Here we go again...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teerex51

The Italian Scallion
Reaction score
Pyreneemap.JPG

Just returned from the 2nd Tour of the Pyrenees this year. This thing is turning into an addiction. :rolleyes:

OTOH, where else in Europe would you find empty roads, good blacktop, nicer folks and cheaper gas? And I forgot to mention a very awesome mountain range that'll remain forever in your memories.

For those of us who were not so hot in high-school geography, the Pyrenee range runs from the Atlantic to the Mediterranean and marks the natural boundary between Spain and France (thin yellow line on the map) and often reaches 10K-foot elevations.

Having no intention to ride to Spain through France, we have reached Barcelona by car ferry and saved our tires for the main event (almost 2000 miles of very sexy bends...). :yahoo:

Our progress from Barcelona is shown by the orange line. We've crossed countless mountain passes into France and back out again and basically followed the Pyrenees as they reach NW to the Atlantic. Once we got there, we rode back to Barcelona almost on a straight line as we moved away from the higher elevations for the return trip.

We are determined to run this tour every year now and I will soon post a program for 2008 (late May). Our North American FJR brethren are most welcome to join us. Why don't you start clearing your diaries for the end of May 2008 :good:

There's a bike rental firm in Barcelona where you choose from a selection of rides (mostly Beemers) that go from an agile F650 to a portly R1200RT. All you need to do is cross the Big Water to Spain and we'll take care of the itinerary and accommodation. While the airfare and bike rental are your own choice, food and lodging will be arranged by us and should not exceed $100 per person per day. Gas this year was just over a tank a day at $30 (given the current exchange rate).

But get a taste of what it's like from this video.

The 2008 program will follow soon.
Stef

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like you had a good time. If Brits are allowed, I am sorely tempted to join you in 2008. I'm off to the Western USA for September so a trip to the Pyrenees in May looks good.

While you were in Spain I spent a week in Switzerland (and the Dolomites) and a couple of videos can be found here and here

Dave

(...) If Brits are allowed, I am sorely tempted to join you in 2008. (...)Dave
Dave, if you get the Queen's dispensation to hang out with Yanks and Wops :rolleyes: you're most welcome to join in.

The program will be finalized in a short while. Just watch this space... B)

Stef

Looks like a chance someone like me shouldn't pass up.

I was kinda planning a ride in Italy next summer though...maybe I can do this ride in 2009? Can I get my reservations in now for that :) ?

Sorry I missed that one, I would have ridden over to join you. I will wait for details for May 2008, pencil me in.

Bandito :ph34r:

Guys, the program for 2008 now appears under Regional Ride Planning/Europe.

Look forward to riding with you next year B)

Stef

Hi Stef,

sounds great, really fine, your planned Tour. That's just an adventure I like. I've been there (western pyrenees between Andorra, Perpignan and Barcelona) last in 2005 with my wife. Just fine roads, small, winding, loneley, high grip and most no traffic. Some day we've met only five cars and two bikes ... except 10 velos. ;)

I'm so sorry that your trip don't match my schedule. :cray: But this will need my annual vacation ... wich is yet planned.

I wish you a very nice trip!!! :yahoo: :thumbsupsmileyanim: And a nice meeting! :drinks:

:bike:

Troy, thanks for your wishes.

Maybe you can join us next time :drinks: (or change your plans and do it this year...)

Keith, drop everything (but not the bike --- again :rolleyes: ) and join us :D

The program is now final and appears right here. (Thanks, Slappy, for the "sticky status").

We already have 6 FJRForum members signed up, plus yours truly.

My Italian FJR contingent will probably confirm 4 weeks before the departure date (faithful to this endearing national custom :rolleyes: ) but the good news is we already have "critical mass" for a load of fun.

I promise you, if we only turn out to be 8 or 10 bikes we're gonna have a ball without logistic headaches.

Stef