Help a Brother Out - Ride Recommendations Yosemite, Lassen, Redwoods...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhatAir4Me

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Top of the day,

So I have always had a motorcycle for the last 34 years but my recent purchase of the FJR in July is the first touring and as such my wife and I are new to all of this. Our time is spent riding behind the boat and road trips consisted of what is the quickest way to get there.

I just mounted a top box and tank bag yesterday, installed some SENA headsets, changed my oil, packed a small tool box and it looks like were hitting the road! Here is the plan;

We leave for Shasta noon on Thursday this week, I ride the bike and she drives her car to Shasta, some friends from Klamath Falls sold their house in Redding and bought a house boat so we plan to hang with them thru Sunday. They will drive the car back to Klamath Falls for us Monday. OK so here is where the bike comes in.

Monday am leave Shasta and ride straight through to Yosemite, since this is the longest leg we were thinking about just shooting staight down I-5, we have a little cabin (three block walls and a curtain) at the Homestead Campground there for Monday and Tuesday Night. Wednesday AM leave for Lassen National Park (I know it is right by Shasta) but there is a method to the madness I think...this time we go up thru Reno, possibly hit Tahoe or? we have a little cabin or something (wife did accommodations) at a KOA near Lassen for Wednesday night, we then leave for Trinity/Whiskey Town Thursday am and she has something lined up outside of Whiskey Town for Thursday night, Friday morning we are heading to the Redwoods and as of yet have not found anywhere near there to stay. This is where it gets a little ambiguous, as we need to get from Northern California Coast to Klamath Falls to pickup her car, we were going to drive North on 97 from K-Falls and drop the car and ride into Crater Lake on the way home to Bend.

Any route suggestions, must see's, must avoids, and tidbits would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

JP

You may want to look through these pixs, they cover the same area you are going. The last page of the pixs have some crude maps of our routing. Our previous trip covered Yosemite, Mono lake and Sequoia. Trip outline that follows the pictures:

San Jose California Motorcycle Adventures to pick up a BMW K1600GT
Rt 84 Alice's Restaurant
Golden Gate Bridge
(lane split, traffic filter, jump to front at lights)
Coastal Rt 1 to Bodega Bay
Fort Bragg
errands Rt 20 to Willits
Leggett
Chandelier Drive thru tree
Garberville hotels were full so we went back to the $Benbow Inn$
Avenue of the Giants *Recommended!
Eureka
Newton B. Drury Scenic Parkway *Recommended!
Rt 199 Grants Pass Or
Klamath Falls Or
Lava Beds National Park
Modoc National Forrest
Klamath Falls
Mt. Shasta
Lassen National Forrest
Lassen Volcanic National Park *Recommended!
Chester on Lake Almanor
Lake Tahoe
Minden Nv
Bodie Mining Town *Recommended!
Rt 108 Sonora Pass
Rt 49 Jackson
Rt 49 Grass Valley
Rt 49 to Rt 89
Rt 89 lunch at the Coyote Bar & Grill *Recommended!

California 89 to Rt 70

Rt 70 Feather River Highway *Recommended!
Chico family duty
Calistoga
Sonoma, Napa, Culinary Institute of America Graystone
Castro Valley family duty
San Jose California Motorcycle Adventures after 2.5k miles

Last edited by a moderator:
There are only two ways to get from Shasta to Yosemite.

1. The good way.

2. I-5

I recommend the good way. It involves staying in the Sierras all you can, lots of gorgeous mountain roads, and cooler weather. Ionbeam's post has lots of specifics, but to simplify it for planning purposes, just stay in the mountains.

The second part is easy too. "The redwoods" can be found from San Jose to well into Oregon in numerous locations, but the best density and the biggest trees can probably be found from The Avenue of the Giants, half an hour south of Eureka, and north from there, with groves in several locations, but they're pretty much all along 101. So stick to 101. Simple. Takes you up Crescent City, then you can go inland on 199 toward Grants Pass, another pretty road. Lots of places to stay, of course; state campgrounds, KOA-type places, and lots of motels, but you've picked the worst time ever for this trip, as you know, with Labor Day, so probably need to get some specifics and make reservations ASAP. Enjoy your trip.

(+1 on skipping Reno.)

Dunno how your interests lie, but if you are in the area of Lake Tahoe consider a short run over to the ghost mining town of Bodie. The last few miles of the road is dirt and a bit rough but the town is really interesting. We planned 1/2 a day and that was not enough.

For norcal coast to K falls I would do 299 from Arcata to willow creek then 96 to I-5. Take I-5 over the pass and then take 66 to K falls.

If you're farther north in Kali then 199 to Grants Pass and then south to 66 or 199 to Obrien and then south to Happy camp and then 96 to I-5 to 66

Last edited by a moderator:
You may want to look through these pixs, they cover the same area you are going. The last page of the pixs have some crude maps of our routing. Our previous trip covered Yosemite, Mono lake and Sequoia. Trip outline that follows the pictures:
Ionbeam, thanks so much for taking the time to reply. It looks as though you had an amazing trip indeed! I only hope to provide half the ride report upon our return. Beautiful pics, we look forward to retracing some of your steps. Probably hold off on the Brodie excursion given our time frame but will put it on the future list for sure!

Bubnatr, nice, good call, we used to have reciprocal ski benefits at Alpine Meadows and only took advantage of it once, the west side had a big snow/rock slide during our stay so we never ventured to that side of the lake, definitely making this part of the trip. Thank you for taking the time.

There are only two ways to get from Shasta to Yosemite.
1. The good way.

2. I-5

I recommend the good way. It involves staying in the Sierras all you can, lots of gorgeous mountain roads, and cooler weather. Ionbeam's post has lots of specifics, but to simplify it for planning purposes, just stay in the mountains.

The second part is easy too. "The redwoods" can be found from San Jose to well into Oregon in numerous locations, but the best density and the biggest trees can probably be found from The Avenue of the Giants, half an hour south of Eureka, and north from there, with groves in several locations, but they're pretty much all along 101. So stick to 101. Simple. Takes you up Crescent City, then you can go inland on 199 toward Grants Pass, another pretty road. Lots of places to stay, of course; state campgrounds, KOA-type places, and lots of motels, but you've picked the worst time ever for this trip, as you know, with Labor Day, so probably need to get some specifics and make reservations ASAP. Enjoy your trip.

(+1 on skipping Reno.)
Sac Mike, your singing to the choir, my wife came up with the "this is our longest day we should just shoot down I-5" I came back with we should just shoot ourselves first!

Hwy 101 - check, I think I can handle that one. I think I actually managed to find our last nights safe harbor on air-BNB tonight. Nice setup at the head of the Smith River with private room, bath and and common pool table a 9 iron from the beach, cheap and with over a hundred five star reviews from previous guests we should be OK. Thanks for the words of wisdom.

For norcal coast to K falls I would do 299 from Arcata to willow creek then 96 to I-5. Take I-5 over the pass and then take 66 to K falls.If you're farther north in Kali then 199 to Grants Pass and then south to 66 or 199 to Obrien and then south to Happy camp and then 96 to I-5 to 66
Copy that Ray, I spent some time on Google maps today and the 199 to Grass Pants yes Grass Pants to Happy Camp route caught my eye as well, thanks for the heads up.

We look forward to meeting you at the Rueben Run. Joel called today to check on his new griddle and I assured him my vacation will not get in the way of his new piece, install set for 9-14 just in time to get seasoned with a pile O rubens!

JP