Gen 2 to Gen 3; what fits?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fljab

Reaction score
I have found a great deal on an '18A and thinking of getting it. I want to take as many of the farkles from my '09A as possible. I know that basically the tank back is the same. My rear Canyon Cage pannier guards will fit, but will need new fronts for the '18. (Yes, I know CC is out of business, but there are other options including used).

I have a Helibar top mount on the '09; that should fit the '18, yes?

Dash shelf; I know there is a different design for Gen 3 but unsure what all that is, so IF I can find a used one, OK, but if not, will look at what it takes to adapt. Maybe some trimming?

My RDL seat will fit no problem, and my aux tank setup should also. My '09 is high miles (will be ~135K or so at the end of July), so if I can't sell it whole, may take that drilled tank (which is covered with a Bagster cover so color diff not noticable) and put it on the new one, and set the new, undrilled tank on a shelf. I'll post the '09 for sale here and elsewhere first before I make that decision. Q: are the bottom fuel fittings the same Gen 2 to 3?

What else? I'm not going to the extremes I did with the '09, but I do use my FJR primarily for LD, so some things in that direction are required equipment IMO.

I have a Wilburs shock and fork springs; that should go over no problem.

I need to come up with some clean aux light brackets; anyone know who has them?

I'm going to ditch the wired J&M CB setup and will do a bluetooth (Sena 20?) from my Garmin 550. The GPS bluetooths to my phone which in turn provides streaming music, audible books, and of course calls. The GPS should also give me turn by turn guidance when I need it. Old GPS, but I now have 3 of them with the mounts, so have spares of everything and will work fine for my use.

Matte Blue isn't my favorite FJR color by a long shot, but if this deal goes the way I think it will, then I'll be OK with it. I'm dreaming of cruising @ 80 in 6th gear already!

fljab, hoping the deal goes your way, should you decide to separate parts I would be interested in the front canyon cages.

thanks

John

Jim, We need to set up a garage day for gen 2 to gen 3 transfers. LOL I have a. Feeling that you will have yours done before I even begin on mine. Cox, fender extender, risers, fuse blocks... I get tired just thinking about it.
Suspension, trunk, aux lights, decals....

Last edited by a moderator:
T, yeah, I know a bunch of stuff like that will. Not sure I could pry my fender extender off; it got loose once and I bonded the heck out of it! It hasn't quivered since. I've got to de-LD the '09 to some extent but will leave some of the things on it that I know won't transfer as maybe that would help with the sale. If that doesn't work, then it will go the way your '05 did, but man, hate to do that, it's still a great bike for someone if the miles don't scare 'em. I guess I could mount the engine on the wall next to yours for garage art!

I need to see what the diff is on the dash shelf Gen 2 to 3. Unless I get lucky and find one used, I'll look to modify mine to fit as long as I can do it clean. I still like those for the GPS; keeps stuff off the handlebars.

Id like to know about transferability as well. My 09 rally bike has the Tag-A-Long fuel cell, RDL saddle, Helibar triple, Ohlins rear and a bunch of other stuff. Would the above named parts transfer straight across to a Gen 3?

Id like to know about transferability as well. My rally bike has the Tag-A-Long fuel cell, RDL saddle, Helibar triple, Ohlins rear and a bunch of other stuff. Would the above named parts transfer straight across?

Last edited by a moderator:
Id like to know about transferability as well. My 09 rally bike has the Tag-A-Long fuel cell, RDL saddle, Helibar triple, Ohlins rear and a bunch of other stuff. Would the above named parts transfer straight across to a Gen 3?
I believe all of those will go over. I was going to take the Helibar (old style) with the 1" spacers, have them powdercoated black semi (to match the '18) and put them on. gotta find that top clamp from wherever it went to in the past 9ish yrs!

I think the main differences are associated with the front tupperware/dash. I was concerned about the Canyon Cages, but those aren't available anymore and the R-gaza set I ordered (and haven't got yet) say they're good for '01 up :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GD33W67/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I want a N-Line dash - also no longer in production - but haven't been able to find one as yet. I'll hold on to the one off the '09 and see how it differs. I need to look at one on the bike, but haven't seen one in person. I guess I need to go to an IBA event (I missed all the IBR checkpoints - first time in years).

I haven't done much to the Gen III as yet, but am collecting parts.

Latest posts