Help me plan a ride...Bryce, Zion, Grand Cyn.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tree Doc

Reaction score
I haven't been near these places since I was a kid and I know I'm gonna regret not having gone there sooner. My wife and I want to do a ride from here on the Central Coast of CA and loop through all those awesome sights. Initially I'm thinking Mesquite for our first stop then set out to the northern sites, catch Page, AZ and the Glen Cyn Dam, then maybe both North and South Rims. I'd like to exit down through Sedona and on to Prescott to visit old family friends that used to live here in CA. Maybe even find a new place to move to get out of this crap state.

I was hoping you guys that have been through there can recommend the places that we shouldn't miss, places we might stay on the relative cheap (camping is out since my bride is along), and anything else that we should do, see, or whatever.

The wife is a teacher so our first opportunity would be the Easter Break the first week of April or wait till she's out in early June. That decision could be made based on what suggestions come in and how much time we'll need to comfortably enjoy the trip. Have Russell Day Long, will travel.
bike.gif

Doc, check out my ride report of the trip I did in fall 2011 here. Then shoot me your email addy in a PM and I'd be happy to send you the Excel file with all the places we stayed, etc.

Southern Utah is better than you remember but I'd be wary of an LD trip in April as many of the passes could pose trouble if a cold storm drops from the north while you are on your trip. I left Page with rain- snow mix one year in May. Spring travel can get dicey as the weather has more mood swings than 15 year old kid.

If you can be sure to ride hwy 12 from Bryce to Torrey including Hell's backbone. You will have a great trip, I'm planning to take my bride for her first time over there this fall.

Doc, check out my ride report of the trip I did in fall 2011 here. Then shoot me your email addy in a PM and I'd be happy to send you the Excel file with all the places we stayed, etc.
Thanks, Tyler! PM sent.

I figgered April is sketchy weatherwise just about anywhere. We may do something more "in state" during that week long break she has and reserve the Canyon trip where time is no issue.

Southern Utah is better than you remember but I'd be wary of an LD trip in April as many of the passes could pose trouble if a cold storm drops from the north while you are on your trip. I left Page with rain- snow mix one year in May. Spring travel can get dicey as the weather has more mood swings than 15 year old kid.
If you can be sure to ride hwy 12 from Bryce to Torrey including Hell's backbone. You will have a great trip, I'm planning to take my bride for her first time over there this fall.
Make it in July Bugman...and you and wifey will see us there. It could be incredibly hot...but with my wife as a teacher, summer is the only time both of us can make it. Since we're also doing the higher altitude mountain passes of Colorado, and wifey likes hot better than cold...we're doing July.

If you are going through Page AZ, I highly recommend Antelope Canyon. This slot canyon is located just a few miles east of Page on HWY 98. It is located between Page and the Navajo Power Plant. I prefer Lower Antelope but either canyon is a truly moving experience. Be prepared to pay for the privilege though, you have to pay a Navajo guide. Google Antelope Canyon or look it up on YouTube. I think you will be impressed.

I agree with waiting until school's out, but make a plan and get lodging reservations ASAP. Once schools let out, it can be a zoo.

If you're going to spend a night in Mesquite, I'd plan the next day to hit Bryce in the morning, then Zion in the afternoon, spending the night nearby.

The third day take the eastern park exit and head down to the North Rim. I'd spend the rest of the day there - and the night. The ride from the north rim to the south is worth doing in daylight.

Next day ride around to the South Rim, via Glen Canyon Dam. Lots of photo ops along the way.

Whether you spend the night near the South Rim or somewhere on the way south is going to depend upon whether you are planning to spend time hiking down into the Canyon. And upon how many days you have for the trip.

Anyway, that an outline. No matter how you do it, have fun, be safe, and take photos!

The best views of the Grand Canyon are from the South Rim so if you get short on time skip the North Rim. If you go south toward Flagstaff be sure to ride Loop Rd. off Hwy 89 through Sunset Crater Nat. Park.

As mentioned Hwy 12 is not to be missed. It is one of the most spectacular roads scenery-wise in the US. Continue on Hwy 24 from Torrey to Hanksville where you'll pick up Hwy 95. Hwy 95 is initially a bit dull but once you get close to the river the scenery is fantastic all the way to the Blanding area.

The best views of the Grand Canyon are from the South Rim so if you get short on time skip the North Rim. If you go south toward Flagstaff be sure to ride Loop Rd. off Hwy 89 through Sunset Crater Nat. Park.
That's debatable, but I'll go with you on that one. However the crowds and ambiance is so much better on the north rim. Since discovering the north rim, I'll never go back to the south rim again.

As mentioned Hwy 12 is not to be missed. It is one of the most spectacular roads scenery-wise in the US. Continue on Hwy 24 from Torrey to Hanksville where you'll pick up Hwy 95. Hwy 95 is initially a bit dull but once you get close to the river the scenery is fantastic all the way to the Blanding area.

My favorite place to stay along this route is the Boulder Mountain Lodge. The Lodge itself is nice, but the restaurant that is there - the Hell's Backbone Grill, is one of my favorite destinations.

That's debatable, but I'll go with you on that one. However the crowds and ambiance is so much better on the north rim. Since discovering the north rim, I'll never go back to the south rim again.
+1, Gunny; I have not ridden to the South Rim in many years, the North Rim is just so much nicer!

"Visitor lodging and food services inside the National Park on the North Rim are open from mid-May to mid-October. The road from Jacob Lake to the North Rim (Highway 67) is usually closed from mid-October to mid-May."

Last edited by a moderator:
+1, Gunny; I have not ridden to the South Rim in many years, the North Rim is just so much nicer!

"Visitor lodging and food services inside the National Park on the North Rim are open from mid-May to mid-October. The road from Jacob Lake to the North Rim (Highway 67) is usually closed from mid-October to mid-May."
+1

If you've never been there, the south rim is a good start. You won't soon forget the spectacular views with the sun at your back.

You also won't soon forget the traffic, crowds and noise. The South Rim is freeway-accessable and lots of folks just drop by for a few hours. LOTS of folks.

The North Rim is forested, quiet and MUCH less crowded. It's like a different planet. And if you decide to hike down in for a ways, it won't seem like rush hour on the 405. The road to the North Rim is one that isn't really "on the way" to anywhere else for most folks so there are a lot fewer

'drop-ins'.

B.

The disclaimer is, I haven't been to the South Rim. But my impression has always been "touristy." But I totally agree with bgross et al about the beautiful North Rim area. Just peaceful and gorgeous. It's also about a thousand feet higher than the South Rim, so it's that much cooler.

The North Rim Lodge is one of those old-fashioned classy national park inns somewhat like the Ahwahnee or the Old Faithful Lodge, with a beautiful big dining room with a four-million dollar view. Accommodations are in private free-standing cabins the prices are reasonable, and about a one-minute walk from the rim. There are also some great rides nearby, like about a 20-mile loop up to Point Imperial--a gorgeous place and a GREAT M/C road.

It's a hell of a long haul from the North Rim to the South, as more food for thought, if you're thinking about trying to see both of them. The North Rim is much more conveniently placed for seeing those great Southern Utah parks and sights. Enjoy the trip.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts