Have you ever moved saddlebag locks to replacement bags?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slardy

Reaction score
I took care of both bags on a ride last weekend: minor slow speed incident with no injuries. I will be replacing both bags and wonder if anyone has moved the locks? Any tricks or tips?

Also, the bags, which cost ~ $450 each, appear to NOT include all the accessories: locks, reflectors, protectors and seals. So I have to purchase them separately. Can the seals be moved or are they glued in place?

Thanks for any comments.

Have you looked for used bags? They pop up sometimes. I have switched the locks from one bag to another. It's super easy and straightforward. Nothing to worry about. Don't forget the Locktite!

My replacement bad for my 2003, some years ago, came with everything except the lock, and had a reflector that wasn't on the bags when I bought the bike.

If you can operate a screwdriver you can move the lock. You're supposed to move the lock to the replacement or you'd need another key.

Are the bags beyond repair? Amazing what can be done for a lot less than $900. Unless you are making an insurance claim for the bags and other stuff.

Don't care how you describe it, if the incident destroyed your bags, it was serious. I'm very glad you weren't hurt.

Moving the locks is simple, you just need the right security torx screwdriver bit (size is T15 from memory).

(Click on image for larger view)

The screws should have been Loctited on your original ones, so may be stiff to undo.

When doing them up again, use Loctite, or the screws can come loose which may result in your bag falling off.

On a slight tangent:

Why on earth Yamaha thought they needed to use special security screws on the back side of a key locked latch is one of the mysteries of FJR life. When the bag is locked to the bike you could never get at these screws to unsecure them.

If you don't want to buy the set of security hex bits to get this off you can carefully use a pair of pliers or vice-grips to get the screws loose, then replace them with some normal headed screws (I think mine are Phillips) from any local hardware store.

Gentlemen, this forum is great! I thank you all for your quick responses. I even have an offer for a right side bag in almost new condition.

I love my FJR. 79,000 miles and it is running as good as the day I bought it.

Last edited by a moderator:
On a slight tangent:Why on earth Yamaha thought they needed to use special security screws on the back side of a key locked latch is one of the mysteries of FJR life. When the bag is locked to the bike you could never get at these screws to unsecure them.

If you don't want to buy the set of security hex bits to get this off you can carefully use a pair of pliers or vice-grips to get the screws loose, then replace them with some normal headed screws (I think mine are Phillips) from any local hardware store.
Don't listen to Fred. Everyone knows, security systems have to be replicated. Two or more, because one is too close to none. Except, if someone has access to the screws, the bag is already open anyway. Aw, Hell, I don't know...

However, seriously, the set of security Torx bits from Napa was like $5, and they work in standard Torx screws. Now, I have the security bits, so very few public restrooms are safe from my evil tool powers.

I replaced the security Torx screws with plain screws. Job was easy as long as you have the security Torx to remove the 2 screws per bag.

I believe the tool is a T10 torx security bit. I bought a full set of security bits at Harbor Freight for very cheap. I guess they are not really very secure if anyone can buy the tool.
unknw.gif

I believe the tool is a T10 torx security bit. I bought a full set of security bits at Harbor Freight for very cheap. I guess they are not really very secure if anyone can buy the tool. :unknw:
Right. Since I needed one to add LocTite, that means I have them. Replacing the screws with Phillips heads is easy, but why? It's not like I need to remove my locks when I'm out on a trip. The crap people want to stress out about is funny.

I think the set of heads was $5. Maybe, and I use the different sizes for all kinds of torx applications, especially on my KTM. Starbucks runs are more than what that kit cost.

I didn't need to buy any security bits to add the loctite. I used a pair of small vice grips that I already had to grab the sides of the button head screws and break them loose. Then, after throwing them as far as I could I installed some nice screws with normal heads with the loctite on them. I probably saved enough money on that to buy a gallon of gas. :lol:

Actually I just didn't feel like driving to Harbor Freight. When lazy coincides with frugal it's hard to argue. ;)

Latest posts