Hellbender & The Dragon

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was that an official stoppage, or was he just checking everybody for endorsements and stuff?
Just a planned road block in the middle of a 15mph hair pin curve checking licenses. I said "yes sir" and "no sir" and we showed our ID's an away we rode.
I've come across several of those illegal, discriminatory road blocks (unless they were stopping ALL vehicles, not just those of the two-wheeled variety), and I'm always sure to contact the enforcement agency responsible to express my dissatisfaction. (I'm always cordial to the officer during the actual stoppage, of course)
These are, unfortunately, getting more common in NC. I haven't hit any in the mountains yet, but I've been stopped at two out in the coastal plain...literally out in the middle of nowhere. I couldn't tell if they pull over anything other than motorcycles because both times, I was the only thing on the road for miles (that I could see, lol). Both times there were 3-4 police cars and everyone was standing around, shootin the shit.

Was that an official stoppage, or was he just checking everybody for endorsements and stuff?
Just a planned road block in the middle of a 15mph hair pin curve checking licenses. I said "yes sir" and "no sir" and we showed our ID's an away we rode.
I've come across several of those illegal, discriminatory road blocks (unless they were stopping ALL vehicles, not just those of the two-wheeled variety), and I'm always sure to contact the enforcement agency responsible to express my dissatisfaction. (I'm always cordial to the officer during the actual stoppage, of course)
These are, unfortunately, getting more common in NC. I haven't hit any in the mountains yet, but I've been stopped at two out in the coastal plain...literally out in the middle of nowhere. I couldn't tell if they pull over anything other than motorcycles because both times, I was the only thing on the road for miles (that I could see, lol). Both times there were 3-4 police cars and everyone was standing around, shootin the shit.
I guess I don't understand the issue here? The police can stop and check licenses, check if you've been drinking, proof of insurance...etc. They do it for people in cars all the time. If your riding legally then whats to be afraid of? If they take some bikers off the road for suspended license or not having motorcycle endorsement or no proof of insurance I got no problem with that. Just because we all ride motorcycles doesn't mean we're all the same type of people. Idiots are idiots whether your on a bike or in a car.

I think this is much to do about nothing. It's not anything to get your panties in a wad about. Our officer was pleasant and it was a very quick and painless experience.

Everybody in America these days are in a hurry to feel like their being discriminated against...when 99% of the time it only exists in your mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice ride report. Excellent video quality.

I leave for Deal's Gap in 5 weeks. 3rd bike trip up there for me (1st on the FJR), I know the roads you were on, and I like them very much.

I have a friend from Stone Mountain that was up there last weekend. He rides a 1250s Bandit and he was riding with 4 FJR's. Any chance you saw them during the weekend?

Once again excellent video and music selection! I need to mount up my camera and start shooting as well. I bought it a bunch of years ago to mount on a Pinewood Derby car for our Cub Scout Pack's Pinewood Derby. The kids loved seeing the race from the "driver's" perspective.

I've got a RAM mount ball that I can attach to one of the front fender bolts, not sure if that's too close to the bike, I think the arm is only about 3" long or so.

Luckliy you were paying attention to the road and not texting when he stepped out into your lane. How much advanced warning did you have (how far in advance did you see him and start to slow down)?

Once back when I was in college (before cell phones, ipods and other such distractions) I almost ran over a police officer when he stepped out into the road about 60 - 70 feet in front of me while I was driving 45 mph (5 over the speed limit). He started breaking my balls about driving wrecklessly, but after 5 seconds or so gave up on it when he realized he screwed up and was lucky to be alive due to my quick reaction time in slamming on the brakes. There were also 100 or so people waiting to cross the road who witnessed the whole thing since he did it right outside the driveway to a local park where some sort of festival was going on.

Luckily no one was too close behind me or it might have gone horribly wrong.