High Altitude Sickmess

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big-D

Reaction score
I have a '08 with about 25k miles. It has run perfectly until I noticed in Taos during the SW-FOG, my idle, which usually runs right at 1100 rpm, dropped to about 900 rpm and during takeoff, applying little throttle, it wanted to die. I figured it was a dirty air cleaner or bad gas. After a couple refills, the problem still happened. After the SW-FOG was over, I headed home to Havasu (elevation 230ft), once I hit Albuquerque (elevation about the same as Denver 5200'), the bike once again ran flawlessly. No hesitation, no hiccups.

Last week while riding out to Death Valley we took a run up another mountain (can't seem to remember the name), but reached an altitude of about 6500'+ and the FJR started acting up again. Doesn't want to idle at higher altitude. Has good fuel and a new air cleaner.

I am not sure which sensor controls the fuel/ air mixture as you climb in elevation, but something is wrong. The problem is more of a nuisance than anything else.

Any ideas??

Dan, I would send a private message to ionbeam, Fred W, Haulin' Ashe, Bustanut joker and RadioHowie ASAP! Alan, Fred and Jeff can help you correct your FJR's high altitude sickness. I only mentioned Bust and Howie so that you can tell them to go fuck themselves!

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a high altitude problem with the ECU on the 06 & 07 models which was described at some length on the forum:

High Altitude Fix

Given your bike is an 08 the ECU should not be the problem but cannot be ruled out at this point. If your bike was early in the production run you may have one of the faulty ECU's.

The other possibility is a faulty O2 sensor. You can find some info about O2 Sensors here:

O2 Sensor Testing

That is two areas for you to check given the reported symptoms. Unfortunately you did not mention if you saw any error codes when the problem occured.

I hope some of this info helps.

Dan, I would send a private message to ionbeam, Fred W, Haulin' Ashe, Bustanut joker and RadioHowie ASAP! Alan, Fred and Jeff can help you correct your FJR's high altitude sickness. I only mentioned Bust and Howie so that you can tell them to go fuck themselves!
Senility is TRULY an ugly thing to witness. :nono:

Senility is TRULY an ugly thing to witness. :nono:
It's even worse to experience. What were we talking about again ?? :(

If you key off when it acts up, then key on and restart did it run OK or still bad ?

May want to check the MAP sensor. You can do it threw the diag screen.

After getting some coaching from Roadrunner, I performed a diagnostic using the bike internal diagnostic ability along with the service manual. I did pick up an error d01: error 16 (Stuck Throttle Position Sensor detected)

But also on the d03: 96 (this number should have changed during a start-up attempt, but it didn't) Because this is the Atmospheric Pressure Sensor or(Intake Air Pressure), it makes sense that riding in higher elevations would be effected if this particular sensor was bad.

Anyone have any advice, either through knowledge or experience, would be appreciated!

Looking over the cost of the sensors installed on the FJR, if someone needed to replace all of them, it would be cheaper to simply buy another bike.

After getting some coaching from Roadrunner, I performed a diagnostic using the bike internal diagnostic ability along with the service manual. I did pick up an error d01: error 16 (Stuck Throttle Position Sensor detected)

But also on the d03: 96 (this number should have changed during a start-up attempt, but it didn't) Because this is the Atmospheric Pressure Sensor or(Intake Air Pressure), it makes sense that riding in higher elevations would be effected if this particular sensor was bad.

Anyone have any advice, either through knowledge or experience, would be appreciated!

Looking over the cost of the sensors installed on the FJR, if someone needed to replace all of them, it would be cheaper to simply buy another bike.
I think the #16 while in d:01 is the TPS count @ close throttle ( which is what it should be).

The MAP # not changing while cranking, while in d:03 is a concern. But doesn't mean the sensor is bad. Need to further daig.

PM sent.

I feel it's possible, not likely, but possible that someone slipped an Altitude Sickness ECU into this bike. I'd start by having Yamaha verify the serial# of the ECU against the bike VIN.

The symptoms sound MUCH like the classic altitude sickness syndrome caused by the ECU not reading altitude changes when the throttle position is not significantly changed for long periods of time. Good test is next time it exhibits the condition, either whack the throttle WFO for a few seconds or pop it in neutral, kill the ignition, and do a quick (rolling if you want to) re-start. If she straightens right out then you are definitely dealing with what should be a recall ECU, whether or not Yamaha says so.

I've seen hard evidence that Yami makes "undocumented" ECU changes within year models. Or at least their ECU supplier does.