I dropped my FJR (sob sob sniffle.....)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dudeman750

Reaction score
Well, It happened. I'm only a few months on the FJR after years of cruisers and dirtbikes. I was doing a "U" turn at the top of my street with my wife on the back, and we arent small people. I cut it too sharp going too slow, and whoooooppppss! Fell over on the left side.

My stator cover got a little scratched and the bottom of my left side hard bag. Thankfully the damage was limited to just a little scratching. The turn signal pushed in, but popped right back out with no damage.

My question for you gurus is

Can I buy an 03 bag lid new?

How can I find the dark grey color to touch up the stator cover?

Where can I find the base coat or touch up for the bag lid?

Are there crash bars for this bike if I drop the damn thing again?

Oh BTW I love the 03 FJR. I paid 5195 for it and it was in imaculate condition with all service records, and lots of goodies added to it.

I do a lot of 2 up riding which it handles very well IMO>

I also own a goldwing and nighthawk but the FJR is my pride and joy.

I ride with all harleys and its fun to blow by them. Nothing like power to weight ratio to show them what Jap bikes can do....! shhhhhhh don't tell them. They spent a lot on those chrome beauties!

Yamaha only sells complete bags and they are $650 a pop. But there's a member here who's amazing at painting the lids. (Gary, do a simple forum search).

He's about $150 color matched. But you'll have to buy the rubber trim, yamaha logo in said rubber trim (unless yours is undamaged and you can get it off and back on) and reflector if you you have them. (Gen 1 bags might have different trim so don't quote me on what pieces you'll need).

(or strip them off the other bag). contact him, he'll set you up.

Don't know about the stator cover, mine's been scratched since oh, the 2nd week of ownership.

Yes there are crash bars, but the Gen 1's aren't complete yet.

-MD

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought matching paint for my stator cover from Colorrite. It's not cheap, but it matches. You can also buy some touch up for your other colors while you are at it. You might want to try a touch up yourself on the bag before you spend more money. It depends on how particular you are. You will still have just as much fun on the bike with a small scratch. The bike doesn't know it and you won't either while you are moving. Leave the bike dirty and wear an old stich and you'll look much cooler anyway.

You can put front sliders on (easy to find) and rear sliders are availble from Bike Design in Belgium. Many of us add the sliders after we've fixed our first tip over mishap.

My view on the bikes is that they are meant to be ridden more and admired less. Once you put on the GPS and radar detector, it's going to look more utilitarian anyway. Wear this one out and buy another.

Happy riding.

Sorry you dropped your beloved bike but glad you didn't harm your true beloved. :eek:

The information is available in the 03-05 Bin O' Facts thread on the "FAQs and Common Historical Info" page.

To whit:

PaintYamaha does not generally appear to publish or make available any specific paint codes. Generally refer to www.colorite.com

as they specialize in color matching. Others are educated guesses by members that have tried to match over time.

2003 - Liquid Silver

(PPG)Deltron 2000, DBC37637 "Silbersee"

Wheels - ColorRite shows it as Silver #8 (S8) Paint Code 0895

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought matching paint for my stator cover from Colorrite. It's not cheap, but it matches. You can also buy some touch up for your other colors while you are at it. You might want to try a touch up yourself on the bag before you spend more money. It depends on how particular you are. You will still have just as much fun on the bike with a small scratch. The bike doesn't know it and you won't either while you are moving. Leave the bike dirty and wear an old stich and you'll look much cooler anyway.
You can put front sliders on (easy to find) and rear sliders are availble from Bike Design in Belgium. Many of us add the sliders after we've fixed our first tip over mishap.

My view on the bikes is that they are meant to be ridden more and admired less. Once you put on the GPS and radar detector, it's going to look more utilitarian anyway. Wear this one out and buy another.

Happy riding.
Thanks for the reply. I've been to colorite and they did not show the engine color. How did you go about finding this?

I bought a touch up can from colorrite......way expensive!!! Then Garauld suggested having a local paint shop match it. Well I did, and they were less than half the price, and it looks better than the colorrite stuff. I bought a liter of paint, reducer, and top coat for less than $80......deal. Try that.

I bought a touch up can from colorrite......way expensive!!! Then Garauld suggested having a local paint shop match it. Well I did, and they were less than half the price, and it looks better than the colorrite stuff. I bought a liter of paint, reducer, and top coat for less than $80......deal. Try that.
I think I will. But for the stator cover, I just need touch up paint that somewhat matches. So far I have not seen the color listed anywhere.

I think I will. But for the stator cover, I just need touch up paint that somewhat matches. So far I have not seen the color listed anywhere.
Just dropped mine too and scratched the stator cover. I bought a new one from Gary at Mondak. It was $72.

Rick

For my 05 the color is listed on the colorrite can as:

Yamaha 5319 OWN

Circuit Silver

It's darker grey than the silver frame. I do not know about your 2003 model color.

Latest posts