How to Raise Forks Slightly

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjcin

Reaction score
I have done a search here and gotten some great info. I am just slightly too short to be flat footed on my new bike. I really don't want to add new links to the shock, as that seems to create all kinds of side and centerstand concerns. It appears to me that the top of the forks are right up against the bottom of the handlebars. Do I need some sort of risers to be able to raise the forks? I only need 1/2 inch to be flatfooted. And yes the seat is in the lower position. Thanks Tim C

Risers would help, goggle some and look at the clearance.

HeiliBars has a plate that may go back further than the blocks.

Looks like the adjuster sticks up close to the bars.

I'd be willing to bet that a local shop would be willing to shave some of the padding out of the front of the seat to make it thinner. Most of the reach I lose seems to be from my legs being forced out a bit more than is comfortable at a stop. The other day I sat on the FJ09 which has a seat that's a good but higher up, but the seat is a lot thinner. Ended up with my feet about where I normally am on the FJR.

...the top of the forks are right up against the bottom of the handlebars.....I only need 1/2 inch to be flatfooted.
My Gen2 doesn't have a stock upper clamp so my perspective may be off. On your bike the OEM setup has the forks against the bottom of the handlebars, with the top of the fork tubes flush with the top of the triple clamp, OR you've already raised the forks to the bottom of the handlebars and still need another 1/2 inch?

Not precise measurements, but my bike, parked on the sidestand, with heavier springs installed, has a hair over 6 inches between the fender and the brake fitting bolt at the bottom of the lower clamp. The owner’s manual says 5.3 inches of travel on the forks.

Wondering, is it possible to raise the fork tubes so much (apparently over 15mm) that the fender, or worse, the tire, crashes into something on the bottom of the lower triple clamp during full compression?

Why do you want or need to be "flat-footed?" Do you mean both feet at the same time?? I cannot do that, and I've never dropped my bike because of it. I've done other stupid stuff where I dropped the bike, but not because I wasn't flat-footed. so long as you can get "flat-footed" on one side, and a good portion of your toes on the ground at the same time, there is no reason to screw with the ground clearance or handling to shave off .5 inches. Seriously...get a ruler...that is nothing that can't be made up for by adjusting the way you sit or handle your bike. .5 inches is nothing.

Just my opinion though...

'dactl said get some thicker soles. That ain't a bad idea. Russel seat raised me up enough to want just a bit more reach to the ground. Went boot shopping, found some with about a quarter-inch more sole. I ain't flat-footing both sides, but it was just enough to make me think it was just enough.

Thanks for all the input. I understand about the seat and my shoes, but I really would just like to know about raising my forks. If you have raised yours and they haven't hit your handlebars, I would like to know. Thanks, Tim C

It is possible to allow the forks to be above the upper triple tree and thereby lower the front-end. This can improve turn-in response up to a certain point, or can cause the bike to feel less stable if you go too far. Just loosen the upper and lower triple tree clamps and ensure the forks are equally above the clamp when you tighten. To be honest, it won't drop the height of the bike by much, but the relatively lower front-end height can make for some very responsive handling.

Customizing the seat by thinning the foam, and possibly removing some width where your legs drop to the pegs and ground, is really your best bet to be physically lower to be able to "flat-foot" the bike.

Longer dogbones will lower it a half inch,plus dropping the triple tree the same amount will symmetrically lower your bike.If you do both those things your bike will handle the same& lower it.

Last edited by a moderator: