Headlight replacements - How often?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewj99

Reaction score
I think I've gone thru 3 sets of headlights already, And i only have 52k on the bike. Anyone else having to replace them this often? My wife's sportster hasn't been changed yet in 50k miles.

I change them with gloves on and keep from getting greasy.

Are you replacing your stock headlights with a stock type bulb or are you putting in a brighter bulb? Brighter bulbs have a noticeably shorter life.

What kind of bulbs are you using? I had some early versions of the Osram Nightbreaker bulbs that only lasted 9months on one side and about 1 year for the other. The upgraded version (PLUS) are going on 2 years. Shorter life is the price to pay for brighter bulbs, but worth it to me.

The OEM bulbs usually go for many years, although they tend to burn out really close to each other when they do go.

I probably got over 50,000 miles out of the OEM bulbs. I generally buy cheap replacements and probably get 30-40,000.

In addition to whether they are brighter "premium" bulbs, life is shortened if the bike is regularly travelling over rough roads. Vibration doesn't do them any good.

Age has little to do with it - far more a function of operating hours so I suppose if your riding is mostly around town vs high speed slab, you will get the same number of hours but a lot fewer miles.

My bike is over 6 years old. 68K miles. Replaced stocks about 2 years ago, both were still OK. Replacements still working too (Osrams I think).

I just replaced mine which were in there 2 yrs, about 22K miles. Pretty normal life expectancy for Osram NightVision bulbs. I always replace in pairs.

I've tried Sylvania Ultra something. Just bought the OSRAM's. They are much cheaper. I expect the other will go out on the next trip. I use the standard H4 bulb, 55watt.

supposedly the stock H4's will last about 500 hours, which sounds about right to me............put 3 sets in my Gen 1 with 64K on it..........

Why would you change a bulb that's still burning,including changing both when only one goes out? Carry a spare, wrapped and taped inside bubble wrap. They're not that tough to change. Practice some time when it's not on the side of the road, in the dark, and raining, if you want to.

Last edited by a moderator:
'09 with over 96k miles on it with the original bulbs.
Oh you! You fly corporate jets on demand (or not). When was the last time you rode at night to notice that a bulb or bulbs were missing? JK :) That has to be a record.
Hey, I may not ride at night as much as many others on here, but I always do my preflight inspection! :)

My 03 with over 100k still has all the original bulbs except for one tail light.
smile.png

Dear Mr. Original Poster:

"Headlight replacements - How often?"

When they burn out. Make sure you torque to the proper spec or you might get early burn-out. Loctite will keep them from vibrating loose.

My last bike bike, I had to change bulbs every month or two. Tail and head light. I tried every bulb you can think of. On my '76, im still running the same headlight it had when I got it years ago. Ive got almost 16 on my FJR. They tend to last a long time on these bikes, on average.

I think I've gone thru 3 sets of headlights already, And i only have 52k on the bike. Anyone else having to replace them this often? My wife's sportster hasn't been changed yet in 50k miles.I change them with gloves on and keep from getting greasy.