Hi there, I need help and am new

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRKapoots

Reaction score
Hi there, I am new to the forums.

I dont know how to not make a long story short but basically, my grandma fell and broke her hip recently and Ive been staying with her at the rehabs at night because she has dementia and doesnt sleep otherwise, I have a big project at school that Ive been not able to focus on because of lack of sleep, my phone battery expanded and now doesnt hold charge and now my only form of transportation(other than a bicycle) my 2006 FJR wouldnt start after I stopped to talk to a neighbor and left the key in the on position.

I bought a new battery to see if it was that but the new battery wont even start it. It wont turn over. I have no way of taking my bike into a shop and am a giant ball of stress right now. I need a vehicle asap and have little funds and was wondering if I could possibly sell my bike parts to try and make money? If it is engine failure, which I imagine it is because I sat there pressing the electric start and it wont turn over it just makes the sound like its trying, anyways, if it is engine failure, would anyone know if I can make back some money selling parts? Would it be worth it to try? I dont know how hard that would even be and if theres a market for old FJR parts or if its worth trying when I dont have a ton of mechanical experience. The gas tank itself has a dent in it because the kid pushing the shopping carts at walmart bumped into it and so I imagine a gas tank with a dent wont sell for much.

Im sorry that this is my introduction post but I thought someone on here might be able to steer me in the right direction possibly.

Thank you all

You're in the right place to get help. Stress does complicate things and all of us have been where you are (maybe not the exact circumstances). Take a breath, then explain exactly what's going on, check back often, and help will be right at your finger tips. Good luck.

You are not being clear. When you turn press the start button, does the starter operate and turn over the engine, but it just wont start? Or, the starter and motor aren't even turning?

Don't jump to conclusions. It's probably something simple.
Hi there and thankyou for responding!

I press the starter and it makes the sound like its trying to start but never gets ignition. Just the chug uh chug uh chug chug uh without the Vroom!!!

I know thats a very childish way of explaining it but thats best I can put it.

People are here that can help walk you through a diagnosis and possible DIY fix.

Beyond that, look in the for-sales, keep offers and conversations in public (in the threads), and don't try to pull people into private email conversations.

Good luck.
I honestly didnt consider even asking for help in diagnosing it. I really dont know where to start. Can I post videos on here? I returned the battery but can always go back and get another one if I have to. I just dont want to spend $100 for a battery and then find out its a bad engine.

Thank you for the tips and help.

You're in the right place to get help. Stress does complicate things and all of us have been where you are (maybe not the exact circumstances). Take a breath, then explain exactly what's going on, check back often, and help will be right at your finger tips. Good luck.
Stress is the worst. I went excercising and it helped get mind off it. Plus the fact its sunday now and I can only do so ,uch on the weekend that I know of. I hope so. I will look on the forum for help. Thank you for your kind words and advice. Its hard sometimes in the moment to not lose hope.

Good chance that it is just flooded. Usually happens if the engine is started and shut down before it has had a chance to warm up fully.

Remedy is to start with a fresh fully charged battery
Crank the engine with Wide Open Throttle. Try for 15-20 seconds. If it doesn't catch, let the starter cool for a few minutes and try again. It will often start and run rough and then catch properly.

I press the starter and it makes the sound like its trying to start but never gets ignition. Just the chug uh chug uh chug chug uh without the Vroom!!!
Thanks for the additional information. Your first post was extremely light on detail. Sounds like possible 'Fast Starter Syndrome' to me. I wrote a thread about it years ago....here. Or WOT like RossKean mentioned.

Sorry about not hosting videos here. We don't have the space given it's free membership. However, you can upload a video to Youtube and send a link here.

Good chance that it is just flooded. Usually happens if the engine is started and shut down before it has had a chance to warm up fully.

Remedy is to start with a fresh fully charged battery
Crank the engine with Wide Open Throttle. Try for 15-20 seconds. If it doesn't catch, let the starter cool for a few minutes and try again. It will often start and run rough and then catch properly.
Just to be clear - "fresh" doesn't necessarily mean NEW. Just a fully-charged battery is fine to start with. If it runs down pretty quickly and the bike still doesn't start, maybe you do need a new one. But don't buy a new one yet, maybe you don't have to. Just find someone with a charger for yours. If you tell us where you are, there may be a member close by who can loan you a charger?

I had that mysterious Fast Starter Syndrome happen too and it was a real WTF moment--it was exactly as RossKean described. Started it after several days of sitting idle and for whatever reason I shut it down within seconds--might have even been by accident, I don't remember. By now you've had a chance to try it, so let us know. I hate a thread that leaves a mystery hanging. Just open the throttle all the way and crank the starter till something good happens. Try again in a bit if you must. Keep the battery charged up if it doesn't work right away. But LET US KNOW.