helmet/glasses

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a full coverage Arai RX7 Corsair helmet ... I generally wear a set of Bolle Parole sport glasses (they're used a lot for cycling) - they fit very comfortably inside the helmet, and have the added benefits of (1) having interchangeable lenses (clear, low light, bright light and polarized), (2) being shatterproof, and (3) having a (vision) prescription insert, so I can wear them instead of my glasses or with my contact lenses. The helmet is a good (snug) fit, and the Bolle's fit well at least in part because the arms are thin, flexible, and sturdy.

Hope this helps

Shoei Qwest works great. My old Shoei X-eleven used to leave me with sore ears because it smashed my ears against the round rod-type contour of my eyeglasses. The Qwest completely eliminated this for me. I wear eyeglasses at all times while riding (eyeglass user since 3rd grade)

Why buy a new helmet? It's just styrofoam... Take something like a screwdriver or other flat-ish piece of steel, lay it against the padding right where the bow on your glasses touch and push real hard. The foam will crush in just a tiny bit creating a 'relief' for the bow of your glasses. Problem solved.

I've done this on several different helmets. What have you got to lose?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure this topic has been done before but I can't find it.So far I have four new helmits that I can't wear my glasses with,thier must something out their that works,have three flip ups one full face ,none are comfortable after an hour of riding,not to mention getting my glasses on and off.Sorry if this is a well worn topic.
Nolan N90 no problem with prescription glasses or sunglasses. It's a modular, comes with internal flip down sun visor and pinlock shield.

I'm sure this topic has been done before but I can't find it.So far I have four new helmits that I can't wear my glasses with,thier must something out their that works,have three flip ups one full face ,none are comfortable after an hour of riding,not to mention getting my glasses on and off.Sorry if this is a well worn topic.
What hats do you have? Current helmet is a shoei multitec flip up, no problems with any of my glasses. Next bean bucket looks like a Shoei neotech, has a dedicated earpiece channel, nice hat.

Have a full face KBC ,BILT modular,scorpion EXO 900.the kbc is ok but like the modular with flip down shade.the bilt is just cheap and to tight,the scorpion is tight on the sides but loose front to back slides down on my glasses creates pain on the nose ,but just put some foam padding under the liner in the front and back, seems like that may work .It stopped the front to back movement.Just needs a road test.

i

My N100 and Nolan X1002 both work well. my KBC ff works but i have to make sure the ear pieces of the glasses are mostly straight and slide them on after the helmet is on (and line the ear pieces up with the space between the liner pieces).

About the only helmets I've found that work with glasses are Shoei's. Their helmets come with a channel where the temples of the glasses are usually situated. I'm on my third Shoei (RF-900, Multitec, and now RF-1100) and all have been glasses friendly. I always try on other makes when shopping, but I always find a Shoei best with my glasses--and for overall fit.

My solution has been to change the glasses. The flight shades the USAF issues ("AO Optical Original Pilot") come with straight bows and so can be put on through the opening of a full-face helmet. I find that the smaller, I think 52mm, frames never encounter the inside of either my Arai or HJC helmets.

Same with me Randolph Engineering Aviator 52 mm size and bayonet temples. This really works well with Arai and Shoei especially the Neotec.

Speaking of glasses, check these out. Excellent for all you old bastages that can't read your tank maps or GPSs. Seem to recall they were pretty comfortable with my old KBC FF lid. Soon after buying these I picked up a Scorpion EXO900 flip helmet with the built in sunshield so I don't usually wear them. These have reading glass inserts on the bottom area of the lenses.

My link

Hey. Using a Large Shark Evoline 2 and wear perscription no line Bifocals. No problem with the glasses.

Bell Star, Arai Signet GTR, Icon Something or other, I've never had an issue riding with glasses and a helmet. I don't like contacts and I can't afford Lasik so I don't have much choice. I ended up getting a tinted shield for my Bell and that is so much nicer than having to swap out to sunglasses.

Also I did take my helmet to the place I got my glasses and explained what issues I was having concerning pinching and tight spots and they adjusted the glasses to work better with the helmet. It's worth getting the glasses tweaked for your head and helmet.