HyperPro Fork Springs for ALL model FJRs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRocket

Doctor Throckenstein !!!
Reaction score
EDIT: I've completed swapping out my OEM fork springs for a set of HyperPro fork springs. HyperPro just listed a set of springs for the 2006+ FJRs on their website the day I bought mine. The SP-YA13-SSA008 "rising rate" (progressive...more or less) fork spring kit is for ALL FJRs, even the first generation bikes. Willem at HyperPro in Holland sez the aluminum cup at the bottom of the new series spring (shown below) makes the spring work for ALL years, and ALL weights of FJR.

There evidently was some confusion between the US distributor and the home office around the time I inquired about their springs, as these are a brand new spring series. I'm not sure what happened, but I think Annitori Dist. was expecting an additional series springs for just the new series FJR. The new spring series is in fact for ALL models through 2007. They will discontinue the SP-YA13-SSA003 series and replace it with only the "008" series springs. HyperPro makes springs for the forks and/or for shocks, and they are available as a "combi" set.

I could have bought the springs directly from the HyperPro website (US distributor), but I emailed Mike Kolstad at UM and got them from Fargo. I only saved enough to cover the shipping. These things are pretty salty, about $160 for the pair. They come with the 15 wt oil and a dollop of grease to do the install. The model specific instructions are in short hand, probably typed out in Holland by someone who's primary language is NOT English. I emailed them for some clarification on the install, and got a fairly quick response. It really isn't all that hard to install these springs, nothing special about it. Note that fork servicing is covered elsewhere, so I'm not going to get into the general removal and service processes.

When you set the OEM springs and the HyperPros side by, it's a little disconcerting. The HyperPro springs appear to be for a different motorcycle. Note the HyperPro on the right:

ForkSpringComparison.JPG

An interesting note is that Willem at HyperPro describes the OEM spring as a rising rate spring, just like HyperPros. In that regard perhaps all we get with swapping these springs are better quality and longer spring action?

After pulling my forks out and apart, I got the OEM spring out. It seems dainty compared to the HyperPro. Part of the HP install short hand/language barrier confusion comes from them using language that doesn't correspond to the Yamaha parts diagrams. Not the US parts diagrams, anyway. I finally figured out that the reference to the PRELOAD BUSH means the 150MM long tube ( called a "spacer" by Yamaha) that sits between the flat washer and the nut just under the cap bolt. The flat washer sits on top of the OEM Yamaha spring. Then HP refers to using the ORG RING. To me that meant ORGANIC ring, but they just mean use the ORIGINAL flat washer when reinstalling the parts.

Finally, it makes sense, because when you put the combined OEM parts together as in the pics above, the overall length is the same. No wonder these springs are twice the cost, there's nearly twice the spring! I certainly hope that translates in to some seriously good fork action once the new springs are in service.

The billet aluminum cup on the bottom of the springs is to make them work for both generations of FJRs. IOW, this spring set fits all model year FJRs.

HyperproCup.JPG

The HyperPro instructions say the air space above the oil with the fork tubes fully compressed (metal to metal) is supposed to be 230mm. Looks like stock, my AE is more like 195. So there's actually less oil used with the HyperPro spring. Dunno why, just going to follow the instructions and do it like they tell me.

I will say this much, the instructions do have some good detail on setup of this spring set. They even go as far as to tell you that you should set your forks at 3 rings, 15 clicks of compression and 6 clicks of rebound, to get 30mm of sag. That's the range to start with, anyway. Pretty cool! (yeah, I know that's about mid range, like you would expect...)

FJRTech covers fork servicing pretty thoroughly, so there's no point in me rehashing that. I can confirm that the springs go back in just like stock, except you omit the spacer tube. Easy. The slightly tricky part is getting the center plunger pulled back up through the center of the longer spring to nut it all back together. I found my extension magnet and pulled the center plunger up with ease.

When I reassembled the forks, with them back on the bike, I used a floor jack to reposition the front end up and down to get better access to the parts. With the bike down and the tubes fully compressed, the parts stick up out of the tube just enough to get a good hold on them to reassemble. Nice.

I thought I'd share this information with you, just in case someone was interested in a set of springs other than Wilbers or Eibach, and really didn't want to fork out (p.i.) the dough for a complete fork job. I think these HyperPro springs will put me somewhat closer to what the FJR front end can deliver, and certainly should be a LOT better than stock. I'll report back after I get a test ride... after the iceflow in my driveway melts in a week or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy Schiznit! Those springs don't look anything alike. Are you sure those aren't for a Goldwing? :lol:

Nothing like the Wilbers vs. stock photo Warchild posted many moons ago. They Wilbers were different, but only slightly so compared to above. Wilbers also specified 100mm of airspace for most of us *average* sized guys.

Can't wait to hear your road review......

Have you got the new springs in the forks yet? I had trouble screwing the end cap on with the slightly more length/preload of the Wilbers springs. Looks like you are gonna have a job on your hand. Once inside the forks, that spring looks like it will be compressed an awful lot. As in not much springing left to go? Are you sure those are the right ones?

I am thinking with the longer spring, less oil would have to be use to get the same air spring (air gap/air space). The extra spring would displace the difference in oil volume. This would be after the forks are back together. I hope this make sense, and the air space/oil level controls the last inch or so of fork travel. I guess this means your not riding this weekend :dribble: ..... Smitty

I am thinking with the longer spring, less oil would have to be use to get the same air spring (air gap/air space). The extra spring would displace the difference in oil volume. This would be after the forks are back together. I hope this make sense, and the air space/oil level controls the last inch or so of fork travel. I guess this means your not riding this weekend :dribble: ..... Smitty
No, I'm not riding this weekend. I can't get the FJR out my driveway anyway. It's a LOUGE course. I might sneak a ride in the snow on my twofiddy if I get a wild hair.

And I agree with your assessment of the sichiashun with the oil. The way I measure it, there won't be a dramatic change, but there will be about 20% less oil.

Have you got the new springs in the forks yet? I had trouble screwing the end cap on with the slightly more length/preload of the Wilbers springs. Looks like you are gonna have a job on your hand. Once inside the forks, that spring looks like it will be compressed an awful lot. As in not much springing left to go? Are you sure those are the right ones?
Oh, I asked them about the spring length in an email. Sort of an "are you sErIoUs :blink: ?" email. When you omit the OEM spacer tube (they call it a DO12MM LO 150MM PRELOAD BUSH) over the center plunger rod (dunno the real name for it), and you put the washer (they call that the ORG RING) just under the nut at the top of the center plunger (the one that screws onto the cap/bolt that seals the tube), the spring does in fact sit in effectively the same position at the same total length. So gettting the threaded cap back on the end of the tube is actually pretty easy. That's why I put the spacer and the washer in the pic in the first post. You can see that the OEM spring and the spacer equals the length of the HyperPro spring. Just put the washer at the top, just under the nut right on the top of the spring. Once the nut goes on back over the center plunger/flat washer/spring, with the forks fully extended with the help of the floor jack, I was able to just press my palm down on the cap and re-thread it down a few turns. I was in fact able to turn the cap by hand almost completely seated, it goes back on VERY nicely.

And I can confirm again that the springs go back in just like stock. Just omit the 150mm long spacer tube. Easy. The hardest part is getting the center plunger (actually a barrel that surrounds a small dia rod in it's center) pulled back up through the center of the spring to nut it back together. I used an extension magnet, and that was really easy, too. Perhaps a little tricky, but once you pull the center plunger back up, the washer and nut go on pretty easily.

Simply put, you just omit the 12mm dia x 150mm long spacer tube ("preload bushing") and these parts go together like stock. The HyperPro springs are just as easy, if not even easier, to install than the Wilbers springs I put on my '04.

I had the fun of putting the first HP shock spring on a 2002 Sprint. It was the wrong spring but they finally got it right. Hyperpro product support was outstanding at that time, but Micron was their US distributor which isn't the case now. I corresponded with one of their engineers Peter van den Bogaard [[email protected]] who was outstanding. If I were you and looking at the obvious difference, I would make ABSOLUTELY sure before I road those springs at speed.

I WILL get those forks as well. My experience on the Sprint was excellent. Nothing eliminates dive on conventional forks but the performance definitely improved. I wouldn't expect as much of an improvement on the FJR because the forks aren't that bad. Triumph stock forks suck.

... I would make ABSOLUTELY sure before I road those springs at speed....
I'm absolutely sure.

I got the part numbers direct from the distributer the day they were adding them to their catalog. In fact we went back and forth a little bit via email. I actually asked them about a possible future group buy, and they said the love to sell springs. Considering how many members have already taken advatage of recent suspension group buys, coupled with the considerably higher cost of the HyperPros, "the powers that be" thought it best to skip these for a GB and just refer you to your favorite vendor.

Also confirmed via email from Willem at HyperPro in Holland that these are the correct fork springs FOR ALL MODEL YEARS.

And the pics in my first post above, coupled with the install experience, confirm beyond all doubt that I have the correct springs. Now, as to whether they are right or not, well, that remains to be seen. But from what I've gathered about this company, I don't have any reservations about going out and putting these new springs to the test. Just wish it would thaw...

Here I go again. This is just to update the information. I edited the first post to read that the new HyperPro series is for ALL year FJRs. Willem at HyperPro in Holland corrected the information I got from the US distributor. Just a heads up that ALL FJRs now take the "008" series springs.

Yes, I rode them last night. So far, so good. I still have to dial in my new Penske 8981 and the Hyperpros up front. But so far it feels REALLY good. I had the Penske set wrong and was getting pogo'd to death. I think I'll re-set the sag tonight and run out tomorrow... hopefully behind the rain.

I'll post more tomorrow or Sunday if it doesn't pour down rain all weekend. Actually, I hope it pours down REAL soon to get all the friggin salt and sand off the roads. We had a bad winter here, and the roads are filthy treacherous. I'd have to about go to Ohio for a test ride just to MAYBE find some decent roads to put the suspension through it's paces.

PS: I was going to replace the shock with a HyperPro 3D shock, but that deal hasn't materialized. Unless HyperPro initiates contact with me and more or less GIVES me a shock to test, I'm sticking with what's already on the bike.

Stand by....

Yes, I rode them last night. So far, so good. I still have to dial in my new Penske 8981 and the Hyperpros up front. But so far it feels REALLY good. I had the Penske set wrong and was getting pogo'd to death. I think I'll re-set the sag tonight and run out tomorrow... hopefully behind the rain.
I'll post more tomorrow or Sunday if it doesn't pour down rain all weekend. Actually, I hope it pours down REAL soon to get all the friggin salt and sand off the roads. We had a bad winter here, and the roads are filthy treacherous. I'm gonna have to go to SE Ohio on April 20-22 with wheaton for a test ride (if he'll let me come with him) just to MAYBE find some decent roads to put the suspension through it's paces.

PS: I was going to replace the shock with a HyperPro 3D shock, but that deal hasn't materialized. Unless HyperPro initiates contact with me and more or less GIVES me a shock to test, I'm sticking with what's already on the bike.

Stand by....
Hey, that's great news Rocket! Sure, I'll let you come with! :D :D

In fact, I'll let you lead for once! ;) ;) ;) HA!

j/k there Matt...I always let you lead. :)

I'll post more tomorrow or Sunday if it doesn't pour down rain all weekend. Actually, I hope it pours down REAL soon to get all the friggin salt and sand off the roads. We had a bad winter here, and the roads are filthy treacherous. I'm gonna have to go to SE Ohio on April 20-22 with wheaton for a test ride (if he'll let me come with him) just to MAYBE find some decent roads to put the suspension through it's paces.

Stand by....
Hey, that's great news Rocket! Sure, I'll let you come with! :D :D

In fact, I'll let you lead for once! ;) ;) ;) HA!

j/k there Matt...I always let you lead. :)
Mark, you sure are pushing that SE OHIO Ramble (WV ride) thing, aren't you?!?! :rolleyes: Sorry bud, but I'll be doing the Cape Fear 1K rally that weekend. If you're going out test riding before that, lemme know, and I might tag along. ITMT, looks like we only got light rain tonight, so tomorrow should be a good day for at least a dry ride. The corners won't be for shit, though. Freakin sand and salt SUCKS.

Matt

If you get these springs BEEE careful. My combi kit just arrived and as soon as I saw the fork springs I new something was wrong. They have a different set of springs for ABS and non-ABS models. The non-ABS model has about 8 less turns and doesn't have the aluminum cup. The shock spring is different also. As usual the HyperPro people are taking care of this but it did take a few minutes to convince them I really did not have the right kit. Thanks FJRocket for your initial write up or I wouldn't have discovered this until I had shock or fork bits all over my garage.

If you get these springs BEEE careful. My combi kit just arrived and as soon as I saw the fork springs I new something was wrong. They have a different set of springs for ABS and non-ABS models. The non-ABS model has about 8 less turns and doesn't have the aluminum cup. The shock spring is different also. As usual the HyperPro people are taking care of this but it did take a few minutes to convince them I really did not have the right kit. Thanks FJRocket for your initial write up or I wouldn't have discovered this until I had shock or fork bits all over my garage.
My understanding was that Hyperpro was discontinuing other models and the ONLY fork spring for the FJR was the one with the cup and longer spring (or more twists?). Sheesh, something else getting lost in the translation. I hope they get their shit together.

so, ummmm, does the front end of your bike now sit up about five inches higher than with the stock shocks cause those shocks are LONG!!
If you are talking about the fork springs, they end up being the same length. Yamaha puts a spacer tube inbetween the adjuster cap and the spring.

Here's a pic comparing the removable internals:

ForkSpringComparison.JPG