I rode my new FJR home from the dealer today - Clunk/rattle!/lower fairing issue?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossKean

Reaction score
Tell me how you deal with the plastic push-pin fasteners. Do you buy new ones?
I assume you are talking about the ones where you push in the pin so it is recessed (as opposed to the type with the Phillips-like head). Pin is flush with the rivet initially.

1702153983724.png

I typically use an Allen wrench or small screwdriver to push the pin in one notch. If you can access the bottom, you can easily push the whole rivet out. If not accessible, you can pull it out with a fingernail under the flange. When reinstalling, remove the pin completely and set the rivet in the hole. Insert the pin in from the top until it clicks flush with the flange. Photo above shows pin pushed in to the first stop for insertion - this works too as the only point where the rivet is expanded is when the top is flush. Pin is "captive" by the rivet in the outer position, when flush and when pushed in one notch. Pushing further will push the pin through so it can be reinserted from the top. Don't think I have ever ruined one although I did lose the pin somewhere in the bowels of the bike at one time.
Note: The ones on the inner front fairing are not all the same length!! Make sure you don't mix them up - it matters.

The screw head ones work pretty well but easier to damage. Best way is to rotate the "screw" a quarter to half turn counterclockwise and push out from below if accessible. You don't really even need a screwdriver to reinstall but if you do, don't twist too much.

I rode my new FJR home from the dealer today. It was 38 degrees F outside. It was a 25 minute ride home. I traded in my '16 Ninja1000SX. I noticed lots of clunks and rattles comming from somewhere in the front of the bike when riding at medium speeds and low speeds over rough (average for Wisconsin) pavement. I tried lowering and raising the wind screen and grabbing and holding the windscreen while going over bumpy pavement - and it didn't quiet or stop the rattle/clunks.

Is this normal for a new FJR1300?

I'm guessing it could be a combination of the front suspension topping out and the fairing just rattling?

My guess is the floating rotors. See if it still happens if you LIGHTLY apply front brake. If so, this will decrease over time as dirt builds up in the bobbins.

Of course, you should make sure that something isn't loose up front. Cowling, brake caliper etc.

FJRs are not normally "clunky"

New 2024 FJR with no miles?

Doesn't sound normal unless it's brake rotor float. I can't recall for sure, but besides for sure installing the front wheel, I think maybe they torque head bearings and put on the handlebars. Maybe setup was an issue.

Also, double-check they loctited the saddlebag lock screws. Some dealers miss that one too.

New 2024 FJR with no miles?

Doesn't sound normal unless it's brake rotor float. I can't recall for sure, but besides for sure installing the front wheel, I think maybe they torque head bearings and put on the handlebars. Maybe setup was an issue.

Also, double-check they loctited the saddlebag lock screws. Some dealers miss that one too.
It’s a brand new 2023 with 0 miles.

Given the weather here, riding will be sparse until April.

I rode my new FJR home from the dealer today. It was 38 degrees F outside. It was a 25 minute ride home. I traded in my '16 Ninja1000SX. I noticed lots of clunks and rattles comming from somewhere in the front of the bike when riding at medium speeds and low speeds over rough (average for Wisconsin) pavement. I tried lowering and raising the wind screen and grabbing and holding the windscreen while going over bumpy pavement - and it didn't quiet or stop the rattle/clunks.

Is this normal for a new FJR1300?

I'm guessing it could be a combination of the front suspension topping out and the fairing just rattling?
It could be your dash chattering.

I would try to find the 'smoothest' road I could, then find some isolated imperfections and see if I could better isolate the area of concern. Good luck and hoping it's just something simple. You could also put it up on the center stand and do some static inspections in the area of noise.

Put it on the center stand, have someone sit on the passenger seat or weight it down somehow. Grab the front forks and pull back and forth to see if there is any play or noise. That will tell you if the steering head bearing is properly torqued. You can also check the rotors at the same time as previously mentioned. Just my 2cents. ;)

It could be your dash chattering.

In the video, he starts by describing "buzzing" at a certain engine RPM. My FJR issue is not related to engine speed or RPM. The clunking/rattling happens when I ride over bumps or somewhat rough pavement, like a normal subdivision with concrete pavement. I can drive the streets in my subdivision in my Honda Accord (or even my Ninja1000 that I just traded in) and not even notice these bumps. But my new FJR complains loudly.

More data -

With the bike off the kick stand, when I roll the bike forward and apply the front brake while pushing down and forward on the handlebars - I hear and feel a "clunk".

Then, again with the bike off the kick stand, I push down on the handlebars, compress then rebound the front suspension, without touching the brake - I don't hear or feel a clunk.

Could this be the floating rotor "play"?

If so, then why does it clunk when I ride in my subdivision, while not applying the brake?

In the video, he starts by describing "buzzing" at a certain engine RPM. My FJR issue is not related to engine speed or RPM. The clunking/rattling happens when I ride over bumps or somewhat rough pavement, like a normal subdivision with concrete pavement. I can drive the streets in my subdivision in my Honda Accord (or even my Ninja1000 that I just traded in) and not even notice these bumps. But my new FJR complains loudly.
Both my 2006 and 2017 plus a chums 2018 did the same thing. It is an annoyance but in over 100,000 kms no failures so I put it down to possibly the floating pads. BTY the stealership and our local guy were stumped as well. My car (BMW) did the same thing when I used after market pads.

Could this be the floating rotor "play"?

If so, then why does it clunk when I ride in my subdivision, while not applying the brake?

Bike on centre stand, sit at one side facing fromt wheel, grasp brake rotor edge as near opposite points as you can. Try rotating it forwards and backwards with a jerking motion. Repeat other side. If you hear or feel any sort of clunk, that is most likely your noise.

If so, nothing. to worry about, it will go away after a few thousand miles as mentioned earlier.

If that is where your noise is coming from, with the brake applied, it holds the rotor in the forward position, no noise.

All four of my FJRs have done this.

Last edited: