I Have A Bad Attitude

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgot to add – miles ridden Friday, 4/21/2012: 497.5

Saturday, 4/22/2012.

After our almost-500-mile day yesterday, and our adventure with the bike, and our awesome dinner at Hudson’s, and a quite entertaining night-cap at Applebee’s, we slept like rocks. We needed it.

Saturday morning dawned bright, sunny, and warm. We took our time since we knew today would be a low-mileage day. By the time we got up and about, it was already in the mid-70’s, so we loaded up and headed out.

IMG_2466.jpg

Since Parris Island is nearby, there is a lot of Marine Corps “stuff” in the area, including this which was in our hotel parking lot.

IMG_2467.jpg

What we did not see when we got in last night (‘cause it was dark and all that) was that our hotel was right on some of the local marshes.

IMG_2468.jpg

IMG_2469.jpg

It’s a bit of a bitch to see this dinky hotel sign at night when there’s traffic right on your ass.

IMG_2472.jpg

We had plenty of time, so I just picked a road and rode.

IMG_2474.jpg

Took us by stuff like this.

IMG_2475.jpg

IMG_2476.jpg

And through historic Beaufort. This is one cool place, if you ask me.

IMG_2477.jpg

Heading across the bridge.

IMG_2478.jpg

I was kinda curious how far close to the Atlantic we could get, so that’s where we headed.

The scenery did not suck.

IMG_2479.jpg

It was perfect day to Ride.

IMG_2480.jpg

More marsh land.

IMG_2481.jpg

And bridges and stuff.

IMG_2482.jpg

It wasn’t red, so I didn’t stop.

IMG_2483.jpg

There were quite a few hole-in-the-wall bars and saloons with catchy sea-inspired names along the way. Too many to count, much less remember any specific one.

IMG_2484.jpg

I swung the bike into here, thinking we’d check out the lighthouse, but they were asking something like $15 a person. Screw that. Not worth $30 for us to pay for the privilege to take a few pictures and buy some made-in-China trash & trinkets. Maybe next time, though….

IMG_2485.jpg

Made for an interesting 180 riding a fully-loaded, 2-up Ultra.

IMG_2486.jpg

‘Twas right about here.

Yep, pretty sure it was right about here.

IMG_2487.jpg

It took … what? 800? 900 miles in the saddle? Something like that.

Took that long.

The Zen Moment.

When we went out west in 2010, it took something like 4 days and we were riding across Montana when Metallica’s “One” came on XM for me to get The Zen Moment.

This time, it was just putzing along on US 21 between Beaufort, NC, and Fripp Island when it happened.

Kicked back, chilling, enjoying just being on the road with my wife, and Coldplay’s “Viva La Vida” came on.

It got to me. I got the chills. My nips got hard.

Zen.

One with my wife, my bike, my environment….

It was awesome.

It’s why I ride. It’s why this ride happened.

For the Zen moment that my craptastic attitude needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
After dicking around in the parking lot for a while, I realized I was not gonna fix whatever was going on with the bike. It ran fine, don't get me wrong, it was just that … well, take a look and tell me what's wrong with this picture.

IMG_2452.jpg

Hmm?

Anyone?

Bueller?

Anyone??
I see the speedo reading the typical top speed for a Harley. What's wrong with that??

We wound up at Thunder Tower HD.

IMG_2453.jpg

I went in and talked with the fellas at the service desk. After initially being told that they don't service bikes from Ohio (gotta love a service guy from Michigan with a sense of humor!),..
This sounds like an excellent rule to me then maybe you will actually learn to work on your bike instead of making Ray pull his hair out trying to figure out what you broke this time.

Ray doesn't have that much hair left.

Now check this out – this dude just pushed the bike – fully loaded, so we're talking 1000+ pounds – right up the little ramp into the service bay. I'm still impressed – no way this scrawny geek coulda done that.

IMG_2454.jpg
+1000 lbs??? Next time leave the kitchen sink at home!!

... Let me just say that – Garmin? WTF are you guys DOING?!?!? We kinda knew where it was, so I punched it into the Zumo and … it was trying to take us to another island

?!?

After a minute in a parking lot consulting with our smart<?> phones, we had the right address and were on our way.

Stupid Zumo.
I told you at NAFO not to let Bungie anywhere near your Zumo but you wouldn't listen. That poor Zumo is FUBAR now.

Don't mind me. I'm just cranky because it is trying to snow outside and I want to go for a ride but I'm coming down with a cold. I think I'm going to have a Rye & Coke instead, strictly for medicinal purposes you understand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice ride report, Andy, and more great piccies from Sooze. I could almost feel you decompressing through the report.

Way to break on through to the other side!! :yahoo:

Fantastic Ride Report Andy and Sooze, you two sure know how to live and enjoy life to the fullest with big smiles! Old Michael and Papa Chuy knew there would be more here than just naked pictures of Geek around the pool, we weren't complaining though.

Andy & Sooze, if'n you've got a "few" extra hours, come on down and pay me a visit and I'll buy you the best fish sandwich you ever put in your mouth!

(My manatee buddies know where the tastiest ones live!)
Check the SPOTwalla link in the first page, 'Howie.

We're kinda back home now.

Thanks for the "too lake to make good on it" offer, though. :blink: ;)

:)

Timing IS everything, y'know! :D :D

Ya still gotta get home. I see the black tractor got you there, but where is the photographic evidence?

Nice report, as usual, Andy. I hope you and Sooze decide to escape to Arkansas for SFO this year.

Very cool ride report. I'm gonna have to ride back east some year.............................

Yes indeed another Great Geek's Ride Report :yahoo: good for you Andy to get out on the road with Sooze and come back with a new attitude and another RR to share with us. Glad you got the ZEN before the wonderful Sooze had to kick yer ass ta smarrten ya up! Dont let the work shit get to ya. Bike therapy works wonders yes??

Very cool ride report. I'm gonna have to ride back east some year.............................
We'll have to wave as we pass one another. I need to find my way out to the Utah area and westward.

Nice ride report, but it needs more pictures of Mrs. Geek. I hope you are back at work with a new perspective, (but still actually doing some work ;) ).

On the Spotwalla link it looks like you leaped over Kentucky. Is that something that happens once in a while when using SPOT tracking or did you let your batteries run down or something?

well babe, how's the "tude" now??
Call me honey badger, 'cause I don't give a shit. Not sure if that's better or not...

Nice ride report, but it needs more pictures of Mrs. Geek.
Pervert. :D

On the Spotwalla link it looks like you leaped over Kentucky. Is that something that happens once in a while when using SPOT tracking or did you let your batteries run down or something?
You nailed it - I let the batteries get low. I didn't realize that it quit tracking when the batteries got low. Lesson learned.

More ride report to come. Got stuff going on for a coupla days...

Stress.

Stress is a funny thing. And I don’t mean hah-hah funny. I doubt you do, too, unless you’re one of those weirdos that think clowns are hah-hah funny instead of what they really are: creepy funny.

Stress can influence a person to do extraordinary things. You know the old tale of the dude who lifted a burning 85-gazillion-ton wreck off his kid and saved the whippersnapper’s life. That kind of extraordinary thing.

Then there’s other stress. The kind where you feel like you’ve got a 900 pound gorilla on your back and the fucker is squeezing you to the point where it is difficult to draw a breath. I hate that kind of stress. I know that I hate it because that’s the crap that I’d been carrying around with me for months on end, non-stop, day-in, day-out. This stuff takes a toll on you physically, emotionally, spiritually; it impacts those around you – your friends, family, loved ones, spouses.

There are people in this world who relish that type of stress. The revel in it. They thrive on it. They need it. If ya ask me, those people must think clowns are hah-hah funny, ‘cause they just ain’t right. Needless to say, I am not one of those people who is wired to need that crap. And, for the record, clowns are creepy funny.

When I had my Zen moment, I had to look in the mirror to see if a 900-pound gorilla was bouncing down the road since I just jimmy-kicked him right off my back. Literally, I didn’t see him, but figuratively – in my weird head – I think I did, actually. It was a beautiful sight and a beautiful feeling. I could breathe without feeling like that damn gorilla was trying to squeeze my guts outta me. Finally.

We eventually made it just about as far as we could go – Fripp Island.

IMG_2488.jpg

Crossing over the bridge onto the island was a guard shack. Seems to me there were fees to go on the island. After our encounter with the last guard dude in this region last fall, I said screw it, pulled a quick 180, and we went back the way we came.

More of the scenery along the way.

IMG_2489.jpg

We did stop at the Hunting Island State Park Nature Center or whatever it was called. Not really much for us to see other than one BIG pier stretching out into the water.

IMG_2490.jpg

Terrapin crossing sign. We certainly do not see these signs in Ohio.

IMG_2491.jpg

Fishing boats.

IMG_2492.jpg

We saw this when we were going to other way and had quite the good laugh. Think about it…

IMG_2494.jpg

Boats moored out in the harbor.

IMG_2495.jpg

Heading back to Beaufort.

IMG_2496.jpg

It was a nice, warm spring morning.

IMG_2497.jpg

IMG_2498.jpg

It is not a very long way from Beaufort to where we were ultimately headed: Savannah, GA. But I’ll tell you what – as f’n pokey as the old farts are around there, it coulda taken us all damn day! Sheesh…

IMG_2499.jpg

Headed to one BIIIG bridge.

IMG_2500.jpg

I’m pretty sure my buddy Bungie would be getting sweaty palms right about now.

IMG_2502.jpg

See that mini-van in right lane up a ways? All I have to say is that guy is an asshole. He we blowing by me at a closer-than-I’m-comfortable-with range and hauled ass across the bridge. Pennsylvania plates. I wonder if he’s related to the Pride Of Pennsylvania we encountered back in 2010 out in Montana. Idiots.

IMG_2503.jpg

This bridge is SERIOUSLY steep – container ships sail underneath this bridge.

IMG_2504.jpg

San Diego or bust? On a scooter?!? Dang!!!

IMG_2505.jpg

OK – my curiosity got the best of me, so I looked it up. Looks like scooters run their own Cannonball Run! Who’da thunk?!?

Savannah is definitely an old city, and the buildings look it. Of course, there was construction.

IMG_2506.jpg

IMG_2508.jpg

Lots of people were out and about this warm spring day.

IMG_2509.jpg

IMG_2510.jpg

We got to our hotel in the historic area of downtown Savannah, got checked in early, and plopped the bike in the hotel’s secure underground garage, right next to a big-old BMW bagger. More on that later.

After getting the bike unloaded, we changed our riding gear for some walk-about gear and did just that – we headed out to spend the afternoon exploring Savannah.

Just down the road was a micro-brewery. Guess where we went??

Patiently awaiting our table and people-watching.

IMG_2511.jpg

We each got their sampler of their locally-brewed drafts.

IMG_2512.jpg

Those were some pretty tasty beverages.

IMG_2513.jpg

Sooze had this to eat.

IMG_2514.jpg

I had this.

IMG_2515.jpg

When we did the touristy tour thing last fall, we went through the riverfront area. We decided to focus our time in this area.

IMG_2516.jpg

Remember what I said about the container ships? Here is one coming in and sailing under the bridge we rode across a little while ago.

IMG_2517.jpg

This is a monument to local soldiers who fought in World War II.

IMG_2518.jpg

IMG_2519.jpg

Heavy stuff.

IMG_2520.jpg

Lots to see and do in this area. Bars, restaurants, shops ‘O trash ‘N trinkets, hotels, you name it.

IMG_2521.jpg

That container ship was slowly making its way through the channel.

IMG_2522.jpg

Note the Westin in the background. Personally, I was surprised that the container ship was maneuvering the channel without a tug boat.

IMG_2523.jpg

I thought this fountain was kinda cool.

IMG_2524.jpg

Being a beautiful Saturday, lots of people were out and about.

IMG_2525.jpg

Quite frankly, mah dear…

IMG_2526.jpg

There were several boats moored along the walkway. I thought this one was very creative.

IMG_2527.jpg

IMG_2529.jpg

I thought this was a neat statue, with an inscription related to slavery.

IMG_2530.jpg

Down the way was an art fair. With a clown. What’s worse than a clown? A clown making those balloon animals.

IMG_2531.jpg

It’s not a REAL paddle-wheeler.

IMG_2532.jpg

Lots of people selling various forms of “art.” I never cease to be amazed at what some people call “art.”

IMG_2533.jpg

Tug boats are a helluva lot bigger than you think… Note the ski boat in the foreground.

IMG_2534.jpg

These guys were doing some kind of improv-rap and dance thing. They weren’t that good, but they were funny.

IMG_2535.jpg

This made me laugh… “Dailey.”

IMG_2536.jpg

Another tug.

IMG_2537.jpg

This was some kind of oil or gas cargo ship. It had big “No Smoking” signs painted all over the place.

IMG_2538.jpg

And another smaller one went the other way.

IMG_2539.jpg

Stairs To Nowhere. It reminded Sooze and I of something where we work that we called, “The Bridge To Nowhere.”

IMG_2540.jpg

Watch that first step – it’s a doozey!!

IMG_2541.jpg

Fannie and Bob…

IMG_2542.jpg

After a stop in the Savannah HD shirt shop because, well, I just don’t have enough t-shirts, we wandered down to this statue. You may remember this from our touristy tour last fall. This time we’re on the other side of the statue.

IMG_2543.jpg

She is waving at the ships.

IMG_2545.jpg

So I waved back. Seemed like the gentlemanly thing to do.

IMG_2546.jpg

We headed back the other way, checking out various shops and whatnot.

IMG_2547.jpg

You kinda had to watch your step on the cobblestones. It would be easy to twist an ankle.

IMG_2548.jpg

IMG_2549.jpg

IMG_2551.jpg

IMG_2553.jpg

IMG_2558.jpg

Latest posts