Hello my brethren

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Earlofcrankcase

Reaction score
Just bought a low mile blue 2005. It's a true mileage 5300 mile, 1st generation, "I'll slide my ass if you want me too", version. The owner had it titled in their name since 2012. The title also reads right of survivorship with the same last name where it was bought from.
Yes it's been dropped but barely. It was one of those zero mile an hour, "she was too fat for her own good" things. Can't say the same for the bags, they look like they've been around a little, but nothing terrible. Just enough to take the edge off when the "did l do that" time comes. That may be a while though. The tailbox is going to get used this season. But the season I'm talking about is "pecan season". I have over 20 lbs worth that I want to take to a pecan cracking place. Not to lie about the wife but I'm thinking the tailbox full on nuts (30lbs) way out on it's tail is going to at least make an excuse for some full throttle takeoff multitasking? "But officer, I had to make sure it wouldn't flip with my supermodel on it". OK back to reality, there's no worry about flipping anything including my wallet for back tires. I don't plan on riding it like a jackass. Well, not a total one anyway. That's not where this machine shines. I've only had it a couple days but I can already see some "best bike ever" possibilities in this one. And I'm talking about over 20 bikes and 45 years of riding.
1st question. I'm looking for some touch up paint. What is the best match?

2nd pic before ceramic wax.
3rd pic after.
4th Wish I had a before pic of the windshield. It was some serious microns at a time, buffer magic. The larger windshield towards the back looked new compared to it but now you can't tell the difference.
5th the product my aviation mechanic brother used. He's been polishing antique airplane windows for years so l knew he could pull it off but l still couldn't believe it.

Attachments

• IMG_1396.jpg
    IMG_1396.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1398 (1).jpg
    IMG_1398 (1).jpg
    490.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1402.jpg
    IMG_1402.jpg
    513.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1400.jpg
    IMG_1400.jpg
    464.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1399.jpg
    IMG_1399.jpg
    643.6 KB · Views: 8
No on the shorty for now. I got a buffer burn under it so I put the larger one one till the touch up paint comes it. Ya Wooshka agreed. I couldn't get anywhere either? I guess I'm buying it on Crap Azon?

Welcome from the Big Apple and congrats on your new ride. Enjoy! (y)
One caution if I read it correctly you want to load your top case with 30lbs of nuts. Momma Yamaha cautions to keep the load to I believe 8 lbs so as not to risk damage to the subframe. There are ways to get around this of course depending on what type of mount you have. Just my 2cents. ;)

My guess had a liberal 10lb for the box. Mounting mods? Shoot any links my way.
Main thing with the nut ride is a highway mpg test. I'm sure Mom Aha has miles of bumpy road duty in their "or it will fall off" calculations. My beer drinking days are over so there's not going to be any full on limit testing on that one.
The 1st mod I want to make without it looking too cheesy is a vertical off the tailbox mount so I'm sure my helmet won't fall off while I'm in a store. I'm thinking a passenger backrest if it's narrow enough but I am pretty cheap.
Norcal Hold up on buying that stuff. It's not magic and I think the buffer head he used may have had a lot to do with it too? The main thing that got that done was years of buffing plastic aviation windows. Wanna feel better about the price of a new one? Price a Cessna windshield! That's just an excuse for a ride to NW Houston if ever get close.

Look at Givi SR346 rack. Might find a used one for cheap. Might need a mounting plate for whatever topcase you have...

You fixed more than that Whoosh. With clear it ended up $38.24. What the hell, everything costs triple these days. I just hope it still works if I ever need it again after this.

Why not spread the wealth, er, weight around? 10 pounds up top and ten each in side bags?

It does sound like a good excuse for an all bags on test drive? + When they crack those pecans they give them back in more than one bag. "Nuts, & scraps". That's what I'm going to do after the cold snap.