How about a saftey tip from each member?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you enter a parking lot and see this bike, park next to it at your own peril! :lol:

IMG_2466.jpg

Sorry Art, couldn't resist that one. Next beer's are on me. ;)

Alot of bike fatalaties are the result of rear-enders at lights.
Actually, only 3% of all bike fatalities come from behind and that includes "while in motion" fatalities. Even so, keep an eye on your "six".

I can't leave it at one safety topic, so I'll give two!

1 - Take an MSF course (Basic or Experienced Rider Course) you'll have a blast putting about 10 miles on your bike in 5 hours.

2- Read David L. Hough's (pronounced huff) "Proficient Motorcycling", "More Proficient Motorcycling" and his "Street Strategies" book. These are well written and full of very useful information. And don't discount the other great authors too.

Actually there is one more thing, Will England has an article entitled "The Invisible Rider" (https://will.mylanders.com/outdoors/motorcycle/notes/read.pl?file=344), I would keep that in mind too.

Cheers

Alan Sh,

I figured I'd take some heat for my left lane comment but trust me. ( US only 3,4,5,and 6 + lane highways ). I travel these during rush hours everyday on the Feej and the right lane is the absolute worse place to be.

For 2 lane highways in the US ( 2 lanes in each direction, usually separated by a fairly wide grass median) and nearly everywhere else I totally agree with you. People who frequent the 2 lanes seem to know how to use them and keep traffic moving- except in Iowa !

Even then I still hit the left lane just before on-ramps then move back once I'm around any merging traffic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get plenty of sleep before long rides.

Get rest as often as you need it during rides.

Stay hydrated.

Avoid blind spots of all vehicles. Trucks are bad cuz they have HUGE blind spots. Cars are bad for this cuz the drivers don't do a "head check". I see FAR to many motorcycles hanging out in another vehicle's blind spot.

And +1 on the MSF courses.

Consume no drinks containing alcohol before or during the time you will be operating your two-wheeled vehicle... :angry2:

Trust your spidey sense. If something is telling you to slow down, look around, check your six, etc., do it. Last three spidey sense moments for me avoided a ticket, a deer, and an SUV coming at me in my lane around a blind corner.

+1 on electric fence. Also, don't tug on Superman's cape, spit into the wind, or mess around with Jim.

When approaching a cage that is about to merge into the road you're on, don't watch the person driving to see if they see you... watch their tires. If the hubcaps are turning, the car is moving (unless they have spinners...).

Carry some sort of tire plugging equipment with you and know how to use it. You don't want to be doing something like that for the first time in the middle of the night in some god-forsaken middle-of-nowhere spot like Winnemucca, Nevada.... or so I've heard. ;)

When you go out to ride ALWAYS assume that cagers WILL NOT see you. :eek:mg2: It's saved my "bacon" a few times.

Tom

Any time you want to use the front brake think of the front wheel to keep it from going out from under you. Is it turned, what surface, etc....

More importantly: Don't fry bacon naked!! :lol:

assume that the shitload of junk in the bed of the pickup truck and/or on the flatbed ahead of you will fall out in your path, and plan accordingly; i.e. give them space, back off, or change lane positions...

Our safety tip: Learn how to better maneuver your motorcycle at slow speeds.

Lots of parking lot practice for handling low speeds, U-turns, and learning to use your friction zone. The friction zone is the area of the clutch between completely open and completely closed. One of the best things my wife and I do is head to a retail store parking lot once a month on a Sunday morning when they’re closed. We practice on our low speeds and U-turns in the parking lot and work on improving our friction zone skills. We did this with our Honda cruisers and now with our FJR’s. Check out this web site called Ride Like A Pro. The web site has a lot of good information to offer and has some Practice Guides for setting up maneuvers in a parking lot. Check out the Motorman Articles on the left hand side of the web page. Even though you see all cruisers on this web site the information on this web site can be useful for everyone.

Ride Like A Pro Web Site Ride Like A Pro

Keep the shiny side up

HIS2006 and HER2006 :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Dead spot

To make sure that the driver sees you, you have to see his eyes in his mirrors, if you do not see them, move your in the dead spot ! :blink:

For the fence, flick the switch off before :rolleyes:

Keep three seconds between you and whoever you're following...not two, three, especially in a group ride. And in a group ride, don't ride "the stagger", move to the verge when oncoming traffic approaches, towards the center line when there is no oncoming traffic. Ride like this all the time, not just on a group ride.

On your novice track days keep a thousand seconds between you and whoever you're following because they will NOT brake when you expect them to, and somersaults on motorcycles hurt when you land on your head. It's astonishing how hard asphalt is. Make that a million seconds.