How do you keep your helmet fresh?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Afast03nNJ

Reaction score
I do take the interior out of my Nolan and wash it, smells nice and fresh when it's done. But what do you do to keep it smelling nice and fresh between washings? Do you wipe down the inner linings with anything? A shot of Fabreze perhaps or an air freshener in the closet you store your gear in?

I wish somebody would make an interior helmet cleaner/deodorizer for in between rides.

Taking it apart and cleaning it does take it's toll on the lining.

It's just about time to get a new interior for the Nolan again.

Anybody know of any products out there that really work?

I do take the interior out of my Nolan and wash it, smells nice and fresh when it's done. But what do you do to keep it smelling nice and fresh between washings? Do you wipe down the inner linings with anything? A shot of Fabreze perhaps or an air freshener in the closet you store your gear in?

I wish somebody would make an interior helmet cleaner/deodorizer for in between rides.

Taking it apart and cleaning it does take it's toll on the lining.

It's just about time to get a new interior for the Nolan again.

Anybody know of any products out there that really work?
I wear a do-rag anytime I put my Shoei Qwest on. The do-rag takes the sweat and oils instead of the helmet interior and is easily washable.

My helmet hasn't needed any cleaning at all.

Cheers,

_paul

Wear some sort of helmet liner made of synthetic material. Your problems will cease to exist.

+1 on the dryer sheet and a couple times a season I take the electricals out and run it through the dishwasher. Let it sit in the sun for a couple days to dry and it's like brand new.

Wheatie you are a bad man :D but the question needs answered :rolleyes:

For those of us that can't appreciate the flowery sunshine fresh oder of dryer sheets, try stuffing the helmet with yesterdays newspaper. absorbs the oder from the liner and leaves none of its own.

Also use newspaper to dry when I wash windows, leaves the glass streak free.

Newspaper not just for wrapping fish anymore.

I wear a helmet liner and wash it often. I also made a cotton bag from an old t-shirt and filled it with cedar chips that I shove in the helmet between rides. A couple times a year I wash the entire helmet in the sink with mild detergent and let it air dry.

:yahoo:Replacement Therapy! :yahoo:

I mean...er...uhm...REMEMBER that Wheatie started this.....

Iffen thems wimmens kin goe en by alla thems shews they gots in ther closet....we orta be abled tuh by sum moor helmets, rite!?!? :D

Why, yes, I am single and don't have the need to attend a focus meeting and household budget summit before purchasing motorcycle apparel. AND....yep, I've been told I have a bad attitude and it needs a serious adjustment....that line is looooong.

Seriously, there are several products avaiable. I have a small spray bottle I bought at a Honda dealer. I'd bet Rider Warehouse sells something.

OR...there's always the dryer sheet. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I tell you what I do. Every night when I get home my helmet goes on a boot warmer with a hemet attachment. It is made by PEET and they make glover warmer attachment. My boots go on a warmer and my helmet gets its own. Will not get hot enough to dry out the EPS foam but kills all the fungi and bacteria so no smell. It is great after a day of riding in 90+ weather on a Gen 1 to get up in the AM and your helmet is warm and dry. Even better when the temp drops. Just something to think about. https://www.peetshoedryer.com/