I fought the law

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well duh- it was the damn tire..looks like a drag slick.
One of the reasons I love it. I wish every FJR came with one from the factory. Wonderful tire. The Exalto feels sooo much like a regular MT. 8k on it thus far... still looks like new. Oops... I don't want to get started on that subject... wrong thread.
And thank you Ken for your input. You're kinda new on the forum aren't cha?

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it would be right proper, and better to let this thread update for awhile before sharing my two most memorable experiences with traffic law enforcement out of town on bike trips. They are happy stories with the 2nd one particularly comical IMHO:

1) https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=116869&hl=

2) https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=117051

Locally, I did finally get wrote up by a Looziana State Trooper who's circumstances gave me no chance. He waved me and then drove to pull me over. Didn't get out of the car for maybe 4-5 minutes, and then had the citation in hand, printed by a portable printer/laptop unit in the car. The lazer gun downloaded the info automatically including speed and gps info to print the ticket. He inputted my plate and had the info of me as owner, my driver's license info, my driving record, my current insurance info, and my bike registration info. All he asked for was my driver's license and if I had proof of insurance. I told him the registration and insurance card were either in my tank bag or my trunk, but I knew I had it, but no clue where. He replied to forget it and he already had my insurance info. My driver's license as ID confirmation was all he required. My only question was to ask the officer what speed he clocked me. He answered 80 in a 60. I replied that I thought all of that interestate stretch was 70mph and I was accelerating on (the on-ramp) to get in front of a truck that was coming in the right lane. What are you actually gonna write it up as. He said it already was written in his car as 80 in a 60. I thought that was quite unusual not getting a break from the officer. He said the gun made the decision of what the charge is. The good news in all this was going to court in a small town outside New Orleans required pleading guilty to a non-moving with no report to the state or insurance companies, and a flat $100 for <15over and $150 for 15 or over. 26+ was a major offense that I don't know what happens.

I always go to court to discuss a lesser charge as the insurance hit is the big cost. Every time as far as I can remember (automobile related citations) all local municipalities allow lessening the charge to a non moving (improper equipment - like a burned out tailight) and the same fine is assigned as the original charge. They do all they can to collect their $$$ without having to have a hearing/trial and call the officer to court. Works pretty well.

Lucky several times, unlucky once.

- 4 weeks ago, 150 kph in 80 zone + construction zone. 4 of us. Cop just kept shaking his head at us. It was a Sunday, no construction going on, so just got a balling out.

- 2 weeks ago, coming out of construction zone. Wheelied, looked left as I passed the cop, put the wheel down and watched my mirrors for 5 miles. He was stuck in the traffic of the construction zone. I wasn't speeding however.

- 1 week ago, 91 in a 50 zone. Some of the luck ran out. Marked it down to a 74 in a 50.

I'll grow up some day.

I just finshed a "community academy" by the local sheriff's office (L.A. Co.). It was very interesting. The Motorcop came in and said if you get pulled over by a motorcop your are getting a ticket. He further stated that if any of his friends or family is stopped they should know better and should get a ticket. The deputy who was running the program asked the motorcop, "Did it hurt?" The motorcop replied, "What do you mean?" The deputy continued, "Did it hurt when they took out your heart when you got your traffic wings?" In L.A. County stay with-in 5 mph your fine.

The deputy who was running the program asked the motorcop, "Did it hurt?" The motorcop replied, "What do you mean?" The deputy continued, "Did it hurt when they took out your heart when you got your traffic wings?"
THAT is hilarious.

As a former law enforcement officer, I understand the need to ensure a smooth flow of traffic and slow down those that present a danger, but I almost ALWAYS took the time to listen/evaluate the situation before writing the ticket.

Shutting up was the absolute best thing you could possibly have done. And it worked, right?

The other thing that helps is taking off the helmet or lifting the faceplate and having him find some gray hair and a stray laugh line or two. They don't give such breaks to punk kids with nose rings and tattoos, you know.
Pretty much sums it up! +1.

I have been pulled over twice in the last 3 years for speeding (once on the Magna and once on the FJR) and both times I was given verbal warnings a hand shake and on my way. I think my luck might be running out because all the officers in California can't be that cool. ;)

Someone beat me to it, saying that the CT looks like a racing slick compared to a MC tire. This LEO, being a GW - owner himself may have just wanted to take a closer look at that wide piece of rubber on the back end.

Another Ken

Cali cops hate bikers, period. Been ticketed by motor cops, hassled by cage cops, they just aren't so nice or gracious here in Cali. I was very kind and ansewred all questions honestly, it got me a ticket. Maybe the doughnuts aren't that good anymore. :dribble: Maybe they hate Yamaha's? :unsure:

What pissed me off is the last CHP motor cop that ticketed me was a young, obnoxious, punk, that was trying to prove, I don't know what. I've been riding bikes longer than he's been alive. <_<
That doesn't seem to be the case in L.A. County, cops seem to more or less ignore bikes unless it's a sport bike bike acting squiddy. I'd honestly be happy if they started hassling the Harley riders with straight pipes but I think that's what half the LEO's ride when they are off duty.

In Calif its called exihibition of speed, citeable for reckless driving even though you did not break the speed law or break traction. More of a "Malum Probhibitum as opposed to Malum in se" type of law, viewed by the courts as a violation based on the officers description of the violation of your speed, actions. you were lucky, kissing ass really helps in the prevention of a citation, if you continue to ride like that around the police, get used to the taste...

FWFE
+1

During my day, back in North Carolina it was called "Failure To Do Right". :p

On my way home today, I passed a police officer on a divided highway (three lanes each way): speed limit was 50. With 4-6 cars piled up at each light, I took off at my normal pace. Let the clutch out at about 2k, and give the throttle a good twist, shift at 4k through first and second, and then tool along a couple over the speed limit. I repeated this process along with the same pack of cars including the police car through 3 lights and about 3 miles. Then I see the flashing blue lights in my mirror. I'm thinking that he's after somebody else. No such luck, he wants me. I'm wondering, what did I do? The officer's first words? "If you're trying to get my attention, you've got it." I'm in shock... just stood there and stared at him. I'm thinking, "Is this a bad dream? Is this really happening?" "So," he says, "The reason I pulled you over is: you can't take off like a bat out of __ __ __ __ like that, you're going to get into an accident." While he said that he was twisting an imaginary throttle like he was demonstrating a drag race. Now I'm thinking of several things to say... like for example, "but officer, that was only half throttle..." or, "I never took it over 4 grand!!" Or maybe, "I didn't pull any wheelies, I didn't burn the tire, you didn't hear the engine revving to 15 grand, I didn't even break the speed limit." But I didn't say anything, just stood and stared at him. The happy ending: he came back in a few moments after half the county drove by looking at me (how embarrassing, there's nothing to hide behind on a bike)... and said, "I'm going to give you a break today because of your driving record, and the fact that I'm a biker too." He told me about his Gold Wing, and said that my FJR was a pretty sharp looking machine. It's been 20 years since I was given a moving violation, and I'm still trying to figure out what law I broke. Oh well. Guess I'll just be thankful that I didn't get ticketed.

Gary

darksider #44

FYI if you live in Colorado two laws cover fast acceleration even if you do not break the speed limit. Both actually fall under street racing but you do not have to be racing anyone. One Exhibition of Speed and then Street racing. In Colorado if convicted on either you will most likely have your license pulled for a while and evn if you keep it your insurance will sky rocket. Doesn't take much. On the other side I am not saying you did either but it is technically illegal if the officer feels you were pulling away at a faster then normal acceleration even if you did not break the limit.

FYI if you live in Colorado two laws cover fast acceleration even if you do not break the speed limit. Both actually fall under street racing but you do not have to be racing anyone. One Exhibition of Speed and then Street racing. In Colorado if convicted on either you will most likely have your license pulled for a while and evn if you keep it your insurance will sky rocket. Doesn't take much. On the other side I am not saying you did either but it is technically illegal if the officer feels you were pulling away at a faster then normal acceleration even if you did not break the limit.
I am sure it's different everywhere, but at least some judges seem skeptical of these types of tickets. Where I grew up it was called exhibition of acceleration and I will never forget sitting in traffic court one night, watching a kid in front of the judge on that charge.

Judge: "One thing I don't understand, how do you make a Honda Accord exhibit excessive acceleration?"

Dumb kid: "I believe it's my exhaust sir"

In the end, my guess is the cop had little to nothing on you Gary, or else you would have gotten a ticket.

I think I know why I'm not paying a ticket today. Though it could be the fact that I was shifting at 4k rpm, ei I was only accelerating at 2/3 what she CAN do, or maybe it had something to do with, as the officer said, the fact that he was a biker too... maybe, as some of your pointed out, it was the grey hair or the business attire. But I think the reason was he went back to the cruiser to check my record. In 2 days, I celebrate 40 years of driving when I turn 56. During my first 20 years, I fit right in with many of you fine people. I had more tickets than I knew what to do with, and almost lost my license before my 18th birthday. However, I made some decisions about 20 years ago, and haven't had a moving violation since. As the officer said, the fact that I wasn't speeding or showing off combined with my driving record caused him to simply warn me to take it easy. But then again, truth be known, I WAS taking it easy (albeit not easy enough). The FJR can go so much faster than the way I drive it. Good thing I wasn't really ringing it out that day. I save that stuff for those moments when I'm miles from anything or anyone.

Here's a thought: maybe he saw the Exalto on the back, and figured anybody brave enough to ride on that thing needs a break!! <_<

Gary

darksider #44

Wondering if he was just checking your record and/or the status of the bike. I got stopped on the way into work last February for a bit of excess speed. The LEO asked my why I was in such a hurry. I replied it was 16 def F and I was trying to get to work and warm up. He took pity on me and gave me a warning. But later, I talked to one of the fathers in my son's cub scout den that is an LEO in the same county. He said, given my location (close to SE DC) and the time of day (0515) he probably thought the bike was stolen.

Growing up in a military and law enforcement family I have always had a respectful outlook towards LEO's. Chances are by the time they have pulled you over they have already heard it all this shift, let alone during their career. Once in a while just like any profession you are going to get a genuine jerk, but they really are far and few, be it male or female.

Last year during the summer months I was going to lunch with a friend of mine from work. I was riding my Feej and he was on his CBR600R. Right in front of our work place is an on ramp to the interstate. Just a couple blocks away is the local State Patrol office. Anyhow we were getting on the freeway and it being a beautiful day and no one in front of us I wicked it up a bit. I pinned it through second and third, then partly through fourth and shut it down and decelerating and easing into traffic. My buddy's yellow CBR was right in my mirror the whole time. I don't know exactly what speed we hit but at a glance I did see the needle at 130mph. Smart, no, fun well hell yes.

So we are now cruising with traffic and taking a ramp to a different freeway. As I am coming around the ramp and about 200 yards from entering the freeway I check my mirror as I always do. I see a grey Dodge Charger with tinted windows and my mind says "Hey that looks like a Stater" and just then the lights came on... uh oh. I immediately pull over in the medium between the ramps, shut off the bike, put down the sidestand and put my hands on the tank. I pulled over so fast my buddy didn't even see the cop untill we were stopped.

I watched him in my mirror get out of the car, he was definitely ex-military, my guess is a non-com. The walk, posture, etc, the man was squared away. He had numerous stripes on the sleeve denoting years of service as well as the rank of Sergeant. Basically he has seen and heard it all and I know we are screwed.

He approaches me first and says in what sounds like a Long Island accent, "You guys were really hot getting on the freeway, really hot" I looked him straight in the eye, nodded my head and answered affirmatively so he could hear through my helmet and freeway noise "Yes sir!". He then continued, "I couldn't get a gun on you but you were well above a hundred miles an hour." [As an aside in my state currently that is considered reckless driving and grounds for arrest and vehicle impound if they choose.] I nodded my head again and answered in the affirmative. He continued," May I have your license please? are you endorsed?" I answered yes and said it was in my left pocket and asked if I could reach for it, he nodded, I gave it to him and he said "wait here."

Now the whole time I am berating myself for being stupid and know I am getting at the very least a big fat ticket. After a few minutes he comes back, hands me my license and starts to speak. "Look, I want you two to slow it down, Glad to see your wearing the proper gear and you didn't run. I ride too and I know on a day like this its tempting to wind it up but its way to busy around here for that crap. So be safe and slow it down... Capiche?" " Yes sir, thank you sir!" was my reply

Still can't believe he let us go but he did. If I had been a jackass I am sure we would have been done.

Sometimes...Sometimes attitude makes all the difference. Most times though, if I pull someone over, they are getting cited. The rest get the "Slow down, or fix that" warning and get let go.

It is just as possible to talk your way into a ticket as it is to talk your way out of one. Very seldom do I give a cite or a warning based on a person's record, uness the record is just atrocious. However, anyone that feels the need to point out to me the fact that they haven't gotten a ticket in 20 years won't be able to say that in 10 minutes.

After finding out he rides a Gold Wing you should have said....

"Now I realize the problem, your used to an overweight bike without any power, appeal or relevance"

:p