Helmet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a license plate holder that doubles as a two helmet holder.

I also sit to eat facing my parked bike whenever possible.
Yeah, 'cuz you're gonna drop your chimichanga and run your old ass outside to catch the 20 year old methed out 110lb track star dumbass that just ran away with your $400 helmet. Lol...

When the cops show up 45 minutes later, maybe they can chase him down...
no.gif
fuck.gif
smile.png
I take your point, HRZ, but I suspect that in many cases if a bad guy is up to no good he might just sidle past the bike nice and slowly once or twice before making his move (to see what he's up against). Might give Wheatie enough time to intervene.

Try this, google search ( helmetlocksite;fjrforum.com )TownsendFJR1300 makes the brackets

Lots of reading
Yep. Helmet guardian locks, tumblers re-done so they use the same key as everything else on the bike. Mounted using Townsend's brackets, one on each side

DSCN1903.jpg

You guys know I'm just screwing with you, right? Problem is these days, thieves have nearly no fear. Gone are the days when they would walk by once or twice to see if anyone is looking. Now, they see a victim, and make a grab. In less than 3 seconds your shit is gone.

This comes from a lack of proper punishment during prosecution, and a lack of ass-kicking when caught by the victim...But those are topics for probably another Forum.

You guys know I'm just screwing with you, right? Problem is these days, thieves have nearly no fear. Gone are the days when they would walk by once or twice to see if anyone is looking. Now, they see a victim, and make a grab. In less than 3 seconds your shit is gone.
This comes from a lack of proper punishment during prosecution, and a lack of ass-kicking when caught by the victim...But those are topics for probably another Forum.
...or the lack of response by law enforcement when reporting property crimes. Back in the 70s, my house was broken into when we were at work. A few things were taken but the city police and detectives responded quickly and spent 1-2 hours taking evidence and advising us how to prevent future break-ins.

Nowadays, they don't even take a phone report and record the incident unless someone has been hurt or a sizeable amount of property is involved. More prevasive in certain dense urban communities than less populated areas from what I understand.

Dan

Never hang a helmet on the mirror. It collapses the foam, that helps decelerate your brain on impact. I call that bad.
wink.png
I always hang my helmet on the mirror stalk. I'd expect the foam crushing from it as compared to it being on your head is negligible. Definitely a chance that I'm willing to take. Oh, forgot to add... I replace my helmet after a few years, anyhow.

Never hang a helmet on the mirror. It collapses the foam, that helps decelerate your brain on impact. I call that bad.
wink.png
First time that I've ever heard this & I've been riding for about 13 years. I always hang my helmet on the mirror stalk. I'd expect the foam crushing from it as compared to it being crushed on your head is negligible. Definitely a chance that I'm willing to take. Oh, forgot to add... I replace my helmet after a few years, anyhow.

That bit about hanging on mirrors and crushing the foam has been in the literature for every helmet I have bought for the last few years. Donno how accurate it is, but I'm sure, under extreme conditions, the foam could get damaged. I don't hang mine on my mirror much, but every now and then, there's just no better place.

Here's another low tech option:

Get a length of vinyl coated steel wire rope (aka cable) and make a loop on both ends with pressed swage fittings. Heat shrink tube around the rough edges of the fittings.

100_0220.jpg

Loop the cable thru the chin bars and then back through itself.

Take the tag end and hook it over the seat locking tab before you close the seat.

100_0221.jpg

When you latch the seat your cable and helmets are all nicely locked and they can sit on top of your seat, right side up so now rain or bird poop in the interior, also without fear they will hit the ground if blown (or knocked) off.

The above is shown on a 1st Gen but later gens will work also.

Here's another low tech option:

Get a length of vinyl coated steel wire rope (aka cable) and make a loop on both ends with pressed swage fittings. Heat shrink tube around the rough edges of the fittings.

100_0220.jpg

Loop the cable thru the chin bars and then back through itself.

Take the tag end and hook it over the seat locking tab before you close the seat.

100_0221.jpg

When you latch the seat your cable and helmets are all nicely locked and they can sit on top of your seat, right side up so now rain or bird poop in the interior, also without fear they will hit the ground if blown (or knocked) off.

The above is shown on a 1st Gen but later gens will work also.
Brilliant! I've used a bicycle cable lock in a similar way on occasion but this takes up less room and doesn't need an extra key. Very nice.

I leave my helmet on my mirror, setting it so the very back rests on the mirror. That would be where my neck is, no worry about crushing the foam. If the foam is damaged by setting it on a mirror, it isn't worth a shit anyway. And I don't lock it either. I've left it unlocked for a few years now hoping it would get stolen so I can get a new one, no luck.
no.gif

For the last 6 years, I did the cable through the D-ring, and made a bracket that mounted under the seat. It worked, but was a pain in the ass. Just yesterday, I installed the brackets and locks from Scott Townsend (from this forum, an ace of a guy), and went for a ride today. No more cable bull$hit. I now have proper helmet locks (like on my first two Yamahas, one a 1979, and the other a 1982). I can't believe Yamaha could make such a great sport-tourer, and NOT have helmet locks. I saw in some other post that somebody suggested that a helmet will fit in the saddlebags. Cripes, if I was going to leave home with empty saddlebags, I would just leave them at home (unless making a beer run). Plus, if I'm on a trip, and have the saddlebags full of clothing, Crown Royal Black, and a gross of condoms, I sure as hell am not going to leave that stuff sitting on the seat so my helmet can go in the saddlebag while I'm enjoying my lunch. Do what all the smart previous responders have done and buy/fabricate/create a proper helmet lock. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.............

That's the picture I needed in my head...A guy who calls himslef "SwollenRaccoon" with a "gross of condoms." :no:

Thanks for the bad dreams buddy!!

Last edited by a moderator:
To each his (or her) own.

I've never used a cable through the d-rings. That does sound like it would be a pain in the ass. But looping it through the chin bar takes no time at all.

The big problem with all of the "proper helmet locks" as I see it is that you leave your helmet hanging in an inverted orientation, perfect for rain, bird crap or a passing dog to defoul the insides, where you'll soon be jamming your noggin.

To each his (or her) own.
I've never used a cable through the d-rings. That does sound like it would be a pain in the ass. But looping it through the chin bar takes no time at all.

The big problem with all of the "proper helmet locks" as I see it is that you leave your helmet hanging in an inverted orientation, perfect for rain, bird crap or a passing dog to defoul the insides, where you'll soon be jamming your noggin.
That, and some helmets like my Schuberths don’t have d-rings so through-the-chinbar is the only option.