Help on aux tank fittings - maple farkles tank

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ndv21

Reaction score
Got a great deal on one of the maple farkles tanks from a friend who is switching bikes so I'm excited to get this puppy plumbed and ready. The aux tank is installed and I am fixing to pull the main tank off. My question for those who have done this procedure are the following:

What bulkhead fitting did you use? size? did you go with a 90 degree option?

What is the best quick disconnect available that will not restrict the flow too much? Is it better to go with a smaller QD?

Links to where to purchase these would be appreciated. The hose lines are 1/4 inch if that helps any.

The drilling of the tank is a worry some task for me. I'm probably going to take it to a shop and have them weld in the bulkhead fitting. Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on welding in a bung. One less thing to go wrong. Brass 90/ Barb fitting to fuel line. QD under the seat.

Gasoline over a hot motor and all of it between your legs. What could ever go wrong there!
weirdsmiley.gif

Thank you all for the info. Main tank is off and im gonna have the bulkhead fitting welded on.

Question regarding the quick disconnect fitting. Is there a specific direction on which the QD should be installed? To be clearer, should the female coupling be installed on the hose connected to the aux tank and the male plug on the hose attached to the main tank or vice versa?

Thank you all for the info. Main tank is off and im gonna have the bulkhead fitting welded on.

Question regarding the quick disconnect fitting. Is there a specific direction on which the QD should be installed? To be clearer, should the female coupling be installed on the hose connected to the aux tank and the male plug on the hose attached to the main tank or vice versa?
I don't think it matters. Both sides have to be leak free when disconnected. If the aux tank is on and off regularly it might be best to leave the male on main tank side so as to not possibly damage the o-ring when aux tank is removed and placed into storage?

It is very easy to push the male disconnect and cause it to leak, so I wouldn't put it on the bike side unless you have a one way check valve between it and the tank.

I have those QD's on my BMW, and have to be careful when removing the tank to make sure I don't get a puddle on the floor.