Helmet talk....what are you wearing??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nolan N102

n102ncom_arcticgray.jpg

I wear an HJC Symax II and I like it so much that I cleaned out my stock of old helmets a few months ago. I disposed of a Zeus flip face that I was wearing during a low speed crash, an old Simpson full face, and an even older Bell 3/4. I got a new HJC for my wife recently as well.

I had a symax, but found it too "bulbous" on my head, and too much buffeting/noise. Never tried the Symax II. I'm guessing they improved the symax in the making of the II. Does it have good ventilation?
The Symax II fits my head nicely. Not all helmets do, so it's definitely a matter of trying them on. I tried on a couple other HJC helmets and they fit me about the same as the Symax II.

Ventilation is very good, I can feel the cool air across the top of my bald head when I open the vents.

It is noisy in the wind. I always ride with earplugs anyway, so that's not a problem for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just threw my Shoei RF900 on the shelf and got a new Nolan N103. I really love the flip up feature and the internal sun visor is way cool. I don't like the extra weight and more noise, but so far the pluses outweigh the minuses.

Started out with a Shoei modular. Good, comfortable helmet. After 4 years of riding in the rain, the inner parts of the chin section fell out.

Got myself a Caberg modular, because it was cheaper than a Shoei. Big mistake. It worked, but was noisier, heavier, and smelled 'orribly after a while. The visor scratched easily, the chin strap stretched. Never as comfortable as the Shoei, never happy with it, but it did have a sun visor. That didn't work very well.

Eventually got fed up with it, saved up LOTS of pennies, got myself a Schuberth C3. Lighter, quieter, very comfortable. But part of the slide mechanism for the sun visor failed. Sent it back from the supplier, it was repaired and returned after about 4 weeks, so back to the Caberg for that time. Got the C3 back. Nearly heaven. Only issue is it mists up very easily due to a combination of very snug fitting round neck and some atrocious weather, but I am happy to put up with riding with the visor cracked open a little. Which does increase the noise level but it's still QUIET, although I still prefer to wear ear plugs.

Best £400 I've spent in a while, but yet to try it in anything but cold weather.

I'm using Nolan N 102 (two of them, one for each bike). I like the chin strap latching mechanism a lot. I'd get an N 103 but being a cheap bastage, I find internet deals and just got my new Secret for about $215. I've had 3 other N 102s but donated others to sons who ride.

doctorj

I wear a Arai since last summer, it is worth every penny! I also have a HJC full face and a half cap if I am feeling adventous :yahoo:

th_Picture009.jpg

HJC CL-MAX. I just bought my second one at a close out price. All around good helmet value even with the extra $15 for a quick release.

OBD

I started with a Shoei RF-1000 which proved to be fairly uncomfortable.

I then got a super deal on a Scorpion EXO-700 last year, which ended up proving to be REALLY not a good fit for my head. Not to mention the embarrassment of huge dents in my forehead that would last forever when I took it off.

I just bought what I always really wanted anyway; an Arai Profile.

Now, I just need to wait until I can actually use it.

Shark RSI. Best helmet I've ever owned.

I've also got an HJC flip up type but it's frickin huge and noisy.

Planning on getting 1 or 2 more Shark's in the next couple of months.

I then got a super deal on a Scorpion EXO-700 last year, which ended up proving to be REALLY not a good fit for my head. Not to mention the embarrassment of huge dents in my forehead that would last forever when I took it off.

You will love the Arai!!! Be lucky your head fits comfortable in it. Many others have tried one and it did not fit them well at all. I guess we are special B)

I'm a sworn Arai guy having found nothing else that fits me better. I love the various Concepts I've owned C1s and C2s but they were never 24-hour comfortable like my Arai's.

Having said that, I'm about to order an Akuma Phantom II given the stellar reviews it's getting. I'll report once I've had a chance to see how it compares to my Arai Profile

I've got an HJC AC-15 I bought from newenough on closeout. It has some wind noise around the hinges, but it's hard for me to imagine a helmet fitting me any better. No hot spots anywhere, and I can wear it all day. Sadly, I'm none too gentile with it and it's got some marks and scratches where I've bumped walls and doorways with it.

I know there are fancier, lighter, quieter helmets to be had, but this one fits so well I hate the thought of parting with it.

There's a brand spankin' new Shoei Multitec here in front of me. Have not ridden with it yet but it feels comfortable.

A Shoei RF-1000, shiny & all boxed up and ready to ship out if anyone buys it (hint: check the classifieds).

An HJC CL-MAX modular, noisy, it's ok but it just is not confidence inspiring.

And another HJC of unknown model that was given to me.

They are multiplying.

2523681900086768460S600x600Q85.jpg

The KBC on the right is the one I just painted Hi Vis Yellow.

2636264930086768460S500x500Q85.jpg

I got a pair of Shoei Ram Air 3/4 helmets around somewhere that we don't wear anymore. (Size Small if anyone is intrested)

My wife has a matching RF1000 so it was not included either..

KM

Currently have 3,

1) Arai full face (don't remember model number) as my backup helmet

2) Scorpion Exo700

3) Symanx II

I just bought the Symax and hope it's comfortable for the long haul, love the idea of the modular, but I think i may wind up getting a Shoei or Arai Modular before June as the Symax seems to be a bit too close to my mouth with the chin bar for my comfort and want to see if that gets better as the helmet breaks in... Loved my Arai, but it's several years old and expensive to replace. The Scorpion had some nice features (Chin wind guard, removable washable liners etc) but man was it heavy and always felt like it was pressing on my face in wierd spots

Looked at the Nolan, and IMHO it felt a lot less "solid" then the HJC did, and frankly I like the latch on the HJC better as it seemed to be easier to operate in gloves then the Nolan did...of course that is just IMHO

You will love the Arai!!! Be lucky your head fits comfortable in it. Many others have tried one and it did not fit them well at all. I guess we are special B)

I tried an Arai, but it didnt fit well. Guess I have a Shoei head, thus the 3 Shoei helmets I now have. I do like the way the Arai's have the vents in the face shield and the cover over the shield hinge. Either way, the Arai and Shoei are definitely both premium brands and you probably cant go wrong with either.

Z1R Like 'em! Cheap, best safety record, works well!
Same here, but thinking about getting something that fits my LO better.

Not a lot of mention of Arai here, wonder why? Ooops, looked again. Never mind.