Helibar Reversal?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwdurham

Reaction score
The ‘07 FJR that I just purchased (my first motorcycle ever) has Helibars kit setup on it with the brake line extension, etc.

Wondering how much different the ride would be with it removed? I’m 6’4” with pretty long arms and the setup has me sitting fairly straight up.

Attachments

• IMG_5288.jpeg
    IMG_5288.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Easy to R&R the Heli riser and check. No need to monkey with the brake line extension. With long arms you just might be more comfortable in stock position. With stock, your hips will rock forward a bit and reduce pressure on your sit bones. I’m 5-10 ish and prefer the stock bar position for that reason.

~G

Easy to R&R the Heli riser and check. No need to monkey with the brake line extension. With long arms you just might be more comfortable in stock position. With stock, your hips will rock forward a bit and reduce pressure on your sit bones. I’m 5-10 ish and prefer the stock bar position for that reason.

~G
Thanks

~G

Good ol G is rarely wrong but he is off a bit on this one. I thought it would be easy to remove also, but a thread on FJROwners recently explained why that is not the case. When installing the Heli-bridge, a bottom plate beneath the triple clamp is removed. So, unless you have that bottom plate that was removed and that the handlebars bolt onto, you can't remove the Heli-bridge.

Are the handlebars rotated all the forward? The Heli-bridge has quite a bit of adjustment this way. Makes a *big* difference. I like the Heli-bridge, but only with the handlebars rotated all the way, or nearly, forward.

Good ol G is rarely wrong but he is off a bit on this one. I thought it would be easy to remove also, but a thread on FJROwners recently explained why that is not the case. When installing the Heli-bridge, a bottom plate beneath the triple clamp is removed. So, unless you have that bottom plate that was removed and that the handlebars bolt onto, you can't remove the Heli-bridge.

Are the handlebars rotated all the forward? The Heli-bridge has quite a bit of adjustment this way. Makes a *big* difference. I like the Heli-bridge, but only with the handlebars rotated all the way, or nearly, forward.
The plate that is removed to install the Helibars have studs welded to it that feed up thru the bars. Instead, you can use some large fender washers and nuts underneath in place of that plate on the underside and feed bolts thru the top. You may need shorter bolts too but that's about it really.

Last edited:
The ‘07 FJR that I just purchased (my first motorcycle ever) has Helibars kit setup on it with the brake line extension, etc.

Wondering how much different the ride would be with it removed? I’m 6’4” with pretty long arms and the setup has me sitting fairly straight up.
Thank you for posting about this topic. I bought a 2020 with Helibars in December of 23 and have ridden 8k miles with them. I never really thought about the impact of this option but I am going to act on your suggestion and try what if feels like without them. Now that I think about it, removing them should cause me to lean forward a bit more which could bring me closer to the road and reduce saddle soreness on long rides.

Thank you for posting about this topic. I bought a 2020 with Helibars in December of 23 and have ridden 8k miles with them. I never really thought about the impact of this option but I am going to act on your suggestion and try what if feels like without them. Now that I think about it, removing them should cause me to lean forward a bit more which could bring me closer to the road and reduce saddle soreness on long rides.

Or cause soreness on the wrists......