Horn Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captaincautious

Reaction score
Just got this new bike and I gotta have another horn. I can say beep beep louder than these things. I have read some of the previous discussions about this subject and am trying to avoid re-wiring to prevent overload of the switch/wiring etc. as some of you have mentioned. My question is; if only one of the two horns is replaced as opposed to both would this be less risky on wiring and switch and allow me to avoid the wiring harness etc. I owned a gsxr and was also unhappy with it's single horn. Went to O'Reilly's and bought I believe a "low tone" auto horn and it was tremendously improved over stock with no problems. For that matter could I disconnect both stock horns and just ad one car horn? Electrical things are not my strong suit. Thanks

try looking at this thread. Read the entire thread before deciding which is what you want.

Yes, yes, it's time consuming... yes, yes it would be easier if someone just answered your thread with exactly what you wanted to know... no more nor no less... Let us know where you can go and have that happen please ;)

All the information is already here... you just have to search :)

Read this form Warchild at FJRTech.com Magnum blaster horn installtion. Will work for any horn. I've done this twice now on my two Feej's.

BTW - They are awesome and cheap! :yahoo: Sounds like a Ferarri horn blasting, people take notice.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cheated. I removed one stock horn, added a high pitch to one side from Advanced Auto, disconnected the other stock horn and didn't add a relay like most others. The amp draw for the high pitch wasn't much different from two stock horns, so not concerned about damaging the horn switch and it's loud enough for me.

I went with the PIAA 500/600's Found HERE

Direct bolt on replacement to the existing, and does not require an additional relay. I'm very happy with them.

Me too.

took me 10 minutes. plug and play. no relay.

money VERY well spent.

what year is your bike?

from what i gather, some years are a slightly better plug and play with regard to wire length and underfairing space.

any horn is a worthy upgrade and there are plenty of options that do not require a relay...

I wrote a thread on stebel air horn I mounted. Contrary to what some said on this site I bought a stebel plus wiring kit on amazon about 60 total and mounted in front of MC hidden. It is directly between the two stock horns that I removed. I have had this set up for months and many miles and zero issues. I used a bolt that was already in frame at that location I simply removed it and put longer bolt in. My thread has pics and No rubs on anything and No it has not come loose since mounted. Also I live in Colorado springs we have a lot of rain run offs in roadway here so in town suspension takes a beating and No horn has not hit front fender. See thread for 60 bucks you can have very loud horn and not hard to install requires no separation of horn from compressor like some have done. Plus no one will see horn unless they get down on one knee to look for it.

FYI my MC is 2010 not sure on bolt hole on a different year model. But where I mounted is under headlight using bolt that was holding a piece of plastic in. The piece moved with forks so no worries that horn will get hit by forks. I did Not remove plastic I think it keeps dirty out from under lights just removed bolt used longer one and reused hole. Another member has similar set up but built a bracket to bend horn back further toward radiator using same bolt in frame. If your worried it will hit something under there you could always do that also.

I mounted a Wolo air horn, but took a different approach. The horn is mounted on the right passenger footrest bracket with collet spacers that make for a nice flush application that does not interfere with the pegs, seating position or aerodynamics of the bike (poking Patriot). I soldered a signal wire into the stock horns and left them connected, although you can't hear them over the air horn. The relay is mounted under the passenger pillon and triggers the horn, and provides a signal for the Clearwater Krista lights to go full power if the horn is applied. Everything is accessible and looks okay. So this is what it looks like:

horn003Medium.jpg

Mounting bracket closeup

horn002Medium.jpg

Just ordered a set of the Slimlines from Amazon. $55 delivered. We'll see how these guys work.

Direct bolt on replacement to the existing, and does not require an additional relay. I'm very happy with them.
So these plug into the stock horn harness? Are you certain that they don't need the relay? I have a pair of the Magnums on mine, and while they are nice and loud, I don't like using my own harness/relay... just adds complexity. If what you say is true, then I'll happily switch to the PIAAs.

So these plug into the stock horn harness? Are you certain that they don't need the relay? I have a pair of the Magnums on mine, and while they are nice and loud, I don't like using my own harness/relay... just adds complexity. If what you say is true, then I'll happily switch to the PIAAs.
Yes that's correct. I have the 500 / 600 and installed them about 6 months ago. Used the very top mounting position with some rubber grommets for the vibration (the lower mounting point has some rubber there for the OEM horns but these new horns hang down a bit low if using that position).

Also be aware that the OEM wires (on the left side of the bike, for me anyway) had to be worked out a bit to gain some additional length. I'd say it would be wiser to just add a little piece instead of risking damage... I haven't had that fairing off so don't know how much extra is in there... maybe I was just lucky.

If you follow the thread mentioned in the beginning, a few people have tested these and the draw is very little more then the OEM horns. And PIAA even states that a relay is not needed. Mine have been absolutely fine, and haven't read a report from anyone indicating failure. And they certainly are quite loud. I'd bet most everyone is happy with how loud they are. I've used them on a few occasions and they get the job done.

good luck with it.

Yes that's correct. I have the 500 / 600 and installed them about 6 months ago. Used the very top mounting position with some rubber grommets for the vibration (the lower mounting point has some rubber there for the OEM horns but these new horns hang down a bit low if using that position).

Also be aware that the OEM wires (on the left side of the bike, for me anyway) had to be worked out a bit to gain some additional length. I'd say it would be wiser to just add a little piece instead of risking damage... I haven't had that fairing off so don't know how much extra is in there... maybe I was just lucky.

If you follow the thread mentioned in the beginning, a few people have tested these and the draw is very little more then the OEM horns. And PIAA even states that a relay is not needed. Mine have been absolutely fine, and haven't read a report from anyone indicating failure. And they certainly are quite loud. I'd bet most everyone is happy with how loud they are. I've used them on a few occasions and they get the job done.

good luck with it.
Correct, No relay required. The draw is about the same. I've had them on for 18 months or so without issue.

A little extra wire play would have been nice but not required (on my install).

Installed the Piaas. Wow, what a difference these made over stock. Not enough wire as some have stated. I went to Radio Shack and got two packs of male and female connectors along with some wire and extended length of wires approx. 6 inches or so and went on fairly easy from there. These were definitely worth the money and feeling of security when riding in traffic as opposed to stock. Simple changes like these really shouldn't have to be made by riders. Manufacturers could easily upgrade these from the onset without incurring little or nothing in additional expense at assembly to begin with.

try looking at this thread. Read the entire thread before deciding which is what you want.

Yes, yes, it's time consuming... yes, yes it would be easier if someone just answered your thread with exactly what you wanted to know... no more nor no less... Let us know where you can go and have that happen please ;)

All the information is already here... you just have to search :)
Harsh.