Hit the kill switch when stuck in traffic

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a site that discusses oil temperatures and oil/engine longevity:

https://www.elephantracing.com/techtopic/oiltemperature.htm

As temperature increases and viscosity drops the oil film layer gets progressively thinner. Eventually, metal irregularities begin to contact and we no longer have hydrodynamic lubrication.
Neither leaving it run nor shutting it off is a slam dunk, which is why I will continue to shut it down selectively. Only CA has lane-spliiting, so for the vast majority, that has no bearing, even if most of us might like to see it nationwide, all our bikes will be on the scrap heap before that happens. Yeah, there is a very slim possibility you could block an emergency vehicle... if you are deaf and blind, but I doubt there are many deaf and blind riders. Being rear-ended at a light is a distinct possibility, so discretion is recommended, but no one on the Internet assumes the possibility of others being rational beings. LOL

In the end it's a personal decision with some realistic plusses and some theoretical minuses. Suit yourself. If ever I wear down my battery or wear out my starter, I'll let everyone know. Thanks for the thoughtful replies!

A point to consider is that the charging system isn't running at peak output at idle. There is a chance of discharge in some cases if let idle long enough. Any electrical additions (including aux lights, heated gear, or even higher output headlight bulbs) can tip the system into discharge at idle.
In which case the one switch you shouldn't use is the kill switch, which will leave the electrical loads on (including headlights) with no charging at all.
Sorry for not continuing the throught... followed by turning off the ignition like anyone would after using the kill switch.

[it's a habit that i never do the first without following it with the second]

In the days of ignition points, I was taught to use the kill switch only in emergencies because if the points were closed and you used only the kill switch, you could burn the points if you also left the ignition on. So the kill switch was there only for when the bike went down; you could rapidly turn off the engine with just a swipe of your thumb. With today's electronic ignitions, I don't know if, other than draining the battery, any permanent harm can be done by turning off the kill switch and leaving the ignition on.

Anyone know?

Just the chance to kill your battery if the ignition is left on and you forget it for some time. No concern about burning out electrical stuff.

I'm sorry for misunderstanding the question. I always use the kill switch but never stop there because I also follow it by hitting the ignition switch too. It's a habit formed over the decades. The point being, I couldn't imagine anyone using "just" the kill switch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry for misunderstanding the question. I always use the kill switch but never stop there because I also follow it by hitting the ignition switch too. It's a habit formed over the decades. The point being, I couldn't imagine anyone using "just" the kill switch.
Maybe I misunderstood the OP's original question. I thought he was asking if there was a reason he shouldn't be turning off the kill switch during long waits. I don't see any mention of his turning off the ignition as well, so from this I gathered, perhaps erroneously, that he was turning off just the kill switch. Possible, as I'm wrong way more than I'm right.

But this brings up another question: If you're turning off the ignition, why turn off the kill switch too? Isn't that, um, overkill?

In the event of an emergency, you do as you train. The kill switch goes as reflex and kills the motor when it needs to happen as quickly as possible.

Muscle memory.

In the event of an emergency, you do as you train. The kill switch goes as reflex and kills the motor when it needs to happen as quickly as possible.
Muscle memory.
Me too. This thread is about people who are using the kill switch when stuck in traffic. I just can't get my head around that. To each his/her own.

In the days of ignition points, I was taught to use the kill switch only in emergencies because if the points were closed and you used only the kill switch, you could burn the points if you also left the ignition on. So the kill switch was there only for when the bike went down; you could rapidly turn off the engine with just a swipe of your thumb. With today's electronic ignitions, I don't know if, other than draining the battery, any permanent harm can be done by turning off the kill switch and leaving the ignition on.
Anyone know?
Uh, the reason the kill switch functions in a typical points system is that power to the points is cut off in this type of bike. In magneto ignitions, it shorts this circuit.

Many newer models of cars (e.g. first Honda Civic Hybrid) shut the engine off whenever you stop. Others (such as my Prius) start and stop the engine without any direct input from the driver. There is no apparent harm to the engines from this practice.

Anyone know?
Uh, the reason the kill switch functions in a typical points system is that power to the points is cut off in this type of bike. In magneto ignitions, it shorts this circuit.

Many newer models of cars (e.g. first Honda Civic Hybrid) shut the engine off whenever you stop. Others (such as my Prius) start and stop the engine without any direct input from the driver. There is no apparent harm to the engines from this practice.
This may be a distinciton without a difference, but I was taught that in a points/condenser system the kill switch cuts power to the coils. In any case, thanks for the clarificaiton. Lots of other misinformation in my head. I try to dole it out sparingly.

I got stuck in traffic, creeping for most of 2 hours, and almost motionless for the first half, last week. I guess I heat tested my fairly recent purchase, with it spending quite some time stewing. And, in spite of cool temps, I got my first glimpse of how warm that big engine can get when sitting in traffic. I can't wait until warmer weather. Trying to remember what it's like to go ride without a balaclava, insulated motor jacket, gauntlet gloves, and hockey pants.

Not in traffic, but I generally turn all my vehicles off with the key switch at railroad crossings. They are pretty common in my area and I have been stuck as long as 20 minutes. And as someone else said, even though the bike engine might be cool, the heat coming off of it is pretty hot.

Beary

Not in traffic, but I generally turn all my vehicles off with the key switch at railroad crossings. They are pretty common in my area and I have been stuck as long as 20 minutes. And as someone else said, even though the bike engine might be cool, the heat coming off of it is pretty hot.
Beary
Once a couple of cars stopped behind me, assuming an area where there's a bit of traffic, I'd shut the key off.

It's hard to prescribe any one-size-fits-all situation or conclusion, but there's not much good to be gained from long periods of idling. The new kill switch makes it easy. Perhaps the next FJR will shut itself down and restart automatically.