Help With Admore Light Bar Install Please

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
This just arrived, along with a fairly weak set of instructions. I need a real step-by-step with "which color wire goes where," especially since the six wire colors on the Admore are not all the same colors as the ones on my Gen 3. I have the Admore kit on my Givi 55L trunk, and that was just a matter of connecting to identical connectors from the light kit to the bike that were all pre-wired, but this one is a bunch of colored spaghetti (you get that I'm not a real high-tech guy, right?). At least they provided Posi-Taps.

It's all mounted, just need to know what wires to tap to what. Anybody able to help? Or know of a good installation guide for this thing?

The light kit.

The instructions they provided.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike,

When you pop off the back seat, you will see a thick cable coming from the taillight area along the left side of the bike as you sit on it. That bundle of wires is what you want to tap into. I just installed my Hyperlites and IIRC...

Black Bike Wire to Black Admore Wire (Ground)

Green Bike Wire to Green Admore Wire (Right Turn Signal)

Brown Bike Wire to Yellow Admore Wire (left Turn Signal)

Blue Bike Wire to Blue & Red Admore Wires (Tail Light)

Yellow Bike Wire to Purple Admore Wire (Brake Light)

I stripped off a section of the black covering on the wires in two places to keep from ending up with a pile of positaps all in one place. I stripped off a section just past the section were the rubber tie downs are, put three taps there, then went a little farther forward under the front seat bracket and made room for the turn signal taps. Nice tidy install once I was done. I had some cable sheathing lying around so I covered most of my Hyperlite wires and routed them in the gray tie downs the thick cable resides in.

DSCN06631_zpsho34fhbh.jpg

DSCN06621_zpsxudkfoei.jpg

Correct RaYzerman19, that is exactly what I did. Unhooked the harness near the airbox horn and pulled it back so I had easy access to everything, then made my cuts and connections.

Thanks, that looks like the ticket, John. And Ray, I did get to that connector under the left side (silver colored) panel when I connected the two plugs together for the trunk lights that I added to the Givi. Those were Admore lights too, but they had the same plug in that wire bundle as the one on the FJR; this brake/turn light bar doesn't have that, so I don't think it would do me any good to go under there again to make this new connection. I'll just tap into the bundle closer to the tail lights where it's more accessible like John's pics show.

If it doesn't work, I'll probably just come back and complain about John's memory. :lol: Otherwise I'll come back and tell you how I like the lights. I really like that "marquee" scrolling pattern for the turn and emergency signals. Good video of it here.

I used the plug and play admore connector. No posi-taps needed. Even though all the information I needed was in the instructions you shared, I still mis-read them at first and had to re-do wiring to the block, which was easy. Very easy install. Very good light, IIRC.

Success! Looks like my friend MNFJR05's memory is still intact. I'm very low in confidence on any electrical project, so the help was invaluable. Thanks, John. Didn't need the extra harness--I love Posi-Taps. There is a jumble of colored wires under my seat now, which I tried to tame with a couple of small zip ties, but what the hell. I can't see 'em.

On a slightly unrelated note--Why is it so hard to get the taillight bulb sockets out--or back in? Why not just a simple arrangement of tabs and slots so a simple push-and-twist could get a bulb change done in seconds? Oh, never mind. Next I'll be complaining how it's almost impossible to get the tail light cover off. (Or it may actually be impossible. I'll probably never find out.) My '05 still has a screw or something inside that I dropped there years ago. Think how easy changing a taillight bulb could be. *sigh*

p.s. If you are able to remove and re-install a tail light bulb easily, I'm so happy for you. Don't bother posting to tell me about it. I'm busy bandaging my knuckles.