Holy Shit!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crumpadump

Reaction score
So the weather here in Indiana is perfect this weekend and I mean PERFECT, 70's and no humidity and no RAIN. My plan is to go see my uncle in Kentucky who knows how to find some killer twisties tomorrow (I even get it okayed buy the wife for once).

My thought is that it'd a be a good idea to change engine and final drive oil for the trip down, right? So I run up to my local Wally world to pick up some oil since I already have the filter sitten in the garage waitin to be used. I start my project pull engine drain plug then unscrew the filter and once all the oils out I put on the new filter on and screw in the plug with a new crusher washer...all good so far.

I move to the back tire to remove the plug for the final drive oil and this is where the shit hits the fan. THIS is when my dyslexia kicks into over drive...I'm thinking lefty tighty, righty LOOSIEEEEE!!!! oooohhhh FUCK I stripped the threads in the final drive case bad...very BAD....the plug will now spin and not tighten, oh yah and leak oil too.
banghead.gif

You know what they say "if you make something idiot proof, they'll just make a better idiot"....

Man I wish Bustanut lived near by...I know he couldn't fix the problem but I sure could use a drink...and a laugh!!!
drinks.gif

What are my cheapest alternatives people?

Last edited by a moderator:
That blows...when stuff is upside down / inside out or otherwise screwed up, I always use a ratchet to make sure I idiot proof it...LOL

Drill it out and repair with a thread insert. Use a heli-coil (or your favorite brand) and you'll have a permanent repair.

Good luck!

--G

You might find an oversize drain plug that works..... you thread it into your already stripped hole. Check at your local automotive supply, take the drain plug with you.

If you're uncomfortable with a threaded insert repair, take it off and give it to a local mom & pop machine shop. They'll be able to drill, tap, and put a helicoil in for you for I would think a reasonable amount, all while being able to keep most of the aluminum chips out. Afterwards, I'd do a couple of gear lube flushes to make sure nothing gets left behind in the gear case, and you should be good to go.

Oh, and buy a new drain plug.

Redneck engineering:

522.jpg

Stick the rubber plug in the hole, turn the screw and the plug expands to seal the hole. These come in thousands of configurations such as wing nuts and hex and socket cap screws. These are good enough that they can be used to repair rotted freeze plug holes in engine blocks where they withstand up to 20 PSI at 275º F. Search the internet for expanding rubber plugs and you will find them at many local shops and specialty stores.

If you're uncomfortable with a threaded insert repair, take it off and give it to a local mom & pop machine shop. They'll be able to drill, tap, and put a helicoil in for you for I would think a reasonable amount, all while being able to keep most of the aluminum chips out. Afterwards, I'd do a couple of gear lube flushes to make sure nothing gets left behind in the gear case, and you should be good to go.
Oh, and buy a new drain plug.
+1000 if you didn't notice that it wasn't getting loose until after it stripped the threads, then take it to some professionals to install a helicoil. Then, even if you THINK backward, it's still easy to remember... if it ain't coming loose, stop-back away-rethink it, don't force it.

The final drive is critical. Avoid cheap assed jiggery-pokery solutions. Do it right.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll be removing the final drive today then Monday checking around town to see who can install a time-sert (it looks like a little better fix over the helicoil). I'll start with the local yamaha dealer then look for a machine shop if the dealer doesn't have enough experience or show confidence. I'll let you know how things turn out.

I would avoid the dealer and find a machine shop. The experience of a machinist versus a Dealer is a no brainer. They are gonna want to sell you a FD. Ypu could buy a hand tap and a cert and do it yourself. No way I would pick a dealer over a machinist.

That totally blows......

john_stewart_facepalm.gif

But not the end of the world, you'll have her back in operation in no time.... and with a lesson learned ---- you'll never do that again... :)

Before going to all that trouble it would be easier to slap a Harley-Davidson sticker on it and let it sit there the way it is dripping oil...

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll be removing the final drive today then Monday checking around town to see who can install a time-sert (it looks like a 1,000,000 times better fix over the helicoil). I'll start with the local yamaha dealer then look for a machine shop if the dealer doesn't have enough experience or show confidence. I'll let you know how things turn out.
Fixed it for ya!!!