Howdy - Tell me about my 2003

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't be too overly worried about scraping the highway pegs on the FJR, you really have to be very very aggressive to get them to scrape. I ride pretty darn aggressive and its very rare that I have touched them to pavement. I'm not saying it can't be done or doesn't but unless your a track/sportbike rider its rare you will see an issue.
I must be doin' sumthin' wrong cuz I drag thos pegs about everytime I'm out. Judging by our respective locations I bet I've got a LOT tighter curves to enjoy in my neck-o-the-woods!

And I would agree, pegs to pavement is nothing to worry about. They aren't the lean limit on my Bike. As long as I'm not running across grit or oil, and keep my big feet from draggin', the tire still has enough weight(on it) and bite to make that curve.
Yeah no question the roads around here aren't the smoothest or rider friendly with winter snow and ice heaving and shrinking it all the time. I am jealous of all you 12 month riders, bad enough I'm down to around 9 per year. Until I retire, this is my life....

I'm not going to say I don't scrape from time to time, far less now with the little lady on the back as when I was solo for well --- basically most of my adult life. I'm a bit more cautious to not put her life in danger, rather then not caring about just my own.

I'm going to predict that if fairytat is aware enough to play with the sparks from the VTX, she'll be more then capable of judging whats too far for her.

If this isn't her normal riding angle - I think she'll be just fine....
smile.png

https://youtu.be/-YAiXqOwkmE

Last edited by a moderator:
While you're waiting on a replacement seat, try working in a copious amount of neatsfoot oil or similar leather softener/conditioner, (assuming your Corbin is leather!) I did that with my second-hand Corbin, and it made a world of difference, as it allowed the seat to more easily conform to my butt.
For the tire pressure-checking issue: Next tire change, have a couple of these installed --
angled_valve_stem.jpg
My corbin isn't leather. It's the carbon fiber looking one. I'm fairly certain it isn't leather.

Yep, gonna have those installed!

I'm not going to say I don't scrape from time to time, far less now with the little lady on the back as when I was solo for well --- basically most of my adult life.

I'm a bit more cautious to not put her life in danger, rather then not caring about just my own.

I'm going to predict that if fairytat is aware enough to play with the sparks from the VTX, she'll be more then capable of judging whats too far for her.
I appreciate you not putting my life in danger! I've been riding all my life. At 46 I have a pretty good self preservation filter in place. Oh, I've done some stuff that I shouldn't have (most more than once) but I'm pretty good at keeping life and limb intact. My goals don't include scraping pegs on the FJR.

I've found that most people are riding bikes because it's cool. They don't really care if they have great skills or if they can do tricks (I'm not talking sportbike people here, just your average rider). Simply by the nature of the FJR I can run circles around most of them. If I thought I had something to prove I guess I would have bought a Harley.
no.gif
jester.gif
lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Your Corbin is a 'Canyon Dual-Sport', yes? If so, it is probably leather, with a black nylon weave laminate. Try rubbing a little leather conditioner in, and see what happens. If it seems to be absorbed, then it's leather.

From the Corbin site: "Canyon Dual Sport saddles and backrest include genuine leather seating in your choice of colors and styles. Leather seating breathes with your body to provide a more luxurious ride and will break in along with the foam shape to conform to your personalized fit. In the saddle shown here we used our Carbon-Fiber leather seating with coordinating Carbon-Fiber look vinyl side panels (using vinyl in the sides helps to support the foam shape and keep the saddle looking sharp.) For a custom touch we added a Ghost grey welt. Don't forget to take good care of your leather with a quality conditioner like our Saddle Cream..."

It could be an all-vinyl seat, but chances are it's leather.

Note also that Corbin's 'memory foam', takes quite a few miles of riding to shape itself to suit you. Although better than the stock seat, mine wasn't all that comfortable for the first couple of hundred miles.

Your Corbin is a 'Canyon Dual-Sport', yes? If so, it is probably leather, with a black nylon weave laminate. Try rubbing a little leather conditioner in, and see what happens. If it seems to be absorbed, then it's leather.
From the Corbin site: "Canyon Dual Sport saddles and backrest include genuine leather seating in your choice of colors and styles. Leather seating breathes with your body to provide a more luxurious ride and will break in along with the foam shape to conform to your personalized fit. In the saddle shown here we used our Carbon-Fiber leather seating with coordinating Carbon-Fiber look vinyl side panels (using vinyl in the sides helps to support the foam shape and keep the saddle looking sharp.) For a custom touch we added a Ghost grey welt. Don't forget to take good care of your leather with a quality conditioner like our Saddle Cream..."

It could be an all-vinyl seat, but chances are it's leather.

Note also that Corbin's 'memory foam', takes quite a few miles of riding to shape itself to suit you. Although better than the stock seat, mine wasn't all that comfortable for the first couple of hundred miles.
It actually looks like this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-FJR1300-CORBIN-CANYON-DUAL-SPORT-SADDLE-TWO-UP-SEAT-621139-/350821833995?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51ae9c5d0b&vxp=mtr

Come over to Maggie Valley, NC, this September and attend EOM (Eastern Owner's Meet). You'll see all manner of stuff to spend money you don't have! Don't ask me how I know...
I might have to so that! Only if I figure out the seat situation before then tho. I wouldn't do an all weekender with this Corbin. I wouldn't be able to walk upright for a week! 240 miles on it required a soak in the tub and lots of aleve.
Fairytat that made me laugh out loud!
lol.gif
haha.gif

If you do decide to go to EOM, my wife and I are riding out from Murfreesboro that Thursday evening. Not sure we will make it all the way or stop somewhere. There may be a couple of others local that will ride with us. If you'd like to join the ride, just PM me and we can arrange a time and place to meet.

If you do decide to go to EOM, my wife and I are riding out from Murfreesboro that Thursday evening. Not sure we will make it all the way or stop somewhere. There may be a couple of others local that will ride with us. If you'd like to join the ride, just PM me and we can arrange a time and place to meet.
Also, Brenda and I will be headed up that way so if you wanted to toss some extra gear in the truck we would be happy to deliver it for ya.

Welcome to the forum, I'll chime in on a couple of things. As far as the seat goes, I'm sure you've found that the "Russell" is more than likely the most popular. Just be careful on purchasing a second hand seat, mainly because the seat was made specifically for someone else, and unless you are fortunate enough to be the exact size as the previous owner, you may find it does not work out as good for you, (my experience). So, either save your $ and get a new one or look at alternatives, like "Mayer" (which I have) and I am very happy with it, or trade your Corbin for a stock one and get it "Spencerized" a less expensive alternative, but again, maybe not the most popular, but is a decent option.

The tires, well.....I have a PR2 on the rear and a PR3 on the front. Initially had Bridgestones BT023 on it, and ended up with 12,000 kms, (yes kms) on the rear and 14,000kms on the front with some tread to spare, before I went to the Michelin. So far I think I'd rather have a PR2 on the front, but that's just me. I found the BT023's were fine, sticky on the sides.

If you ride solo, look at the Twisted Throttle DrySpec D38 waterproof rigid bag. It is "waterproof" and fits quite nicely across your passenger seat, as an option to loading the top case.

BTW 2003's rock,lol

There are a lot of knowledgeable members on this forum, so take advantage of it when you're able too.

I'll chime in on Dyna Beads . Have run them on a few Pilot Road 2's now with great results.
Great! I have some laying around and wanted to use them when I change tires next time.

On the VTX I usually went thru 2 front tires before the back needed replacing. Does that seem to hold true on the FjR as well? Also, somebody talk to me about tire pressure. Is the recommended pressure the best? And how the heck do you easily check the pressure! :uhuh: You have to almost lay on the ground to get to the rear one.
I run 42 rear / 40 front. Steers better and fights front tire cupping.
Hey Christey and welcome to the forum, looks like you've gotten great advice so far! :D . I have a very similar experience as you, for 8 years I owned a highly customized Honda Shadow Aero 1100 with Mustang seat, pipes, bags, floorboards, etc. loved it for the most part but could never ride longer than 2 hours comfortably as my wrists and tailbone would go numb the hurt. Then there was that d@mn vibration from the big twin, wow that got annoying after 150 miles! :p

I made the mistake of ridding with a buddy (CBR600 F4i) and his GF (Honda 919) for a day, switching bikes I realized JUST HOW slow, awful braking, and just plain bad at handling my poor Aero was! I had SO much fun on Kristen's naked 919 that I started thinking about a bike change that afternoon. Did a LOT of research, test drove a BMW 1200RT for a half day, tried a Kawi Concours 1400, and finally a used '03 FJR with 75K miles which the owner let me test drive. L. O. V. E. at first ride. ;) . The rest is history, did a fly-n-ride from St Louis to Northern Michigan, my first ride on Falco was 800 miles in 2 days, I had major swamp butt when I got home but what a HUGE grin!

Okay, on to the practical stuff: I run my tires at 42F / 40R like Blueman, seems a good balance of handling and tire wear. I have only gone through one set so far, and my used '06 came with Dunlop D220s which I would not recommend. I replaced both with the previously recommended Michelin PR2s last summer. My rear tire is 60% gone at 8,500 miles and my front is still looking great. My experience will be the opposite of your VTX, a ratio of 2 rear tires to 1 front.

Seat wise, I contemplated every option and ended up saving, waiting, and selling a few little things on Craigskist so I could justify my Russell Daylong with heaters. Worth EVERY penny even though it is a big ticket item. Just so you understand, I rented my bike out to my roommate 2 weeks ago so he could drive to Colorado Springs on a budget. First time riding since last fall for him, 1,014 miles the first day...! Went from N Mich. to Topeka, KS in 18 hours. No way in hell you could do that on a Corbin or factory seat, and my Russell was definitely not tuned for his butt. Still was comfortable enough he got back on and finished the next 400 miles with only shoulder and neck pain, very minimal butt ache! :)

I would offer my spare factory seats for you to keep riding & send yours in, but the '06 Gen2 wouldn't fit your '03. :(

Two more mods I would highly recommend are 08FJR4ME's Tank Mount RAM ball kit available in the Group Buy section, and a Powerlet kit for your dash panel. These two things greatly expand what you can add on a trip, GPS, phone charger, Radar Detector, etc.

https://www.powerlet.com/product/yamaha-fjr1300-2003-2005-right-front-panel-kit/147

All the best and very glad to see another lady on board! Don't forget us central owners, the CFO owners meeting this Sept. will be nearly as cool as EOM, well mostly because I'll be there... and maybe WheatonFJR. LOL

Any seat, light, or accessory questions always feel free to PM me... and I'll extend the same offer for all the other members here, we are a sarcastic but helpful and awesome group of peeps! ;)

Happy riding,

Abe in Michigan

Here is an option, Bill Mayer Saddles is now making custom seat pads the way they build saddles. They custom build it to fit you,and it is only about two hundred bucks.

Here is an option, Bill Mayer Saddles is now making custom seat pads the way they build saddles. They custom build it to fit you,and it is only about two hundred bucks.
A problem with a seat pad is that it will sit you higher on the bike, which may or may not be a good thing.

Just something to keep in mind.