I guess I'm not that hardcore...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That cleansing rain is happening today, and I'm meeting up with another rider to install some new tires. Next week promises some days in the 50s. May not sound great to some in the west and south, but I was riding in January at less than 10 F.

... I was riding in January at less than 10 F.
Lessee, 10F = -12C.

Brrrrrrrrrrr....
Well, the tires were stiff, but the roads were dry!
rolleyes.gif

Who cares if you're hard core? Ride when you want, ride where you want, and ride how you want. The rest of the world can got to hell.

Don't forget your application for the Candy Butt Association!

Who cares if you're hard core? Ride when you want, ride where you want, and ride how you want. The rest of the world can got to hell.
Don't forget your application for the Candy Butt Association!
Hell yeah! Ride across pedestrian bridges and through malls, like that HD ADV rider in Surrey, BC
pirate.gif

We're rebels and daredevils, man!
lmaosmiley.gif

Seeing as I commute everyday...thought I would chime in here. This was the first winter of my "riding career" and holy crap was it cold!!! In fact, DC area had the coldest February on record in years but that didn't dampen my spirit to ride. I did however have to upgrade to heated glove liners (yeah, yeah...I wimped out) but that was the only heated accessory in my riding gear. February also dumped a bunch of snow...VA and DC DOT's also dumped a bunch of salt chloride/sand mixture on the roads. I probably cleaned the bike 3-4 times a week.

Wow! didn't realize the pic was going to be that freakin' big...oh well! I'm sure someone will point me to the thread on how to post a pic!
tonguesmiley.gif
Anyone want to calculate what the windchill was on this one at 75 MPH?

2015-02-18%20Just%20Plain%20Cold_zpsjzcjaqv6.png

^^^Make sure you get the salt solution out that has penetrated between the nuts, washers, and bolts...

...unless that is something you don't mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get nervous at those low temperatures not (strictly) due to my comfort, or snow/ice/etc on the roads, but even for the simple road temperatures and the ineffectiveness of the motorcycle tires. I know on my cars, there is a very noticeable difference in traction (even dry traction) between my summer tires and winter tires when the temps dip below around 40F.

^^^Make sure you get the salt solution out that has penetrated between the nuts, washers, and bolts...
No, I'm very meticulous with my bike and will be doing a full inspection as soon as I have a free weekend day where it's relatively warm and not raining. My main concern at the time was to get all the salt/sand removed from the underside crevices, exhaust, rotors, radiator, paint etc.'cause I can't afford to be replacing it right now. When I'm out, I've actually had people come up and ask what year it is. When I tell them it's an '05 they say they thought it was brand new and how good it looks (of course some think it's a BMW too, Doh!).

I get nervous at those low temperatures not (strictly) due to my comfort, or snow/ice/etc on the roads, but even for the simple road temperatures and the ineffectiveness of the motorcycle tires. I know on my cars, there is a very noticeable difference in traction (even dry traction) between my summer tires and winter tires when the temps dip below around 40F.
I just replaced the tires this past week but i have not heard anyone say before that they had winter and summer tires. Interesting. This was my first time venturing into the territory of taking the wheels off but wanted to thoroughly inspect the axles, splines, seals etc. and found out it's cheaper than taking the whole bike to the shop and have them do it. Thank God though for Google and You Tube (next time it won't take near as long)! I had a local shop put the tires on so they could be computer balanced.

I had Michelin Road Pilots on and put quite a few miles on them but never felt like they weren't gripping the road. Then again, I was mostly straight-line riding and not hardcore twisties.

No, I'm very meticulous with my bike and will be doing a full inspection as soon as I have a free weekend day where it's relatively warm and not raining. My main concern at the time was to get all the salt/sand removed from the underside crevices, exhaust, rotors, radiator, paint etc.'cause I can't afford to be replacing it right now. When I'm out, I've actually had people come up and ask what year it is. When I tell them it's an '05 they say they thought it was brand new and how good it looks (of course some think it's a BMW too, Doh!).
This:

ACF50_LRG.jpg

I just replaced the tires this past week but i have not heard anyone say before that they had winter and summer tires. Interesting. This was my first time venturing into the territory of taking the wheels off but wanted to thoroughly inspect the axles, splines, seals etc. and found out it's cheaper than taking the whole bike to the shop and have them do it. Thank God though for Google and You Tube (next time it won't take near as long)! I had a local shop put the tires on so they could be computer balanced.

I had Michelin Road Pilots on and put quite a few miles on them but never felt like they weren't gripping the road. Then again, I was mostly straight-line riding and not hardcore twisties.
To be clear, the summer and winter tires are for the cars; I'm not aware of any winter specific motorcycle tires. The point I was trying to make is that on (car) winter tires, they're made with different rubber compounds that perform better not just in snow and ice, but even in dry conditions at sub-40 degree temperatures.

I'm guessing the typical "sport-touring" tire that most of us use are probably closer to the "summer tire" end of that rubber compound spectrum...and as such, performance at colder temperatures is far less than ideal.

To be clear, the summer and winter tires are for the cars; I'm not aware of any winter specific motorcycle tires. The point I was trying to make is that on (car) winter tires, they're made with different rubber compounds that perform better not just in snow and ice, but even in dry conditions at sub-40 degree temperatures.

I'm guessing the typical "sport-touring" tire that most of us use are probably closer to the "summer tire" end of that rubber compound spectrum...and as such, performance at colder temperatures is far less than ideal.
Oh, Ok. Now that I re-read it, it makes sense. Guess i didn't follow the train of thought through the end of the sentence. Thanks for clarifying. Thought I was missing out on something.

Just got out for the first time this year! The first ride of the year feels incredible......you guys that live in year round riding climates don't know what you are missing
bleh.gif
Damn right! I got out on Saturday for my first ever pre-St.Patrick's Day ride. It was gooooood.
coolsmiley02.gif

This is the view out my front door at the moment. That is my Nissan Rogue buried under the snow, looks like it will be a few more sleeps before I get to go riding.
cold.gif
https://i402.photobuc...zpsgufndkru.jpg
Looks like you've got it all cued up for a Nissan commercial, NSrider! This might not make you feel any better but I kind of envy you. I enjoy winter and we've had very little of it this year in the West (I guess we blame it on El Nino). Anyhow, break out the snowshoes or wax up the skis and enjoy!

Get an all-weather tyre on the back.....then you can ride in anything. Then, post a pic of someone's snake lube and see if there are any questions about it's ability to do what it is supposed to do.