I almost darwined my recently aquired FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked me up a 03 FJR with 26k on the dial and no history, recall stuff was done, but no service record.

:help: So the first thing i did to this used treasure was to replace the battery followed by a 26k service, and doing everything else too. valve were great, spark plugs needed replacement to good timing, did the rear end, here is were the trouble starts. :poster_oops: I doing the TBS and TBPS too. so run the srews down, fire it up and look at my home made throttle body syncs, worked well and didn't surge as much as I thought it would, however needs more oil in the sync next time. So I'm syncing the throttle plates to clean up this roughness in the bottom 3k of the revs. It also always had a clattering noise on it, was hoping to get rid of it. So I start with the 2-3 linkage and was working on getting it right, so turn off, locked the throttle wide open turn screw and hope you got them synced and on the second time getting to this step I missed a step, you unlock the throttle and fire it up to check level skill engine repeat till they match, So right to that second time, the step I missed was unlocking the throttle that was wide open. :eek: started up and was followed by really load noise as revs bounced off the limiter. This lasted about 1-2 seconds as I figured out what had happened and went for the throttle tried to unlock it and went for the kill switch. next it was me standing there holding my heart. Fired right back up and continued to sync, shit some were really out of range. then synced at idle, runs nice and smooth and didn't notice the ticking down there. changed the oil coolant plugs checked valve, did rear drive to.

So the question that needs answering is what kinda damage should I expect from holding the throttle open and holding it there for 2-3 seconds?

It's a lot more fun when you hit that rev limiter in gear while riding. ;)
Lord, don't get me started...OK...forget it's in first as buddy goes off line hard...rev to 8k, let out clutch...no go...have to wait for revs to lessen before jamming it into first, grab lotsa throttle and dump clutch...front wheel rises 6", then 12", then hit rev limiter hard, front drops kinda sudden, then remember need to shift

note/fyi: LDComfort shorts don't hold a stain after a washing... :blink:

You said "smoke comes from there" is it still smoking?
Ok I fired it up today to make sure that the cooling tube o-rings had set right in top of head, which they hadn't, and got alot of blue smoke out tail pipes. :blink: It did stop smoking after a bit so It might be because I had just changed the oil and may have over filled it so IDK if its related or not. also still have that damn rattle at 3k, damn that one annoys me. Anyways I'm yanking it apart again and replacing those O-rings. I'm gonna be pissed if I broke it, I really like this bike and I can't afford to fit it on a students budget. :(

Would love to meet someone in the area that has one of these to compare that noise to see if its normal or not. So cal, OC

You said "smoke comes from there" is it still smoking?
Ok I fired it up today to make sure that the cooling tube o-rings had set right in top of head, which they hadn't, and got alot of blue smoke out tail pipes. :blink: It did stop smoking after a bit so It might be because I had just changed the oil and may have over filled it so IDK if its related or not. also still have that damn rattle at 3k, damn that one annoys me. Anyways I'm yanking it apart again and replacing those O-rings. I'm gonna be pissed if I broke it, I really like this bike and I can't afford to fit it on a students budget. :(

Would love to meet someone in the area that has one of these to compare that noise to see if its normal or not. So cal, OC
make damn sure it's not the sound of the CCT (cam chain tensioner) letting go or you will be needing a new engine

kinda like marbles in a can coming from the right side of the engine

make damn sure it's not the sound of the CCT (cam chain tensioner) letting go or you will be needing a new engine

kinda like marbles in a can coming from the right side of the engine

Pretty sure it isn't, only present around the 3k make seems more on left side but hard to pin point. I checked my CCT while i was doing valves and it was fine. :) Sound has a very steady pattern, that's what made me think it was valve clearance. :huh: Then i figured it might be the throttle bodies out of sync, which they were, but not cause of sound. Now I'm out of Ideas on what that sound might be. Dad thinks its the exhaust and that I should stop worrying about it.

if it sounded like a can of marbles I would be taking it to the shop instead of turning wrenches myself. Thanks for looking out for me thou. Ill be firing it back up in the morning to see if i fixed the coolant leak and hopefully no smoke. :rolleyes:

Well I got it back together and took it on a shakedown ride to the local dealer to have the friendly techs there listen to it. Great guys over at mission motor sports. They had two techs come listen to it, one was a master tech, and they both say its my cam chain making the noise. They both thought it wasn't near bad enough to replace CCT yet and no stop worrying about it. So I guess I need to figure out whats involved in changing out the CCT and getting the info on the aftermarket CCT. The techs both wanted to see aftermarket one if I got it. So its good to know what the noise is, to bad it is the CCT. Both techs agreed that it wasn't the dreaded tick.

Well I got it back together and took it on a shakedown ride to the local dealer to have the friendly techs there listen to it. Great guys over at mission motor sports. They had two techs come listen to it, one was a master tech, and they both say its my cam chain making the noise. They both thought it wasn't near bad enough to replace CCT yet and no stop worrying about it. So I guess I need to figure out whats involved in changing out the CCT and getting the info on the aftermarket CCT. The techs both wanted to see aftermarket one if I got it. So its good to know what the noise is, to bad it is the CCT. Both techs agreed that it wasn't the dreaded tick.
Too bad it's the CCT ??? That's an easy fix. Much better that what you get if you don't change it :)

Too bad it's the CCT ??? That's an easy fix. Much better that what you get if you don't change it :)
Yeah, I'm good at wrenching so if it isnt covered by my YES then I'll do it myself I guess. I really don't want to have to take it apart again. It gets old fast taking it apart over and over again. Anyways I'm got to go burp the cooling system. its been running hot in town since I pulled it apart. Hope its that simple.

They both thought it wasn't near bad enough to replace CCT yet and no stop worrying about it.
Worst advice you could have received.

Here's the dealio......if it's making cam chain noise, that means the CCT is no longer applying enough pressure on the chain to keep it from rattling. For a few hundred miles, that MIGHT be okay to ride in that condition.

I put about 3,000 miles on my noisy 04 before the chain went bye-bye. But Patriot (Mike in 'nawlins) only went about 3 days IIRC before his cam drive grenaded.

BUT....one slip of that loose chain on the crank sprocket will perform a valve-ectomy on the cylinder head that will cost between $1500 and $1800 worth of damage....in parts alone. Consider the labor costs involved in repair a "bonus."

Here's a direct link to the aftermarket part.....CLICKY

You have a choice.....about $85 for the OEM part, $52 for the aftermarket APE unit, or $1800 for new valves, valve guides, valve seats, springs, etc.

Do you feel lucky?

Well, do you?

EDIT:

If it isnt covered by my YES then I'll do it myself I guess. I really don't want to have to take it apart again. It gets old fast taking it apart over and over again. Anyways I'm got to go burp the cooling system. its been running hot in town since I pulled it apart. Hope its that simple.
Your YES is still in effect on a 7 year old bike??? :blink: :dribble: :blink:

You can change out the CCT without pulling any plastic. HERE is a definitive post on changing the CCT, thanks to Bluesie.

Last edited by a moderator:
They both thought it wasn't near bad enough to replace CCT yet and no stop worrying about it.
Worst advice you could have received.

Here's the dealio......if it's making cam chain noise, that means the CCT is no longer applying enough pressure on the chain to keep it from rattling. For a few hundred miles, that MIGHT be okay to ride in that condition.

I put about 3,000 miles on my noisy 04 before the chain went bye-bye. But Patriot (Mike in 'nawlins) only went about 3 days IIRC before his cam drive grenaded.

BUT....one slip of that loose chain on the crank sprocket will perform a valve-ectomy on the cylinder head that will cost between $1500 and $1800 worth of damage....in parts alone. Consider the labor costs involved in repair a "bonus."

Here's a direct link to the aftermarket part.....CLICKY

You have a choice.....about $85 for the OEM part, $52 for the aftermarket APE unit, or $1800 for new valves, valve guides, valve seats, springs, etc.

Do you feel lucky?

Well, do you?

EDIT:

If it isnt covered by my YES then I'll do it myself I guess. I really don't want to have to take it apart again. It gets old fast taking it apart over and over again. Anyways I'm got to go burp the cooling system. its been running hot in town since I pulled it apart. Hope its that simple.
Your YES is still in effect on a 7 year old bike??? :blink: :dribble: :blink:

You can change out the CCT without pulling any plastic. HERE is a definitive post on changing the CCT, thanks to Bluesie.

Yeah I bought it used recently and got a extended warranty when I got it. turns out its a western extended service plan. I took it to the shop today since the noise was getting louder and they are getting approval, and then I'll be able to drop it off at the start of July sometime. Damn shop is busy there. tells you how good they are. I'll keep riding it till then, if it blows up my deductible was still the same. Just gonna suck not being able to ride it while its in the shop as I ride it daily. I'll keep you updated as it goes along. If CCT isn't covered I'll just work on it myself.

Yeah I bought it used recently and got a extended warranty when I got it. turns out its a western extended service plan. I took it to the shop today since the noise was getting louder and they are getting approval, and then I'll be able to drop it off at the start of July sometime. Damn shop is busy there. tells you how good they are. I'll keep riding it till then, if it blows up my deductible was still the same. Just gonna suck not being able to ride it while its in the shop as I ride it daily. I'll keep you updated as it goes along. If CCT isn't covered I'll just work on it myself.
:thumbsup: