Homemade Hydration System

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the PM thread I have going, I had to go out and look to see what the brand was for the jugs I use. They are Rubbermade. A simple search for "1 Gallon Rubbermade" and looking at images popped up the right one from my web page pretty quickly. Clicking on the "show original page" got me to here.

https://www.amazonsupply.com/rubbermaid-1-gallon-water-jug-red/dp/B001TPZ1W2

Last edited by a moderator:
I have tried the cooler that Bounce shows in his thread above. Just FYI it didn't work in the Aero Comp bag. It's not the same cooler as Bounce has in his How to guide. The Rubbermaid cooler he uses is the same width top to bottom. The one he just linked is skinny lid with a fat bottom. lol. Still searching.

Went back out and did some closer looking. Got this additional info.

Rubbermaid, Made in U.S.A.

5.75" across the top of the lid. 5.25" across the bottom of the jug. The bottom has a mfgr date stamp of 6/03 and the 2 identifiers 154A and CAV 1.

I think I have tried most 1 gallon insulated coolers by now. I tried the Igloo at Bass Pro today and it's to tall to fit in the Aero Comp bag. I think since the 1/2 gallons fit so well I may just go that route. Not sure I need 2 gallons of water anyways. I don't even think I would drink 1 gallon between fuel fillups so the 1/2 gallons may just work for me. In the meantime I can keep searching and if I ever find one I can relook at my setup. No big deals....

I used a Camelback bladder (no cover) laid out in a tank bag in front of me. I just curl the tubing up in the outermost pocket of the tank bag so its easily available.

On one of my trips, when I grabbed the tube to drink...funny thing happened....the wind blew my faceshield down on the tube, pinning the tube in the perfect position just inside the faceshield and instantly available for a cool one:)!....just left it there for the trip

FJokeR07

Randy

I tried that for a summer. The water simply got too hot and even a Platipus bladder wasn't enough for tank-to-tank hydration in supra-100 degree temps.