Hardwiring a GPS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an 09 AE so its got factory grip warmers.

Here's that suspicious looking connector. It's 4 connector but only 2 wires...
I would not pick up the power in this location. I am not positive but I believe the input at the controller is only live once the bike has reached a certain speed. There is a relay before the controller that receives it's signal to energize from the ECU and speed is a parameter for the heated grips to function. If you are not using the outlet in the accessory box I would use that to power the Zumo since the 1 amp fuse is acceptable for powering the GPS.
Do you or anyone know the color of the positive wire on the accessory box? Thanks.

Do you or anyone know the color of the positive wire on the accessory box? Thanks.
Tan = power; Black = ground. The Tan wire is common with the windshield drive, front brake light switch, heated grips, rear brake light relay, the horns and is backed up by the 15A Signaling System fuse.

I have an 09 AE so its got factory grip warmers.

Here's that suspicious looking connector. It's 4 connector but only 2 wires...
I would not pick up the power in this location. I am not positive but I believe the input at the controller is only live once the bike has reached a certain speed. There is a relay before the controller that receives it's signal to energize from the ECU and speed is a parameter for the heated grips to function. If you are not using the outlet in the accessory box I would use that to power the Zumo since the 1 amp fuse is acceptable for powering the GPS.
If that's the black connector with one black wire and one blue/yellow wire, it's the YCC-S test coupler, no power available from it.

Also, the accessory box outlet is fused at 3 amps not 1.

I have my GPS wired so that it can be turned on independent of the key being on, but it is not hardwired to the battery. I have an unswitched power strip installed that goes to the battery through a fuse. I sometimes do some extensive searching or navigation when the engine is off because I don't want to have the key on the whole time so the unswitched power works for me.

A couple of times I have come into the garage the following after noon and found my GPS still on :whistle: While this has pissed off my battery, my bike still started ok. Disclaimer: My GPS is a down grade Streetpilot 2730.
Call me lazy I just attached a pigtail from gps to battery same as a tender