Has anyone upgraded their side cases?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrFaulken

Reaction score
I apologize if this has been covered before, but I searched this forum and the forum at large for "Givi e360," "givi side case," and finally just "givi" in an attempt to find my own answer.

Unfortunately I came up short, so here goes:

I run Givi E360s on my Yamaha FZ6:

IMG_0221.JPG

I have a top rack on order for FJR, but would like to upgrade the storage capacity of my side cases. Ideally, I would like to reuse the E360s, and here's the big problem:

Givi makes a side rack for the FJR, but it only uses their newest PLX bags ... which does not include the E360.

Has anyone put traditional Monolock Givi side cases on their Gen II FJR?

Pretty cool bags! I have not seen any other FeeJ's like that. There must be someone out there that's tried this.... If not you be the first.

I think the FeeJ's bags are pretty roomy considering their shape, etc. My older mid 90's Beemer had slightly bigger bags, more of a cube shaped bag, not very areodynamic, but lots-O-room. The bags on the newer Beemers are even smaller then most and a funky shape. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I have considered packing less crap (I already practice the "pack your bags, then take out 20% of your crap" trick) to fit the smaller bags. I have also owned a BMW R1150R and a BMW K1200LTE -- and I could fit a midget little personses in the K bike's side case! (edit: LOL)

When I'm by myself the stock storage would be fine, however when I travel with my gal we need more room. Not because she packs a ton of stuff either, but it would be nice to have a LITTLE more room.

I typically use the topcase to store helmets, gloves, and sunglasses while off the bike, so getting a large top case isn't really a solution for the smaller side bags.

A very wise website once said "you can't take everything you want...but you can take everything you need" (COG)

I've been toying with the idea of buying some large soft luggage specifically for trips. Leave the hardbags on for day to day tasks (locking up my helmet, grocery shopping, etc.) but have some big soft cases to replace the sidebags with when it comes time for a trip. The jury's still debating on that one though.....

Also have been thinking of ways to make ANOTHER set of luggage, or somehow use soft luggage and just sorta "place" it on top of the sidebags. Like use the soft luggage upside down so the top of it rests on top of the side cases, and the straps go under the seat to keep it from falling off. I figured that'd also be able to be used as armrests for my girflriend when she rides with me on a trip. The only thing I'm having trouble with is gravity having them flop over because they don't have supports to keep them vertically aligned with the hardbags. Stupid gravity. Sigh.

Alexi

I designed a system for my klr using pelican 1550 cases. Different approach than caribou there were no modifications to ruin waterproof or lay flat ability of the case. Not terribly aerodynamic for our bikes though, worked great on the klr. I guess if the boxy but good concept gets you its fairly easy to mount them to your bike

for mounting points for soft luggage perhaps U shaped threaded clamps mounted to and sealed to the original cases would do the trick like the old exhaust clamps only smaller in stainless to provide fixed movement bungee points at the top outside edge of the case.

If you need more than that then you are bringing to much.
I know the object is to pack as lightly as possible, but my Frogg Togg rain gear takes up about 1/3 of one side case when fully compressed. Add a passenger's rain gear and now we've almost completely used up one case.

The issue isn't so much when I travel alone, but when I travel with someone else.

The PLV Givi cases sure look sweet, but it's another $900 or so to put into the bike I would rather have avoided if there was a way to reuse my E360s.

If you need more than that then you are bringing to much.
I know the object is to pack as lightly as possible, but my Frogg Togg rain gear takes up about 1/3 of one side case when fully compressed. Add a passenger's rain gear and now we've almost completely used up one case.

The issue isn't so much when I travel alone, but when I travel with someone else.

The PLV Givi cases sure look sweet, but it's another $900 or so to put into the bike I would rather have avoided if there was a way to reuse my E360s.
Your e360's will mount right onto that WingRack. The problem is, once you install that there's no going back, at least not easily. The rack will cover the mounting points for the stock bags preventing you from using them.

-MD

Your e360's will mount right onto that WingRack. The problem is, once you install that there's no going back, at least not easily. The rack will cover the mounting points for the stock bags preventing you from using them.
-MD
I know they won't fit :( They aren't PLX cases (Givi only makes one). I just wanted to see if anyone else has upgraded their bags.

I'm a little surprised at the responses, maybe I will have to dig the tank bag out of storage. I hate that thing :\

In the looks department, do you actually think those givi bags are an upgrade? Do they offer THAT much more room? How many liters are the Yamaha bags?

In the looks department, do you actually think those givi bags are an upgrade? Do they offer THAT much more room? How many liters are the Yamaha bags?
It aint about looks, it's about function :)

The Yamaha bags are woefully too small, mostly because of their stupid shape. I don't know for sure but I'd suspect they are in the 25 Litre department, but since they are goofy shaped it's often harder to get that much stuff in them.

The Givi e41' in black with color matched top's don't look that bad, and they are cavernous. Add to that, keyless top entry and you'll wonder why that isn't standard on every bag.

Still, I agree, not as pretty, which is why I don't have them on mine :)

-MD
I know they won't fit :( They aren't PLX cases (Givi only makes one). I just wanted to see if anyone else has upgraded their bags.

I'm a little surprised at the responses, maybe I will have to dig the tank bag out of storage. I hate that thing :\
Hrms... I had the e41's on a WingRack on my ZX11

Zed_After.jpg

and I'm fairly certain the attachment is the same as the e360's both monokey based no?

I would give the folks at SportTour.com a shout. They are good with all things Givi, and where I purchased my WingRack and v46 (got the e41's 2nd hand).

-MD

Latest posts