• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Hella FF50 Driving Lights & Bracket Kit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For sake of conversation, all the lights in the above photos are mounted 'horizontally'. Does anyone know if you can mount the FF50 'vertically'? Or does this screw up the beam/aim/projection?
I want to put a set of lights on the fork bolts near the fender, so if these still work tipped up on their side...
Whoa. All that is sooo wrong. Yes, the reflectors are set up for horizontal mounting, mount vertically and you'll have no width in the beam whatsoever, but a very nice view of rocks and a call from the FAA. Ever notice the lamps tailored to fork/fender mounting are round? Secondly, mount driving lights low and they become next to useless. Their benefit is in the increased view distance they offer-a low mount negates this. Rule of thumb-fogs low. drivers as high as practical.

For sake of conversation, all the lights in the above photos are mounted 'horizontally'. Does anyone know if you can mount the FF50 'vertically'? Or does this screw up the beam/aim/projection?
I want to put a set of lights on the fork bolts near the fender, so if these still work tipped up on their side...
Whoa. All that is sooo wrong. Yes, the reflectors are set up for horizontal mounting, mount vertically and you'll have no width in the beam whatsoever, but a very nice view of rocks and a call from the FAA. Ever notice the lamps tailored to fork/fender mounting are round? Secondly, mount driving lights low and they become next to useless. Their benefit is in the increased view distance they offer-a low mount negates this. Rule of thumb-fogs low. drivers as high as practical.
I don't know its probably a good idea if you ride in the redwoods.

I should have further elaborated. I want an extra set of lights not so much to "see" with, but for cagers to see ME. Ever notice how distinct an oncoming MC is when it has an extra set of lights mounted low? That's what I'm looking for primarily. If I can get the benefit of being able to see better myself, that's a bonus.

I should have further elaborated. I want an extra set of lights not so much to "see" with, but for cagers to see ME.
If that's all you want and you don't want to fork over the beans, go to Wally world and get the cheapest smallest set of fog lights you can find. Go to Home Depot and get a couple aluminum angle brackets. Bolt angle brackets to front fender, mount lights. They'll suck, but people will see them... at least until a piece of gravel pops up and takes them out for you. Of course, you'll only be out $20, so it's no great loss to replace them.

Seriously, the Hellas are worth the cost and effort to install correctly. In the bang-for-the-buck department, nothing comes close. But, they will do nothing other than get you some tickets from your local constabularies if you mount them sideways.

I'm still a new guy here and new to the FJR. Will this bracket work with the PIAA 1100x? I have a pair sitting around in the garage that really need to go on my new FJR.

Thanks SkooterG for clarifying that. As I mentioned in another thread, you should get the brackets from FJRGoodies if you plan to use HID lights. Also, if you want just the brackets, they are $35 delivered - send me a PM if you want a set. Thanks!

B)

OK, I want to buy a set of the mounts for PIAA's on my 07 FJR. I am sendin U a PM right now.

Thanks, Lucky

Just wanted to report in that I just mounted a set of FF50's using Garaulds most excellent mounting brackets. Beautiful fit and finish. Bolted right on easily. Garauld includes a couple accurately shaped rubber gaskets to sandwich between the brackets and fairing. Nice feature. Two thumb's up, Garauld!! Thanks.

FYI, I only have the brackets for Gen I & II bikes in satin black. My source for the lights dried up. PM me if you want a set of brackets. Also, these should only be used for Hella FF50s and similar halogen lights, not for the heavier HID lights. There are other brackets available that can better support the HIDs...

Garauld, do you have any brackets/kits left? Would like to purchase one. If so, how do I go about doing so? I have an 06 AE.

Heard nice things about your kit, would like to get one before riding season. Right now, it's COLD here in Minnesota!

Thanks,

Goldee

PM Garauld with your bike info and he'll respond. I ordered mine just over a week ago and they showed up in two days...now I *have* to buy lights :)

Rock solid work and they look amazing.

How about if you're trying to get the lights to follow the front wheel, as in illuminating the twisties in the dark, puting lights on the forks is imho the best place. Of course that doesn't mean that you can't have a set up high on the mirror posts also :) . Actually that is the setup i'm ultimately going to have.

How about if you're trying to get the lights to follow the front wheel, as in illuminating the twisties in the dark, puting lights on the forks is imho the best place. Of course that doesn't mean that you can't have a set up high on the mirror posts also :) . Actually that is the setup i'm ultimately going to have.
I think you'd still want the driving lights high. You're goal is still to see as far through the corner as possible, not the road directly in front of the wheel.

I'm also going with the high and low lights, by the way. I have fork mounted driving lights, now -- well, actually the caliper mounting driving lights from Moto-Lights. They're great lights. I got them more for people to see me, though, than for me to see things. I have a set of FF50's that I'll mount on Gary's brackets once the garage gets a little warmer. When your making your plans, remember that you won't be able to use them both at the same time unless you replace the stator.

It seems to me that mounting your lights on the forks is a less effective way to illuminate the road in front of you in a turn.

That is, unless it's a low speed maneuver.

Turning your forks into a turn at speed might be a bad idea.

I think garauld had the right idea with his Hella FF50 bracket

Another big thumbs up to Garauld, Got a set of his brackets, and installed a set of Hella FF50's. Added a terminal block at the same time so it took me longer then some, but the quality of Garauld's work is unbelievable, he truly goes the extra maile. Thanks Garauld for a great product!!

Also like to give a BIG Thanks to Garauld as well :D

from my first email to delivery 8 days and thats from the USA to the UK :eek:

Fantastic workmanship and they will be fitted this weekend :yahoo:

Many Thanks, great bit of kit :D

PM Sent

I have available a complete kit that includes a pair of new Hella FF50 driving lights, mounting brackets, relay, switch, wire, and neoprene protectors as shown mounted in the photo. These lights are very bright and will shine up the road ahead quite nicely. Check this link to see a comparison for how bright they are:Hella Comparison

All you need to supply is the labor. I can furnish the brackets powdercoated satin black or painted to match your bike. Reasonably priced at $100 delivered to your mailbox. Send me a PM if interested. B)

FF50a.jpg

FF50c.jpg

Got mine back in june, finally got off my ass to install 'em. Garaulds brackets were the only easy part, fit and finish are top notch, as always! Yes, the Hellas are blue!

DSC04249.jpg

DSC04262.jpg