Here come the questions: Rear Brake

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 on bleeding AND checking the pivot point on the pedal arm. I ride in the rain all the time and my rear brake started sticking, because all the grease apparently washed out of the pivot on the pedal. I could get it to release by using my toe and pulling the pedal up. Took it apart, cleaned it, greased it, and all was right with the world again. Opposite of your problem, but points to the fact that pivot points do need to be re-lubed.

How do you get to the brake lever pivot? It seems to require removing some sort of clip from a pin connecting the pedal to the brake cylinder pushrod and I've got no clue as to how that's supposed to be done. (Could this be one of those "there's gotta be a better way" situations?)

Where is the service manual and tech info on how linked brakes work.? That is what I would be consulting instead of guessing. " brakes are kind of important"

How do you get to the brake lever pivot? It seems to require removing some sort of clip from a pin connecting the pedal to the brake cylinder pushrod and I've got no clue as to how that's supposed to be done. (Could this be one of those "there's gotta be a better way" situations?)
You have to remove the rear brake master cylinder along with the pivot assembly. Remove the brake pedal, the bolts that hold on the master cylinder and the bolt under/in front of the pivot assembly. I had to remove the brake switch spring, doing this for the first time (1) look carefully (2) or take notes (3) or take a picture. It's really not hard and really should be done. I use a solvent that evaporates to clean the parts so the grease that I put on won't get thinned out, otherwise wipe the parts dry before lubing with grease.

Where is the service manual and tech info on how linked brakes work.? That is what I would be consulting instead of guessing. " brakes are kind of important"
In the Factory Service Manual the "Unified Brake System" is explained in the first section on Features. It isn't really covered in the owners manual.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to remove the rear brake master cylinder along with the pivot assembly. Remove the brake pedal, the bolts that hold on the master cylinder and the bolt under/in front of the pivot assembly. I had to remove the brake switch spring, doing this for the first time (1) look carefully (2) or take notes (3) or take a picture. It's really not hard and really should be done. I use a solvent that evaporates to clean the parts so the grease that I put on won't get thinned out, otherwise wipe the parts dry before lubing with grease.

In the Factory Service Manual the "Unified Brake System" is explained in the first section on Features. It isn't really covered in the owners manual.

WHAT???!!!

To get to the PIVOT? The one we lube during PM?

I remove the little cotter pin...It comes from the factory with the cotter pin on the inside. After you take this apart and reassemble it, put the cotter pin on the outer side, which makes life easier. Remove the brake pedal. I have found on my bike that if I don't removed the peg assembly, I can't take the moving pivot all the way out. Once the pedal is removed and the peg assembly is removed, just slide the round pivot backwards out of the hole. Grease it up and then put it back.

Every other time, I leave the peg assembly in place. I slide the pivot back as much as I can and greast the portion that sticks out the rear. Then I stuff grease and chain lube in the front. It works fine, and my brake pedal doesn't stick. Put it all back together, paying attention to the dot punched into the lever and the splined pivot...so your brake lever is adjusted as it was from the factory. If you have moved it from that marked postion, make sure you mark it before you take it apart.

Unless Alan and I are talking about two totally different things, I donno why the Master Cylinder and springs and such have to come off...

Unless Alan and I are talking about two totally different things, I donno why the Master Cylinder and springs and such have to come off...

Just because he said so dumb shit...

Well, there's that. If I was as smart as Alan, I'd have me a better job. I'd make more money and get more vacation...

Looks like bust got back from his 15 mile beer run.
rolleyes.gif

WHAT???!!!

To get to the PIVOT? The one we lube during PM?

I remove the little cotter pin...It comes from the factory with the cotter pin on the inside. After you take this apart and reassemble it, put the cotter pin on the outer side, which makes life easier. Remove the brake pedal. I have found on my bike that if I don't removed the peg assembly, I can't take the moving pivot all the way out. Once the pedal is removed and the peg assembly is removed, just slide the round pivot backwards out of the hole. Grease it up and then put it back.

Every other time, I leave the peg assembly in place. I slide the pivot back as much as I can and greast the portion that sticks out the rear. Then I stuff grease and chain lube in the front. It works fine, and my brake pedal doesn't stick. Put it all back together, paying attention to the dot punched into the lever and the splined pivot...so your brake lever is adjusted as it was from the factory. If you have moved it from that marked postion, make sure you mark it before you take it apart.

Wow. I really appreciate this board - and the 'search' function.

I replaced the rear brake line and, during & after bleeding all of the air out of the system, had a really sluggish pedal.

Since it had been fine before I began the little project, I worried that something had "broken" - maybe the return spring in the master cylinder?

And then I stumbled upon AJ's post.

Problem solved! (I especially liked the suggestion about putting the cotter pin on the outside.) Thanks, AJ!

I guess I can check this item off the PM list for a while.

Sheesh Brett, I was just adding my own twist to what years of knowledge taught me. You don't really think any of that high-speed stuff was my idea do you?

Lol...Glad it worked out and we were here in spirit to help.

https://www.fjrtech.net/getdbitem.cfm?item=15

This covers all of the FJR pivot points.