Heat Resistant Wire Loom

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockabill

Reaction score
A while back someone posted some electrical farkling info that included a heat resistant wiring loom to run through the engine area. This loom was flat with an adhesive edge, so that you could wrap it around the wires instead of having to fish them through an already formed tube. I have done several searches, but I have been unable to find the post with that information. I am running wires for my communication/music system, and the connectors make in next to impossible to fish the wires through the NAPA asphalt loom I am using for my power cables. If you know how to find this loom please let me know. :dntknw:

Thanks,

Bill

Give these folks a try -

Wiring Products - Wire Loom

Personally, I use the High Temperature loom. Rated to 300F. I have two runs in place - 1 for audio cables down the left side of the bike, 1 for power cables, down right side.

Split loom lets you dress in the resistor cables for audio with little difficulty.

Disclaimer: Nope, I don't get nuttin from these folks - I ain't affiliated wit dem.

A while back someone posted some electrical farkling info that included a heat resistant wiring loom to run through the engine area. This loom was flat with an adhesive edge, so that you could wrap it around the wires instead of having to fish them through an already formed tube. I have done several searches, but I have been unable to find the post with that information. I am running wires for my communication/music system, and the connectors make in next to impossible to fish the wires through the NAPA asphalt loom I am using for my power cables. If you know how to find this loom please let me know. :dntknw:
Thanks,

Bill
Go to Napa autoparts - they will have to order it -

The problem is that it comes in a box that has about 100' or so of it.

Go to Napa autoparts - they will have to order it -

The problem is that it comes in a box that has about 100' or so of it.

The Napa guys near me have the big box but sell the stuff by the foot. Did they make you buy the whole box?

Cheers,

Jim

The Napa guys near me have the big box but sell the stuff by the foot.
That's my experience when I discovered this heat-resistant "asphalt loom" from NAPA many years ago... they sold it to me by the foot, and it wasn't very expensive at all....

Thanks for the info, but the stuff I am looking for is flat with an adhesive "tab" on one side. You roll the wire in the loom like a cigar or rolling paper and seal it with the adhesive lined tab side. Any idea where to find that?

The Napa guys near me have the big box but sell the stuff by the foot.
That's my experience when I discovered this heat-resistant "asphalt loom" from NAPA many years ago... they sold it to me by the foot, and it wasn't very expensive at all....
I have been looking for the stuff too, butt according to NAPA's web site, it is no longer an item that they carry.

Visiting three of their stores local to me, none is to be found.

I wound up buying this:

https://cableorganizer.com/nylon/

I have been looking for the stuff too, butt according to NAPA's web site, it is no longer an item that they carry.Visiting three of their stores local to me, none is to be found.

I wound up buying this:

Can't be a West coast & East coast Napa catalog, can there?

I just bought some less than a week ago from Napa in San Diego.

NAPA, p/n 737101, 102, 103, 104 (different sizes) $0.69/foot

Local store would only sell it to my by the box but I drove across town (2 miles) and bought it by the foot from the store/warehouse.

Have your Napa look up the part # if you still want it.

This stuff is the shit!

I wish I would have found this stuff years ago.

Thanks Warchild

It appears the asphalt loom is old school...works fine, but I can't think why the high temp corrugated split plastic loom won't do the job, and easier. The asphalt stuff seems to be popular for car restorations.

But, if you want it, here's plenty. I found another site a couple of weeks ago that had 100 foot lengths for $14, can't find it again, though. I used the plastic.

https://search.stores.ebay.com/HOMEPRO-FAST...0248673QQsofpZ0

Ah, here's the $14 link: https://www.delcity.net/delcity/servlet/cat...=279&page=1

The plastic stuff is everywhere, auto parts, Home Depot, everywhere.

I have been looking for the stuff too, butt according to NAPA's web site, it is no longer an item that they carry.

Visiting three of their stores local to me, none is to be found.

I wound up buying this:

Can't be a West coast & East coast Napa catalog, can there?

I just bought some less than a week ago from Napa in San Diego.

NAPA, p/n 737101, 102, 103, 104 (different sizes) $0.69/foot

Local store would only sell it to my by the box but I drove across town (2 miles) and bought it by the foot from the store/warehouse.

Have your Napa look up the part # if you still want it.

This stuff is the shit!

I wish I would have found this stuff years ago.

Thanks Warchild
A search moments ago at www.napaonline.com did not turn any up.

No one has it here, You left coast guys musta bought it all up ;)

A search moments ago at www.napaonline.com did not turn any up.No one has it here, You left coast guys musta bought it all up ;)
Sorry about buying it all up :)

If anyone wants my local Napa warehouse number it is:

7440 Convoy Ct, San Diego, CA 92111 (858) 279-8473 (Maybe they ship)

Or I found a few links (some have prices)

Link 1 (Michigan, good for 350F)

Link 2 Suspiciously close to the Napa part # Hmmmmm

I guess when I hear the words Plastic & High Temp, I just naturally assume melting.

I'm sure it works, but the Napa stuff was available & looks to be my perfect solution.

A search moments ago at www.napaonline.com did not turn any up.

No one has it here, You left coast guys musta bought it all up ;)
Sorry about buying it all up :)

If anyone wants my local Napa warehouse number it is:

7440 Convoy Ct, San Diego, CA 92111 (858) 279-8473 (Maybe they ship)

Or I found a few links (some have prices)

Link 1 (Michigan, good for 350F)

Link 2 Suspiciously close to the Napa part # Hmmmmm

I guess when I hear the words Plastic & High Temp, I just naturally assume melting.

I'm sure it works, but the Napa stuff was available & looks to be my perfect solution.
I emailed the first link yesterday and the reply for the size I wanted, FL-1, was that they only sold by the 100' roll and would cost me $2.10 per ft. Ouch.

The second link appears to be sold by the 100' roll also. It would be a little less butt at 1.568 per ft it still more than I will pay.

The stuff I found here: https://cableorganizer.com/nylon/ while not asphalt, is rated to 302 deg F, cost me .90 per ft and I could order as little as I needed. I think it will do.

Thanks for looking for me.

It appears the asphalt loom is old school...works fine, but I can't think why the high temp corrugated split plastic loom won't do the job, and easier. The asphalt stuff seems to be popular for car restorations.

But, if you want it, here's plenty. I found another site a couple of weeks ago that had 100 foot lengths for $14, can't find it again, though. I used the plastic.

https://search.stores.ebay.com/HOMEPRO-FAST...0248673QQsofpZ0

Ah, here's the $14 link: https://www.delcity.net/delcity/servlet/cat...=279&page=1

The plastic stuff is everywhere, auto parts, Home Depot, everywhere.

-I used both the asphalt loom and the expandable nylon loom on my bike for different applications. The nylon loom is more flexible, looks nicer, and was available in different colors (bought it by the foot at a professional electronic supply house in Houston) but isn't as heavy duty as the asphalt stuff.

If you've never used the expandable nylon loom, remember to use heat shrink tubing to 'overlap' the cut-off ends to prevent it from opening up & fraying. I also learned to be extra careful with the heat gun while shrinking the tubing on it..a second too long on one area and the nylon loom will instantly melt. And yes, the Napa stores here sell the asphalt stuff by the foot, but not all of them carry it; they all can get it, however.