Harley + Ducati ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been looking at the Harley Low Rider S and Yamaha's Raider. The Low Rider S has more tech such as cruise control, security and abs, also a 6th gear.

However if Yamaha updates their Raider next year with their new 113 engine all this would change.

Harley makes some nice bikes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be proud to own either make, and almost bought a Buell way back when; if Yamaha hadn't released the FJR to the U.S. (which WAS in doubt), I'd had a Buell. JMO

I'm sure someone on the forum knows, but I wonder what Ducati uses for main bearings? Do both HD and Duc split their cases vertically?

The smart money companies, BMW, Honda, and others, have already walked away from putting together an offer.

I thought it was interesting that VW is shedding assets to raise cash for their $2.8B Cheater Diesel fines.

Wishful thinking makes Ducati worth 1.5B. By normal sound business valuations, they'd bring less than half that much.

It would make more sense to me if HD were to acquire Moto Guzzi. They're the Italian bike builder most often thought of as the HD of Italy.

I used to work for a Guy who is really good at running a Motorcycle Dealership. He always worked in Stores selling Japanese products and K.T.M. He got an amazing offer to manage a Harley Dealership and took it. He said to me that he always thought Honda was the king of the motorcycle sales world until he was trained to run an H.D. store!. He said H.D. marketing and sales were over the top in getting retail prices for bikes and accessories with the average rider spending $5,000.00 extra on gear. Boutique Stores that lured in lucrative buyers. Gone were the Saturday morning price wars selling Quads & dirt bikes for $ 250.00 over cost. .At that time there were no left over end of the year Harley's. They may have run their course of being over priced but I think H.D. stores still get pretty close to retail for their bikes. I think most of us Yamaha / Honda riders are so used to getting a great deal on a bike we just scoff at retail costs overall. I think the markets we buy in have cut their own profit margins buy getting in sales wars to begin with. Look at the Goldwing. The finest Interstate motorcycle in the world and no one pays retail price for one. The ball was dropped somewhere!!

Most of us here agree that Harleys get sold for top dollar. Most of us here agree that Harley riders are big on farkles, chrome options, and handlebar whips. Most of us here agree that Harley riders buy a LOT of Harley apparel.

Your buddy was right: Yamaha and Honda customers are very different from Harley customers. (Full disclosure: I own and proudly wear a Yamaha armored jacket that was purchased at half retail when I bought my Vstar.)

Smiling on the first day of FJR ownership:

smiling_zps9b08bd0a.jpg

Most of us here agree that Harleys get sold for top dollar. Most of us here agree that Harley riders are big on farkles, chrome options, and handlebar whips. Most of us here agree that Harley riders buy a LOT of Harley apparel.
Your buddy was right: Yamaha and Honda customers are very different from Harley customers. (Full disclosure: I own and proudly wear a Yamaha armored jacket that was purchased at half retail when I bought my Vstar.)

Smiling on the first day of FJR ownership:

[img=[URL="https://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag417/unclehud/smiling_zps9b08bd0a.jpg%5D"]https://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag417/unclehud/smiling_zps9b08bd0a.jpg][/URL]
Well, it's good to know we're not so different. Some FJR riders are just as ugly as Harley riders.