Helmet Locks - Got an opinion?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put a pair of these on mine a few weeks ago and really like them.

826829ba67.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anybody know the name of that helmet lock that fits between the rider's seat and the pillion? That way the ignition key would work. It looks like a piece of bent shim stock that doesn't clear the seat and hooks thru the d rings. I'm surprised more people do not use this.
That was FJReady's farkle. It's here.

I thought it was a great solution, but I have a Nolan. No D-rings.
I also own Nolans and you don't need o-rings. The strap is doubled up so just split the strap and put it over the hook. I do this on my helmet guardian mounted on the license plate. I only use the guardian for short stops as the cases are usually loaded. otherwise it goes in the top or side cases if empty.

When my wife was my girlfriend, she bought me a very expensive new helmet that I wanted. We rode to the beach a few days later and locked the helmets to the bike. Came back and found somebody knifed the strap, leaving me just the D-rings, and it's not that hard to sew on a new set. A friend and I were out on another night and my riding buddy found that somebody dumped their soda in his bottom-up helmet.

The only way I've locked the helmets since is in a saddle/tail bag, or with a cable where I look through.

Bob

If the keyway offset in the Helmet Guardian matches the offset in your Yamaha key, then it can be easily re-keyed. If not, you will have to find a new keyway or total lock assy. I learned that not all FJR keys have the same keyway offsets. They have a several thousand combinations available and once they surpass that number of bikes, they have to change the offset on the keyway. And to further complicate matters, Helmet Guardian locks have two different style locks, with different keyway offsets, and there is no way to know which one you will get.

I walked into a Yamaha dealer and found 3 different Yamaha cruiser models that my Yamaha key would fit into. The parts counter pulled up the prices on them and they were about $30 each. But I already had spent the money on the helmet guardian locks at that point. So I just walked around a motorcycle junk yard till I found a helmet lock that my Yamaha key would go in and bought a couple for $5. Then I removed the cylinders and put them in the helmet guardian locks.

Photos here:

https://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/helmetlocks

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an FYI,

While looking for the lock assemblies themselves at Yamaha it was discovered that Yamaha uses different replacement cylinders as well. Your key may fit a particular bike however if you order a lock assembly for that bike it may not fit (been there, done that)...

As stated earlier, the Helmet Guardian uses different lock cylinders. I poked a very small hole thru the Helmet Guardian bag and inserted my key. If it fits in, its a keeper....

Scott

Latest posts