High Mileage Bike Trade/Sell?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All I can say is I'm a patient person with money to spend and keeping my eyes peeled right now for a fjr and Yes I know they will probably last over 100000 miles but I will not consider a bike with 10000+ thousand miles and I know newer trucks will also go 200000 but I wont but a truck with over 15000 - 20000 because I like newer feeling machines they just feel tight. not loose and worn.

with this being said Im not a automatic clutch kinda guy but why do I see so many AE'S with extremely low miles??? like a 7 year old bike with 5000 miles?

Last edited by a moderator:
That bike OWES you 200k...Make it pay!!!

Mine owes me 248k. I figure I paid $4800 back in '09 with 8k on it, so here is the equation:

Price X .50 + original miles= Expected life

So some of you have many more miles to go!
So your bike owe you $4800 x .50 + 8000 = 10,400 miles. Damn it could have died happy years ago!

Even if you meant $.50/mile (2-miles/dollar), that is a mere 20K miles. You and I have both been riding free for a while. Anyway, something about this new math is confusing to me.

I think you are looking for $0.0202 (2-cents) per mile x 237600 miles = $4800 + 10,400 miles = 200,000 miles for $4800.

Yep, that works, now I feel like Fred.
fool.gif
Fat fingers/bad eyes/80 hour work week/IPhone/short break… I am claiming them all on that mistake!
fool.gif

I meant price X 50 + original miles In my case $4800 X 50 + 8000 = 248k 50 miles per $1

My bike owes me 3 more 10/10ths and some change… and …

For you "Purchased New" riders… do the math, you all have like 700k to ride!

To the OP, I plan on retiring my bike after doing a Haul Road 1000 Gold THW

All I can say is I'm a patient person with money to spend and keeping my eyes peeled right now for a fjr and Yes I know they will probably last over 100000 miles but I will not consider a bike with 10000+ thousand miles and I know newer trucks will also go 200000 but I wont but a truck with over 15000 - 20000 because I like newer feeling machines they just feel tight. not loose and worn.with this being said Im not a automatic clutch kinda guy but why do I see so many AE'S with extremely low miles??? like a 7 year old bike with 5000 miles?
Just buy a new one if you won't take anything with over 10,000 miles.

The FJR will go 200,000 with reliability, with some getting much closer to 400,000.

I personally wouldn't consider buying a used bike with less than 15,000 miles on it, but that's just me.

Off road desert bike, or back woods trail bike. All the way, good set DS tires, little suspension work and have fun with the FJR-S10. Well that's what I'd do. With as much pleasure as that bike has given you and the gallons of gas you have saved. You are so far ahead of the game its a win at any price for you.

It's too bad you don't have good access to shipping to the U.S. The motorcyle parts business is very lucrative. I would part it out and sell what you can. I took a wrecked BMW R1100 RT with 130,000 miles on it and sold what was left of it and made back the $4000 that it was worth prior to my accident. And that was 10 years ago. The only down side was all the time and effort to advertise, package and trips to the post office. But there is much more money to be made than you would think.

I would just keep it. Use it in the winter months when the days a nice, but the roads are salty. But the best deal would make it a loaner bike. FJR members with limited vacation time fly to NB. You pick them up, put them up in your guest room.

They have a FJR to explore NB. NS, P.E.I., jump the ferry to Newfoundland. WOW, I like this idea.. forum members would be responsible for there own meals and fuel
rolleyes.gif
. And you are everyone best friend..

Smitty
punk.gif

This idea would take a while to put together! What about creating a pool of used FJR's and offer them for "Rent" to out of country or town visitors? You offer your highmileage bike to the pool and if it could be arranged stored in a central location? The pool and whoever is managing it get some of the proceeds and the donor gets his or her percentage and the visitor gets to ride the best bike in the world! I'm sure this is fraut with problems, insurance, breakdown and maintenance but it sort of pays it forward! Just an idea anyway!

There are a lot of legal and financial concerns on vehicle leasing/renting. Sewing those up for liability reasons is usually more hassle than the "average" owner wants to mess with. It would seem better for the "business" to buy these bikes and use them as their lease/rental pool since it would be able to establish these issues one time for the whole pool than over and over again for individual owners.

The problem with putting a 10,000 mile cap on a used FJR is that few owners are selling 4 to 6 month old bikes. It's simply not financially feasible.

Or...

...people could just keep their old FJRs in their own garage and lend them out to FJR peeps that they have ridden with and know are stand up people. Sometimes, its just better to keep things private.

It pays to go to FJR meets and get to know some of the best people around. I've had people be very generous with me on this and other board. But, you have to meet them get to know them first. Usually.

I have no intention of keeping it in case a visitor wants to go for a ride - I have neither the space for it nor the desire to pay for annual registration and insurance. I have no illusion that I would ever ride it (on nasty days) if I had a brand new FJR in the stable. If it is still working OK when I'm done with it, I will gift it to someone who needs a bike or sell it for some small amount of money.

I still say retire your FJR after doing the Haul Road SS1k. I plan on defarkling mine prior, including swapping out the Penske & AK-20 cart.

Then run her hard and put her down to rest.

I'm gonna take the engine out and make one helluva fast caged off road well suspended 4 wheeler. think of the possibilities. wood splitters. swamp boats. generators.

Every bike has a buyer at the right price. The price might not be right for you as the seller, but the value is well above zero, and less than the wholesale book. We have seen some high mileage IBR bikes come up on the forum, and they eventually sell, and the new owner is usually happy and amazed at the bike. Beemerdon found a home for his Miss Lucy Liu with Bgross in southern CA. That bike was very loved and in need of a lot of work and suspension, but it was a great story of re-homing.
Another idea would be to keep it as a ride for visiting friends. You live pretty far out.
guess that means mine with a transplanted engine and a bazillion miles aint worth 10k? :whistle:

I'm gonna take the engine out and make one helluva fast caged off road well suspended 4 wheeler. think of the possibilities. wood splitters. swamp boats. generators.
Every bike has a buyer at the right price. The price might not be right for you as the seller, but the value is well above zero, and less than the wholesale book. We have seen some high mileage IBR bikes come up on the forum, and they eventually sell, and the new owner is usually happy and amazed at the bike. Beemerdon found a home for his Miss Lucy Liu with Bgross in southern CA. That bike was very loved and in need of a lot of work and suspension, but it was a great story of re-homing.
Another idea would be to keep it as a ride for visiting friends. You live pretty far out.
guess that means mine with a deer hit total, transplanted engine, Christmas tree wiring mods, boogers and a bazillion miles on dirt aint worth 10k?
whistle.gif
Fixed

I plan on riding mine til it won't go no more. I figure, with only 97k miles it should last another 7 years. Maybe by then I can save up enough to buy a low mile used one.

I'm sort of thinking it might end out as a gift to someone in need.

I gave an old Ninja 500 starter bike to a rider acquaintance's sister last year as her 1st bike.

Felt good about it until friends started saying I should have gotten xyz for it instead;

not could have, but should have. Sometimes the money aspect covers up sharing.

FJR: You'll have gotten good full use out of your bike - full value I wager. I applaud your thoughts.

You can sell nearly any bike if the price is right. There may come a time when you throw up your hands and give away rather than think about selling it for that low a price but if you do, it's money you threw away which is more than no money.

OR you could part it out and scrap the bits that don't sell.

I have no intention of keeping it in case a visitor wants to go for a ride - I have neither the space for it nor the desire to pay for annual registration and insurance. I have no illusion that I would ever ride it (on nasty days) if I had a brand new FJR in the stable. If it is still working OK when I'm done with it, I will gift it to someone who needs a bike or sell it for some small amount of money.
This is how I got mine.

At a time when I needed a better bike, a member here sold me his '05 with 88000 miles for a price so low it was part gift.

It is being put to good use :)