, how difficult of a job are we talking? i fear taking my fjr to the dealership and explaining the problem, and then telling them what to do, isn't going to amount to much...

Last edited by a moderator:
All they did was soak the plates

I don't get it.... isn't the FJR a wet clutch? doesn't that mean the plates are always soaking?
what i've always read was that it makes a world of difference to soak the plates before putting them in. so i guess to answer your question, no, technically, at least not before they go on the bike.

Excellent news, Steve! Did the Yama Rep or dealership quibble about covering it as warranty work?

Steve

I had no problems at all getting them to agree there was a problem or to fix it.

Steve

Only 50 miles on 07' and was having a difficult time getting into first after coming to a stop. Just so happened was on my way to the dealer. The first mechanic tried and also had a hard time getting it into 1st and 2nd, but when they took it for a test ride they said everything was normal just had to allow the clutch to engage the gear. Now after reading this, I think I might be having the same problem.

Will ride a little more and see if it improves. Would hate to wait for 600 mile service, since it is giving me problems now.

CALSI

Latest posts