I crashed with slow wits and slow speed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear of the mishap and I hope that you heal quickly and thoroughly. Lots of us here have has low speed get offs - well, at least I have. I am amazed that you were able to get the bike upright under those conditions and only "tweak" your back. I picked mine up off some loose gravel a few years years ago, aggravated an old L5-S1 disc problem and ended up on morphine. I suspect that your back hurts more than you are letting on. In any case, feel better soon.

Shoot Michael, sorry to hear about and see your mishap. Hope you heal well and soon and that we might be able to cross paths on your MT trip this summer.

Cheers,

Fred

So sorry to hear about your mishap. I hurt for you. I imagine you are hobbling around on a sore leg that I hope heals quickly. I felt really stupid after my crash and I learned alot about riding from my get-off. I'm sure you are a wiser rider now. I'm impressed that you took the pics. I bet the adrenaline was flowing and your leg didn't hurt yet at that point.

And three cheers for picking up that beast in the mud. You gotta have some real strength to accomplish that feat.

Damn man that just sucks.... Glad to see you're reasonably intact. <<< Sympathetic Bro part.

Geebus cripes man! don't do that shit by yourself! What if ya knocked yerself out? laid there till?? <<< Concerned Dad part.

Yeah ya ain't my kid but you know the drill.

Take it easy on that leg bud.

:jester:

Sorry to hear abut your dual sport adventure, I have a left mirror you can have you pay for shipping, you might want to ask Auburn FJR what he will charge you to repaint your bags, I know he repainted his a few weeks ago after his spill. PM me reguarding the mirror.

Marcus

Dear brother Michael! Holy crap!

You didn't actually say that you've been to a doctor and been checked out!

How's the leg feeling right now? Swollen? Stitched up? Any other injuries?

Breaks my heart seeing that beautiful '06 lying in a mud puddle, and I'm sure it was a more distressing thing for you!

Damn Dam Tour anyway. That stinkin' road won this time, but I'm sure you'll get back at it - so don't be so hard on yourself amigo. So you fell down. You're in a very big club... and good company. :D

Take care of yourself, and we'll see you out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn dude! Err... Should it be Dam.

So glad that you are going to be ok.

Welcome to the Crash Club. :(

Michael, We get older but we don't always get wiser. Sorry to hear about your mishap. Don't be too hard on yourself, we wouldn't be human if we didn't make mistakes every now and then. Just make sure to get your wounds checked out be a real medical person. I hope you heal real soon.

I use my CRF 450 for that kind of riding. Frickin awesome. Sorry about the broken parts, but hell they still stock them at the Yamaha shop.

If I even see dirt i turn around,but mud damn man you got balls.

Damn man that just sucks.... Glad to see you're reasonably intact. <<< Sympathetic Bro part.
Geebus cripes man! don't do that shit by yourself! What if ya knocked yerself out? laid there till?? <<< Concerned Dad part.

Yeah ya ain't my kid but you know the drill.

Take it easy on that leg bud.

:jester:
You ever heard your own voice echo off hills as you yell "HELP!" and nobody answers? I do. It was either walk out on a boot that pinches and a shin that hurt or just unload the bike as best I could, slip and slide a few times, say, "fudge it" and pull a strongman?

I used to powerlift a bit. I'm old and fat but my muscles remembered. My right tricept, lower back, obliques and a few others are making me remember I'm old and fat today :huh:

And a killer... I thought about activating and mounting my SPOT, but "never got around to it..." :unsure:

And just to prove I never had a dad... I went to work this afternoon and paying the price tonight... you are officially allowed to bust my chops over this one. Glad it osn't Friday.

Sorry to hear abut your dual sport adventure, I have a left mirror you can have you pay for shipping, you might want to ask Auburn FJR what he will charge you to repaint your bags, I know he repainted his a few weeks ago after his spill. PM me reguarding the mirror.
Marcus
PM sent. :D I owe you a beer and some money...

Dear brother Michael! Holy crap!You didn't actually say that you've been to a doctor and been checked out!

How's the leg feeling right now? Swollen? Stitched up? Any other injuries?

Breaks my heart seeing that beautiful '06 lying in a mud puddle, and I'm sure it was a more distressing thing for you!

Damn Dam Tour anyway. That stinkin' road won this time, but I'm sure you'll get back at it - so don't be so hard on yourself amigo. So you fell down. You're in a very big club... and good company. :D

Take care of yourself, and we'll see you out there.
Drove 7 hours home. Got off the bike twice for gas only, because it was too painful to get off for peeing or water. I knew I was dehydrated because I didn't pee until hours after getting home. But the thought of the pain lifting my leg was really THAT bad. I could slide my right foot on the peg a bit to shift position, but lifting it or standing on it caused SERIOUS screeming pain. I admit I should have stopped, but I was riding pretty safely and decided the first time I swerved or hit the brake a little slow, I'd pull over and ask for the EMT's.

I almost passed out getting off the bike at home, then my wife helped me undress after I took a couple Oxycodone I have as needed for back pain (I rarely use them). I got into street clothes and went to the ED. They said they were worried about compartmental syndrome. I made the mistake of telling the PA and ED Doc I was an NP...they started all this jargon and I had to stop them and tell them I was a PSYCH. NP... didn't even slow them down.

This afternoon I asked a doc at work and he scared the hell out of me and said people lose their legs if that happens, then told gory details I understood this time. He said by what I described my leg was a solid rock from fluids except in the back -- a little more without attention and I could have lost the leg because I was ignoring it. I went and sat down, I shat you not. My leg has been up ever since.

Where does tough become stupid? I came close to finding out I guess.

Thanks for the concern buddy.

P.S. I see my doc tomorrow afternoon for follow-up, but the swelling is going down. My shin was as big as my thigh yesterday.

Hope you are feeling better shiney - life is one big learning curve. . . with the occasional mudhole.
Maybe I should change my name to mud man?

Here is my shin 24 hours after the accident, all cleaned up and much smaller. Hard to get a perspective, but it was smarting...

130.jpg

And here is a pic of my brake pedal AFTER I bent it back away from the frame enough to try to use... Kinda hard to tell, but it was shaped like a banana pointing toward the bike and only about 1/2 inch from touching it. It didn't break my bone either. Must have hit my shin as the bike slid out from under to the right and my leg tried to fly over the bike to the left. It happened kinda fast, I tried stabbing my left foot down but there was nothing there but water and mud. Maybe the Kevlar in my jeans helped dissipate the force a bit.. not sure if it even hit where there is Kevlar.

brakepedal.jpg

Glad your getting better.

We might be old and fat but, Damm, we're tough. Glad you were too.

Kind of, as you said, funny, this will be one of your trip that you and we will remember for a long time.

Wow Shiny I ride the Owyhees all the time, but I do it on my other Yamaha the Grizzly 700. Sorry to hear of your troubles. I assume you probably went to Mercy. I have a good friend that works there. I hope they treated you well