Home safe thread - SFO 2012

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GPRIDER

Reaction score
Ok all you numbnut FJR riders. Post up on your safe arrival. Yeah we give a damn, so let everyone you met this weekend know you got home safe. And Cornbread, you need to get on the forum and be a member.

GP

Last edited by a moderator:
Made it home safe and sound. Did about 650m in the twisties Friday and Saturday, with some great riders. :assassin:

Home safe and sound. I've even had time to change engine and rear drive oil. I had a great time romping through some great roads. Time for tire shopping :)

Made it home with no incidents. Little light rain in the morning turning to fairly warm by afternoon. Had a great time!

Nearly clipped a deer north of Harrison. Caught in a bit of a monsoon in Springfield. The rest of the ride home was thankfully uneventful.

Fun two days of riding.

Got home about 5:15 after 660 miles. A few more forest rats tried to mess with me on the way out of Arkansas on 412, but I escaped. Had a great time riding with other feejers. Thanks Patriot for setting this up. See some of you guys in a couple of weeks in Castlegar, eh?

Home safe at 5:45. Left the Hub at 6:00 and got only a little rain on the way out. What's an SFO without a little rain? :rolleyes:

Yes. What is a little rain at SFO. It was almost surreal not having any during the event. I'm on vacation so I'm still headed east. Stopped at Old Pilot's house on the way. Safe and sound in Clarksville, Tenn. Rain forecast for tomorrow all day. Yuck. :angry2: So there's just 8 out of 20 plus back home? Come on, let us know you got back ok.

GP

Yes. What is a little rain at SFO. It was almost surreal not having any during the event. I'm on vacation so I'm still headed east. Stopped at Old Pilot's house on the way. Safe and sound in Clarksville, Tenn. Rain forecast for tomorrow all day. Yuck. :angry2: So there's just 8 out of 20 plus back home? Come on, let us know you got back ok.

GP
Funny, I'm stopped for the night in Clarksville, TN too, lol. But I'm sleeping in my truck. Gotta work. ;)

Judging by FJRBandit's SPOT he made it home.

Yep - the Bandit made it home, but immediately had honey "dues" to pay, including repairing a garage door that jumped track and replacing the filler tube in a toilet, both that began acting up while I was away... Welcome home honey!

It was a rather eventful departure from Marble Falls. Turning left/South on 7 out of The Hub my oil light came on. :huh: Pulled over in the construction area and threw it on the center stand - no oil showing in the sight glass. WTF is this??? Dropped it back down with plans to return to The Hub but the light went off. Decided to head to Jasper and buy some oil and top her off. Light didn't come back on the dash, but it did in the sky! All of the sudden it was like I was dodging cloud to ground lighting and the sky opened up. :eek: So I pulled over, donned the rain gear and headed on to Jasper. Pulled over there and checked the radar on the phone. Damn if I wasn't right slap in the middle of this. Contemplated going back to The Hub again. But it was just as far back as it was to push on thru this sh*t. If I had decided to wait it out in Jasper it appeared to be about two hours before it would clear. So I decided to push on. Of course my boots filled with water draining off the Frogg Toggs, but finally drove out of the storm about 20 minutes later. That was the last of the rain and made it to Russelville in about three hours. Now it was sunny and 88 degrees... Smoked on down to Hot Springs and decided to bail on my excursion to Louisiana. I hit the Go Home button on the Garmin. Made it home safe around 7 pm / 11 hours 620 miles - no more oil light, but it does need to be topped off. Not sure what that's about...

Had a great time, seeing old friends and making a few new ones. See ya'll next year, if not sooner.

Yep - the Bandit made it home, but immediately had honey "dues" to pay, including repairing a garage door that jumped track and replacing the filler tube in a toilet, both that began acting up while I was away... Welcome home honey!

It was a rather eventful departure from Marble Falls. Turning left/South on 7 out of The Hub my oil light came on. :huh: Pulled over in the construction area and threw it on the center stand - no oil showing in the sight glass. WTF is this??? Dropped it back down with plans to return to The Hub but the light went off. Decided to head to Jasper and buy some oil and top her off. Light didn't come back on the dash, but it did in the sky! All of the sudden it was like I was dodging cloud to ground lighting and the sky opened up. :eek: So I pulled over, donned the rain gear and headed on to Jasper. Pulled over there and checked the radar on the phone. Damn if I wasn't right slap in the middle of this. Contemplated going back to The Hub again. But it was just as far back as it was to push on thru this sh*t. If I had decided to wait it out in Jasper it appeared to be about two hours before it would clear. So I decided to push on. Of course my boots filled with water draining off the Frogg Toggs, but finally drove out of the storm about 20 minutes later. That was the last of the rain and made it to Russelville in about three hours. Now it was sunny and 88 degrees... Smoked on down to Hot Springs and decided to bail on my excursion to Louisiana. I hit the Go Home button on the Garmin. Made it home safe around 7 pm / 11 hours 620 miles - no more oil light, but it does need to be topped off. Not sure what that's about...

Had a great time, seeing old friends and making a few new ones. See ya'll next year, if not sooner.
Glad you made it back ok Turk. That sounds like a very eventful start back. Wierd stuff about the oil. WTF. Better get it checked out.

Got home to SC (785 miles in 13-1/2 hours) with a little rain near Tupelo, great riding in AR for a change, but the Hub suckes.

Left The Hub at 6 am and home at 6 pm Sunday after 615 miles of riding. Only rain was the five minutes of it in the Hub parking lot before we left so five miles from the Hub we stopped and took the rain suits off and headed south!

The morning temps were great but once we got into Texas at 11 am it was 93 degrees so it was a warm afternoon of riding.

Five days and 1630 miles of great riding on the FJR. What a machine.

It's time for a new back tire though.

And thanks to Patriot for organizing it and all those great door prizes!! I still can't believe I won the Grand Prize!!

Mike da Patriot left da Hub around 0630 with Miles da FJR_Mississippi and headed south. No more than a few drops of moisture and made great time all the way down 65 to Conway with few necessary slowdowns. Waffle House "All Star Special" would be the only full meal on the road and hit the interstate to Little Rock, then a long stretch of65 to Vicksburg to Jackson and rest south I-55. I was 90F with full blown humidity from 11am on.

535miles home and pulled Isabella into the hanger at 1700 (5pm).

Total for the trip was 1585mi with smiles all the way. But I'm troubled I just couldn't find where to print out the schedule of activities and meals, the contact info for the caterers, and I lost the raffle tickets. I did put my attractive, expensive name tag with all the other Forum Rallys of the past.

If only I had remembered to bring one of those blank high viz t-shirts and with Sharpie write across the front and back...

"OFFICIAL SFO 2012 Rally Shirt" with kilroy peaking over the wall wearing a helmet...my best ideas are usually a day late !!!

Thanx everyone...I think this flavor of Rally might just catch on. It would seem a repeat next year might be in order.

Am I correct that there were no "incidents" of stratched paint or gear...I didn't hear of any, which is what we all want.

let's keep riding safe and being careful out there,

Mike

in Nawlins'

:yahoo:

...no more oil light, but it does need to be topped off. Not sure what that's about...
I had that happen out in Kali last May after some high RPM days with engine braking in the curves.

I think there has been some recent discussion on it in the technical section with no definitive word on cause I think?

Oh...and where are all the photos?? :clapping:

...no more oil light, but it does need to be topped off. Not sure what that's about...
I had that happen out in Kali last May after some high RPM days with engine braking in the curves.

I think there has been some recent discussion on it in the technical section with no definitive word on cause I think?

Thanks for the heads up Wheatie. I kept a close eye on it at each of my stops on the way home and there was oil peaking over the sight gauge. The light never came back on. Checked it again when I got home and it is definitely low. Could very well be what you mentioned and I'll take a peek at the tech section.

Also, I'd like to add my public thanks to Mike for taking the initiative and putting this together. The "laid back" approach was well received by everyone that I spoke with, without exception.

As for The Hub, it is what it is. And what it is is a place that two of the nicest people in the world have sunk their heart and soul into for the last seven years. Randal and Debbie could not have been nicer to us and of course there can be no mention of The Hub without mentioning Happy, the four legged friend of all, especially those who had treats. The "W" it's not, but our room was clean, we had fresh towels every day and a relatively comfortable bed. The price was RIGHT and I think once Randal and Debbie begin turning a profit you'll see them start to put some money back into the place to freshen things up a bit. I wish them all the best and hope they can realize their goal of making The Hub a true destination as Mid- America's Motorcycle Resort. Disclaimer: This is not a paid advertisement and I have no financial interest in the property :p

See y'all next year in the Ozarks!